Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHLAMYS
by Giampiero Randazzo

Players: 2
Game Time: 20-30 minutes

Current Phase: Components Ready

Synopsis: Chlamys is a small mermaid who has to retrieve her friend Ostrica from the maze of Shell City... but the crabs are on guard to prevent everyone from entering or exiting... will Chlamys succeed in his mission?

Components: (Still in development)
1 Playng Table (it is a mini card puzzle)
1 Chlamys pawn
3 Ostrica pawns
6 Crabs pawns

Italian rules to translate

These are the original components of the game

I found a tin box of candy that has the required dimensions

But the game can also be in the smaller box

I had also thought of this solution, but I do not know if it can work

I'm working on the picture for the cover...

Set game ready to play

Components into tin box

the pawns are discs mounted on small plastic caps, but also can be used without these

COMPONENTS READY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
public the first impressions of local playtesters ...

1) you have to number the cards that make up the board .... just that is already a puzzle game!blush

2) The crabs must position outer the shell ... moving after inside to capture the mermaid ...

3) the crabs must move all in sequence ... eg. the crab first to move will return to move to the 5th move ... or the mermaid will have no chance to move ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you need to state that one player is Chlamys and one takes the crabs. Also, I didn't understand how crabs are eliminated. Are they removed from the board? And who moves first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
I think you need to state that one player is Chlamys and one takes the crabs. Also, I didn't understand how crabs are eliminated. Are they removed from the board? And who moves first?

I apologize for not explained well the rules ... I understand that the rules in Italian translated into English does not work well ...

I will explain the game better with the help of images ...

a player moves Chlamys; the mermaid must enter, avoid being caught by the crabs, retrieve Ostrica and get out to win the game...

a player moves all the crabs; they are on guard to prevent everyone from entering or exiting ... they must capture Chlamys three times to win in the game;

Ostrica is stuck in the center of the shell or in any other small circle near the center, to be determined before each game...

The first move is the player moving Chlamys;

Chlamys moves back and forth freely on lines with small circles, one at a time, and can not go on big circles;

the 4 crabs move sideways on the lines with large circles, one at a time, right or left and no can move on small circles;

the same crab can move every two turn of play;

If the mermaid has managed to pass and comes close to the central part of the path, where there are small circles, can move freely and retrieve her friend Ostrica... after, must resume the reverse path to get out of the labyrinth and not get caught by the crabs...

to capture Chlamys, crabs must surround the mermaid;

If Chlamys ends up in a circle occupied sideways by two crabs, she is captured away out from the path where it can start again ... at the third catch, the game ends with the crabs win.

If the crabs are aligned without Chlamys, they end up quarreling and are eliminated from the table.

Chlamys comes out of the shell with her friend Ostrica and wins!

In the base game you will use 1 Ostrica pawn and 4 crab pawns; in the advanced stages of the game and gained some experience, you can add another 2 Ostrica pawns to be placed at any point in the central area and 2 more crab pawns to increase the difficulty of the game.

I hope this is clearer this time ...

I will be happy to have your comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Completed the Tin Box Cover!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Worsham
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy!

I attempted to play your game over the weekend, but I had a little trouble getting past the first few moves without Chlamys getting caught by the crabs. So I have a couple of questions for you that I think would help clear up some of the rules for me.

First, what is the proper setup for the game? Are there specific locations for the crabs to start on? Also, do the crabs reset to these starting positions after Chlamys reaches Ostrica?

I ask this because the set up shown in your rulebook would allow for Chlamys to be captured after her first move into the shell every time.

The middle crab would only have to move once to the right after Chlamys stepped onto the second small circle.

Also, do the crabs eliminated from the game return to the board after Chlamys is successfully captured?

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to playing your game. I think the artwork looks fantastic.

Also, if you'd like any help in clarifying the rules in English I'd be happy to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdub027 wrote:
Howdy!

I attempted to play your game over the weekend, but I had a little trouble getting past the first few moves without Chlamys getting caught by the crabs. So I have a couple of questions for you that I think would help clear up some of the rules for me.

First, what is the proper setup for the game? Are there specific locations for the crabs to start on? Also, do the crabs reset to these starting positions after Chlamys reaches Ostrica?

I ask this because the set up shown in your rulebook would allow for Chlamys to be captured after her first move into the shell every time.

The middle crab would only have to move once to the right after Chlamys stepped onto the second small circle.

Also, do the crabs eliminated from the game return to the board after Chlamys is successfully captured?

Thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to playing your game. I think the artwork looks fantastic.

Also, if you'd like any help in clarifying the rules in English I'd be happy to help!

Thank you, you're so kind!

I think the best condition to start is that the crabs are all out of the spiral path spaced in a circle ... during the game they move inward so Chlamys has time to venture into the shell. .

or leave two crabs near the entrance of the shell and two in the opposite position ...

my playtesters have found the same difficulty and have tried in all ways ... just that I forgot to write ... I'm sorryblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Blast! Why did the cover art have to be so awesome!!!
Now I need you to develop an AI for me so I can play your game. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
Blast! Why did the cover art have to be so awesome!!!
Now I need you to develop an AI for me so I can play your game. devil

I can help you with graphics even if you do not try my game ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claud
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fatti non foste a viver come bruti, ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza
mb
Hi Giampiero,
in the playtesting I made, the crabs always win. They have just to wait that Chlamys comes in the right position to catch her. But maybe I have just not understood the rules. Could you please share the italian version of the rules! It might be easier for me to understand. Of course, posts will be in english language.
In my games there was also a bit of dead time, while 2 crabs are just moved back and forth, waiting for Chlamys to go near the other 2 crabs.

Maybe having a helper for Chlamys may improve the situation. Chlamys and the helper may be able to catch the crabs too! Tha capture crab does not disappear, it is just positioned on a default position for resurrected crabs.

I like a lot the asymmetry of the game, with different victory conditions for Chlamys and the crabs. Maybe the back of the map could show another map with a different configuration, in order to increase the game options.

I apologise that my comments are so general, if I come up with more detailed suggestions, I will test them and then let you know.

Thanks for your effort, the game seems very good, I need to better understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am preparing an animated simulation of a hypothetical game between Chlamys player and Crabs player ... so that game dynamics are clearer ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aeYvzDcM7oEsg9wmM8cdKTRHy7X...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nSWILiyeBIw9BXiiA57A8AtMs2g...

With the release of version 2 of the game and the ad rules that CHLAMYS is contest ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Kennington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the artwork in Chlamys, and the idea was strong - it felt like a re-themeing and twist of the traditional fox and geese game, but the rulebook is quite confusing on several issues. This is better illustrated with the helpful videos, but I felt the rulebook should really stand on its own.

I also have concerns about the replay value of this one - it feels like a game (at the moment) that will be "solvable".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nigel_hmg wrote:
I loved the artwork in Chlamys, and the idea was strong - it felt like a re-themeing and twist of the traditional fox and geese game, but the rulebook is quite confusing on several issues. This is better illustrated with the helpful videos, but I felt the rulebook should really stand on its own.

I also have concerns about the replay value of this one - it feels like a game (at the moment) that will be "solvable".

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it very much ... I'm sure the game needs improvements, and contest or not, I will continue to work on it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls