BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Sly [Mint Tin Design Contest 2017] [Contest Ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game designed for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest.

SLY PUZZLE GAME VERSION 4.0
Clarification: The link will bring you to both rules and components in one file. Rules are on pages 1-3. Components are on pages 4-7. Please follow print instructions on page 1.

In SLY, you may play Solitaire as cunning jewel thief Jack Sly, attempting to capture the Triade de Diamants, known as the only 3 identical diamonds in the world. In the asymmetrical 2-player game, another player takes on the role of Inspector Gregory Lestrade III, attempting to bring the master thief to justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Sly [Mint Tin Design Contest 2017] [Playtest Components Ready]
My 2nd Entry in the contest. Hopefully...
(I'll see how many more I like and give up on before the deadline.) whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This one looks fun! I followed the link but it didn't seem like the PnP files were there. Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jonas, thanks for your interest in the game. Did the link bring you to a rulebook on DeviantArt.com? The cards are on pages 3-6. (I placed them after the rules this time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Found it! Missed the button to download the first time. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far up to 4 play tests, and very close each game, but no wins. Gotta say, I'm moderately pleased, for the usual reasons. I'm more determined than ever to figure out a way to beat this thing. I have to see if I can beat EverSquad's 10 game losing streak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised (warned), I found an error in the rule book.
Version 1.1 is up now with the rule section added: Advancing Swap Cards
Hopefully, this will better help to explain why the phrase "Conveyor Sequence" is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news, I won during my 6th play-test.
Well within acceptable parameters for a solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Question to Players...

I love this game as a Solitaire Puzzle, but what if, using these same components, I made the game to be Asymmetrical with a Police Officer trying to stop Jack Sly?
Jack would control Slink and Sleight and the Police Officer would control SWAP, and decide which of the Prisons to flip first.
For each jewel Jack captured, he would gain 2 points. For each time Jack is put in Prison, the Police Officer would gain 2 Points. The Officer would also gain 1 point if Jack had to move adjacent to the 2, and the Jack Card would be flipped to continue play. The officer gains 1 point if he manages to lock down all cards. The first player to 6 points would win. However, in the event that all Brick Cards become locked (which ends the game), before the Officer has collected 5 other points, Jack wins by default. (Timing is everything.) Rather than resetting the board, Jack would simply escape the Prison each time he is caught.
The Officer would have 1 added rule... He may not place the 2 Brick Card adjacent to Jack.

Thoughts? Would you play the game this way? Since I have no game group (the reason I have become a designer of solitaire games in recent months), I would need this concept play-tested. Would you be willing to offer feedback?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question for you. Would the game be more appealing to you if I rethemed the game so it had a monkey swinging from vines, trying to avoid an alligator while collecting Bananas? If I built to that theme instead, I could reduce recommended age to 8+, rather than 10+ where it is now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I prefer the spy theme. I'm hoping to try this out this weekend. I'm a big fan of spy themed games (video and board).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, then, 4 options...
Poll
Sly is chiefly a puzzle game, so it can have multiple re-themes, and all actually feel rather natural. (None is really out of place.) Which version of Sly do you prefer? (Keep in mind, I may actually develop all of the below, and others recommended, if there is express interest shown. BUT I will not do Horror themes.)
Jack Sly: Diamond Eye (Present Version with gems and prisons)
Jack Sly: Global Spy (A Spy retheme with lazers, files, and enemy spies)
Jack Sly: Flying By (A jungle retheme with a monkey, vines, bananas, and hungry alligators)
Some other theme. I'll explain on the Sly Thread.
      14 answers
Poll created by XendoBreckett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for the spy-theme, but I like the sound of all of them. Wondering if Diamond Eye is a little too close thematically to Global Spy though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm now thinking more about launching this into a series. (I always do. I hate simply retheming games when there are so many interesting mechanics to try. And there are many naysayers who find retheming a game to be distasteful from the start, which I can sort of see.)

At this moment, I'm thinking Global Spy is a tough concept to tackle. I recently discovered I know very little about spies, though the concept intrigues me. I think I will reflect on that for a few days.

I'm actually personally more eager to work on the monkey and the alligator (which should be named Swinging High, btw... Typo early this morning.) since I always find the animal theme easier to approach when introducing my friends to my game design hobby. (Subsequently why I created Zoo Keeper.) And I think mechanically its easier to approach a simpler concept like monkeys, crocodiles and bananas, than the incredible world of espionage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Worsham
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried it out today! Clever puzzle game that plays very quickly. I lost in my first round due to locking every brick card. But the second time I won pretty handily, mostly due to paying closer attention to making sure I didn't lock so many brick cards. I do have some questions/rules clarifications:

This might just be an issue for me and my clumsy cutting skills, but I found it difficult to get accurate cuts on the cards without some cutting guides since many of the cards are borderless with white backgrounds.

When I move Jack, does he flip to face the direction he's moving? Say he's initially facing left and then I opt to move right 2 spaces. Do I flip him so that he's now facing to the right or does he face left throughout the game unless he runs into the "3" card?

During the sleight phase, am I allowed to swap placeholder bags for Stage cards, or am I only allowed to swap Stage cards when using a "1" or "7" action?

If I reveal the Jewel Card beneath Sly to be a Jewel, do I automatically collect it, or do I have to move off of that space and back onto it in order to collect the jewel? Similarly, can I swap an uncovered Jewel for whatever Stage Card I'm currently standing on and then collect it?

One last clarification: During the Swap Phase, if the first swap card corresponds to a locked card and the other two won't lock when swapped, do I just continually swap the unlocked cards through the end of the game, or do I discard one of the unlocked cards, or..? Said another way: if I have 1, 3, and 6 showing and 1 is locked, 3 is in the 2nd position, and 6 is in the 5th position, I know that I have to swap 3&6. However, neither of these was the first card in the Conveyor Sequence and by your rule "Once the first card in the Conveyor Sequence has been used, discard it, sliding the remaining cards one space to the left (typo here)." There is no rule for discarding the second or third card in this scenario.

Thanks! I think I'll be playing this one again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdub027 wrote:

This might just be an issue for me and my clumsy cutting skills, but I found it difficult to get accurate cuts on the cards without some cutting guides since many of the cards are borderless with white backgrounds.
Sorry about that. Up until a few months ago, I haven't designed a lot of Print&Play, so I'm still learning here. I have some simple ideas I'm going to try to fix this in the days ahead. But if you have suggestions, I'd be eager to hear them. Also, was your printer able to print the cards double sided, or did you print on separate sheets?

Quote:
When I move Jack, does he flip to face the direction he's moving? Say he's initially facing left and then I opt to move right 2 spaces. Do I flip him so that he's now facing to the right or does he face left throughout the game unless he runs into the "3" card?
This may look a little weird (I know), but he doesn't flip unless as a Sleight action due to the Flip Jack indicator, which is only on the "3" card.

Quote:
During the sleight phase, am I allowed to swap placeholder bags for Stage cards, or am I only allowed to swap Stage cards when using a "1" or "7" action?

Yes, swapping Placeholders for Stage cards is acceptable. The Term Placeholder is there to imply it is holding the place of a Stage Card, and should be treated the same way. The only difference it these Placeholders aren't in play at the start of the game, but are used to replace the gems you capture. I hope that makes sense.

Quote:
If I reveal the Jewel Card beneath Sly to be a Jewel, do I automatically collect it...?
Yes. (Keeping this simple.) This is considered fair play. (And it would feel very awkward if it didn't work this way.
Quote:
Similarly, can I swap an uncovered Jewel for whatever Stage Card I'm currently standing on and then collect it?

This one I was kicking myself. I tend to omit far too much when I'm writing out the rules for my games. When you swap the card Jack is on for another card, Jack stays on his current card, even as you move it to a new location.

Quote:
One last clarification: During the Swap Phase, if the first swap card corresponds to a locked card and the other two won't lock when swapped, do I just continually swap the unlocked cards through the end of the game? Said another way: if I have 1, 3, and 6 showing and 1 is locked, 3 is in the 2nd position, and 6 is in the 5th position, I know that I have to swap 3&6. However, neither of these was the first card in the Conveyor Sequence and by your rule "Once the first card in the Conveyor Sequence has been used, discard it, sliding the remaining cards one space to the left (typo here)."

I don't know how this will happen. You would continue to swap these cards, yes, but after having discarded your 5th Swap Card, you would shuffle the 5 discards and replace them so they wind up in different order. Eventually, even if on the millionth swap, (and I'm sure the mathematicians could tell me some precise calculation on the maximum number of swaps), all of your cards will indelibly wind up in their locked position.
Continuing from the example above, the first time, (perhaps rarely even the 2nd or 3rd time) you may be swapping Card 3 with Card 6. But eventually, you'll Swap Card 3 with the card that belongs where you just moved Card 3 from. And, as indicated, the other card may become locked, and when it and Card 1 are both locked, and in the same Swap sequence, as you described, Card X will be removed from play. (Resulting in fewer cards, increasing the rate at which cards will become locked into place.)

Personally, as a side note, it is really cool to me that somebody can still lose that way. (And please don't consider that an insult. I know it happened by accident, as you described.) Still, you must have started in a really nasty position to begin with. Do you remember how many cards were locked at first?

Thanks for playing, Jesse, and thanks for your responses; these will help tremendously as I continue to revise the rule book for clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to figure out GLOBAL SPY. (Which, I'm beginning to think I will call Double Spy instead). It's going to have all 3 types of cards, but in this case, the game will be a "Match a Pair" memory game (like your preschooler can play, but much, much cooler cool ), with 3 agents on two cards each, and a third collection of Enemy Agents that will gradually infiltrate the cards, lurking and hunting him.

The SWAP Cards will also represent Jack's Health, so that he has 6 health to start with (note, in this version there will only be 6 cards per type), and he will hold that card until he loses a health, effectively locking one card in place at a time. (The locked card will switch as he loses health.)

He will first choose an Agent Card at random.
The Agent Card also indicates an Alignment that Agent will have when Jack uncovers the 2nd, and he may need to FLIP, changing his alignment, as he searches for the 2nd agent of the type.
Next, the other 6 Agent Cards (which will replace the Stage cards in our current game) will be placed face-down. 6 Country Cards (replacing the Brick cards, featuring 6 fake countries) will be placed on top of these, but the agent cards hidden beneath these will swap often.

Each country to which Jack travels will give him a list of 3 countries he can travel to from each card (no more directions). Whenever he moves, he will have the option of revealing the Agent card beneath the card he moves to. He will try to find all 3 pairs of Agents before he is defeated. But when an Agent is discovered, as Jack moves to another country to search for his next pair of Agents, an Enemy Agent card will replace the previous Agent card, ramping up difficulty.

Agents uncovered will also recover Jack's health.

When Jack moves to find another Agent with the wrong Alignment, he will lose 1 health. But if Jack moves to a country where the permanent ENEMY agent is located, he will lose 2 health instead.

You will determine which Alignment Jack has by flipping Jack.

(I know this is clear as mud right now, but it will make sense when you see a working prototype.)

For the sake of our contest, I will only have the present Jack Sly game in the voting. (Simply because Releasing a dozen games under the guise of one wouldn't be fair to the other designers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Sleight phase, if I swap the tile Jack is on, does he activate the brick card he is now facing (similar to the flip action)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joshua,
Reflecting on that, I'm going to say No. The results of doing so would possibly lead to an endless loop. For example, what would stop the player from swapping Jack into another position where he could be swapped again and again. Technically that loop may already happen somewhat with the 3 Brick Card, but in that case, Swapping Jack from one side of the 3 to the other wouldn't be highly useful. In other words, these effects must have some limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Agent Jack

As I have it right now, this is going to be a sequel. Jewel Thief Jack gets captured by the authorities who release him so the government can use him as a secret agent. He's gotten into tighter spots before, so why not Ukristan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other artwork...
These are a couple of Country Cards.
When visiting Andolisia, you may swap 2 Agent Cards.
When visiting Deluvia, you may examine 2 Agent Cards anywhere but Deluvia. You must return these face-down beneath the Country Cards.

Max may examine an agent card at any time, but if he's not the right alignment, he will lose 1 of his health, and if the Agent Card is a Ninja placeholder, he will lose 2 of his health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I've got most of the mechanisms in play, all of the fronts, but no backs designed, for Jack Sly-Double Spy. I'm also working this game into my other work, Spy Tactics. So that part is kind of fun for me. I'm beginning to see a really interesting picture for this game. (Thanks for the earlier suggestion about Spies. I only hope the game is as good as I imagine. If so, I should be able to get you set up and playing soon.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Sly Double Spy

Please keep in mind, this is just for fun, and not part of the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest (though, for what it's worth, I'm sure you can add both it and the original Jack Sly to the same tin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, when I replied about the spy version, I actually was thinking that the current version was about a spy (instead of a thief). I guess I just didn't pay enough attention (though thief theme is just as appealing to me as spy...I really like anyone who needs to be stealthy). It's funny to me that that misunderstanding lead to this, but I'm super excited to play this version of the game. I played the thief version, and I liked it. I forgot about flipping over the jails, though.

On that note...I need to clarify about the jails. When you grab the first gem, you flip the jail furthest to the left. If that jail is flipped back, then when you grab the second gem you flip the jail furthest to the right (otherwise, you just flip the one that isn't already jail-side-up). After you grab the third gem, you make sure both jails are jail-side-up and never flip them down again. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |