Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Custom Foam-Core Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb










We finished our foam-core insert Full details on our website (Kelsam Tabletop - Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition). Pax magnifica bellum gloriosum!

- Kelsam Tabletop



UPDATE: We have been getting a high volume of insert schematic requests on the website. We're working on it, but in the interim, here are some basic STL 3D models you can download.

In the box
https://skfb.ly/6tuzn

All parts out of the box
https://skfb.ly/6tuzC



UPDATE 2: Full insert schematics have been posted. You can find them on our website, or in the files section.
22 
 Thumb up
3.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holzman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You should add it to the Foamcore Geeklist:
Foam core insert modifications

Great job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
mholzma wrote:
You should add it to the Foamcore Geeklist:
Foam core insert modifications

Great job.

Done. Thanks for the tip! We didn't know about this list.

- Kelsam Tabletop
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! I plan to do a custom set for each Faction so I anticipate needing to use my bigger TI3 box. But the schematics are very helpful. This may be asking a lot but can anyone who has TI4 post exact measurements of the new tiles? Flat side and point to opposite point (diameter) in metrics (mm) would be great. A bonus would be all tiles height in a stack.

Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
I plan to do a custom set for each Faction so I anticipate needing to use my bigger TI3 box.

What do you mean by a set for each faction? Meaning, a whole set of minis and tech cards for each of the 17 races?

Jatta Pake wrote:
... can anyone who has TI4 post exact measurements of the new tiles? Flat side and point to opposite point (diameter) in metrics (mm) would be great. A bonus would be all tiles height in a stack.

Certainly.

Flat to flat: 101mm
Point to point: 116mm
Stack height (all system tiles, including home systems, empty space, and obstacles -- EXCLUDING the Creuss home system because of its abnormal shape): 90mm

Pics for easy reference, and so you know exactly what numbers you're getting:







- Kelsam Tabletop
14 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed. Yes, I am going to do a set of minis for each of the 17 Factions. Unnecessary? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Fun? Hell yes!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Skinner
United States
KANSAS CITY
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
Yes, I am going to do a set of minis for each of the 17 Factions. Unnecessary? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Fun? Hell yes!

^.^ We'd love to see some pics when it's done!

- Kelsam Tabletop
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
We have posted the insert schematics to the website and the files section of BGG's TI4 (though, that one will have to go through moderation first).

- Kelsam Tabletop
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Griffith
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
just wondering, what kind of tape do you folks use for your hinges?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
menckenchrist wrote:
just wondering, what kind of tape do you folks use for your hinges?

Electrical. Really any black or clear tape should probably get it done, but electrical tape is a bit thicker and more durable for long-term "hinge" use

- Kelsam
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so beautiful, thank you for uploading also the insert schematics. I will start to craft the insert when hopefully my copy arrives at the weekend
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Toxica wrote:
I will start to craft the insert when hopefully my copy arrives at the weekend

Let us know how it goes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bolvay Hunter
msg tools

Hi are those inserts adapted to cards in sleavs?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bolvay wrote:
Hi are those inserts adapted to cards in sleavs?

Yes, the insert is designed to hold sleeved cards. Specifically, Fantasy Flight Games sleeves.

- Kelsam
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Holmström
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi, really great stuff, gonna start building the inserts tomorrow, but I got one question. Will it fit the Delux Rulebook? Or just the thin one that comes with the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
KingVincent wrote:
Hi, really great stuff, gonna start building the inserts tomorrow, but I got one question. Will it fit the Delux Rulebook? Or just the thin one that comes with the game?

The Deluxe Rulebook fits, but it's a bit snug. If you want to store your deluxe rulebook in the box instead of the originals, I'd build the faction trays 1/8 inch skinnier than the plans call for. Though, that may make your sleeved cards fit a bit too snugly in them.

- Sam, Kelsam Tabletop
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Holmström
Sweden
flag msg tools
Kelsam wrote:
KingVincent wrote:
Hi, really great stuff, gonna start building the inserts tomorrow, but I got one question. Will it fit the Delux Rulebook? Or just the thin one that comes with the game?

The Deluxe Rulebook fits, but it's a bit snug. If you want to store your deluxe rulebook in the box instead of the originals, I'd build the faction trays 1/8 inch skinnier than the plans call for. Though, that may make your sleeved cards fit a bit too snugly in them.

- Sam, Kelsam Tabletop

Thanks for the Quick answer =)

I'll prioritize sleaved cards over deluxe rulebook, and just hope it fits.

Might have missed it somewhere but what thickness is the foam core you used when doing the design? The ones I found in my town is 3mm thick. If you used thicker i might be able to make the trays skinnier and still fit all the stuff =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
How do I buy one? devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RAJ
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many foam sheets You used to it? And why You use 5mm foam and not 3mm? With 3mm there will be more space for everything, You tried 3 mm foam?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
KingVincent wrote:
Might have missed it somewhere but what thickness is the foam core you used when doing the design?

We use 3/16" (5mm) foam board



Thrawny wrote:
How do I buy one? devil

You could try getting someone here to build and ship you one, but it is doubtful anyone would be willing to do it for a "reasonable price". Foam-core inserts take a lot of time to make.



rajgamer wrote:
How many foam sheets You used to it?

Two to four 20"x30" sheets probably, depending on how thoughtful you are with where you cut various parts from (how much scrap you produce during the process).



rajgamer wrote:
And why You use 5mm foam and not 3mm?

Because we're american and 3/16" (5mm) foam board is what is readily-available/affordable/convenient.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Boone
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need to save some room on height I have a solution - I used some black mat board found at hobby lobby that is very stiff and only 2mm thick. I needed the height reduction for my Macao insert to fit properly and this worked out very nicely. Give it a try!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thrawny wrote:
How do I buy one? devil

You can buy ours right here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123047603041
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W G
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
I‘m not really a sentient polar bear.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I‘ve built two after your plans over the last few months (one for me, one as a gift). Material alone is 10-15 USD, and it took me a couple of hours to do each.

So that‘s a good deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsam Tabletop
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
GrumblingGamer wrote:
I‘ve built two after your plans over the last few months (one for me, one as a gift). Material alone is 10-15 USD, and it took me a couple of hours to do each.

So that‘s a good deal.

A couple of hours each is impressive! Did you use any special building/cutting methods?

- Kelsam
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |