Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using the same character multiple times rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perfect X
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the rules prevent you from using the same character (here/villain/mastermind) more than once in the game?

For example, can you have the following combinations in the same game session?
• Spider-Man and Peter Parker
• Jean Grey, Phoenix and Dark Phoenix
• Wolverine (base), Wolverine (Dark City) and Old Man Logan

Do the rules prevent this because it does not make sense thematically or do they simply allow it you just run wile with your imagination?

I can understand having both Spider-Man and Peter Parker as heroes, because thematically he is fighting one moment with his mask and another without; but can Jean Grey and/or Phoenix battle Dark Phoenix in the same game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules wise, no, this is perfectly legit.

When I first got the spider man expansion I played an all Spiderman battle.

Theme wise, it's a harder sell, but hey these are comic book characters, use a little imagination, clones, time travel.
It all works out in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not prevent that. You can also have the same character as a hero, villain, and mastermind. Assume they are each from a different version of the marvel-verse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:
Theme wise, it's a harder sell, but hey these are comic book characters, use a little imagination, clones, time travel.
It all works out in the end.

Not that hard of a sell. There's no reason to "believe" that the different decks represent different versions of the same character working together. It's all just the same character, except instead of 4 different cards he has 8/12/etc different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it all the time. They work great. Just recently played a game with Wolverine (X-Men), Wolverine (X-Force), Colossus (X-Force), Soul Sword Colossus and Colossus & Wolverine. It was lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PerfectX wrote:
... can Jean Grey and/or Phoenix battle Dark Phoenix in the same game?

At the moment there's an event where TT Jean Grey and Phoenix are teaming up, so I don't see why even in-universe the continuity couldn't fragment once more so that they battle Dark Phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perfect X
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "TT Jean Grey" mean time-traveling Jean Grey?

TheUbiquitous wrote:
PerfectX wrote:
... can Jean Grey and/or Phoenix battle Dark Phoenix in the same game?

At the moment there's an event where TT Jean Grey and Phoenix are teaming up, so I don't see why even in-universe the continuity couldn't fragment once more so that they battle Dark Phoenix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yessir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternate versions of characters team up all the time in the comics - just look at the current Generations series for examples of this. A Secret Wars setup would also give some story justification.

We always like to start by explaining the setup, ie, if Spider-Man, Symbiote Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Peter Parker, and Spider-Man Noir are working together, we might say that different Spider-Men are teaming up to defeat a foe that threatens multiple dimensions at the same time (kind of like Spider-Verse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
I do it all the time. They work great. Just recently played a game with Wolverine (X-Men), Wolverine (X-Force), Colossus (X-Force), Soul Sword Colossus and Colossus & Wolverine. It was lots of fun.

I must try this, my wife is gonna love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Sobel
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This can actually be a lot of fun! Try doing an all Spider-Man game! Get Pete, Spider-Man, Symbiote Spider-Man, etc. and just have a blast. Think of it as your very own Spiderverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Quite a few comic stories have superheroes fighting alternate versions of themselves. Shortly before I stopped reading X-Men back in about 1997, Magneto had a fight against the X-Men, which included 'Joseph' who was some version of him (I missed the ending so I never found out exactly who or what Joseph was). The recent Secret Wars had default (616?) Reed Richards fight The Maker, which was the Ultimate Universe Reed Richards. I've been led to believe that such fights are perhaps not common but something more than a few comics eventually try. With the whole multiverse concepts and time travel concepts, most any writer can find a reason to have different versions of a character fight himself or herself.

I've personally never had a game with nothing but Colossus and Wolverine, but I have had one that comes close. Base Set Iron Man, Dr. Strange, Thor and Superior Iron Man (plus someone else) fought Uru Iron Man (Fear Itself's Mastermind), who led the Mighty (his team)and the Avengers. So two forms of Iron Man and Dr. Strange were fighting Iron Man and his team, including Dr. Strange and the Avengers, including Iron Man.

At some point I'm sure that Iron Man and War Machine fought, and the Superior Iron Man story arc has Superior Iron Man versus some Iron Man robot/program designed to stop Tony Stark gone bad, which describes Superior Iron Man pretty darn well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls