Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » Variants

Subject: I'm looking for variant ideas that make the race more interactive... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
davey yaved
msg tools
mb
Hi, I haven't played this game but am considering getting it for my game club at the high school where I teach. I am a bit cautious due to the description of the game as largely multiplayer solitaire. So, the question may not be relevant if I've misunderstood the way the game goes, but do you have any house rules that increase the player interaction on the race course? Seems like the game could involve drafting (in the bike racing sense of the word), contraptions that capture and utilize the exhaust of other vehicles, oil slicks or noxious fumes etc. I think my students would be more excited by a race where they jockey for position etc.
hope my lack of real understanding of the game doesn't render my question nonsensical...
thanks for any input,
Davey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Davey

This game is not largely multiplayer solitaire, it is totally mp solitare!

Picked it up in a trade last week thinking it was going to be a blast, great racer, and good for my two boys to learn stuff but it fell very flat and now straight on my for trade list.

Dont be fooled by the cool looking racetrack, it's nothing more than a point tracker.

There is little variation in the cards so never feels like you have something special that others dont and we found the game to be fiddly and clunky.

I would recommend Lords of Vegas all day long for a much more fun, explosive and interactive dice oriented game that Im sure your high school students will love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I am Kirk Roberts.
The drafting is card drafting (as in a game like 7 Wonders or Sushi Go), not bike/racecar drafting.

I love the game, but I agree that if you're looking for lots of player interaction this is probably not the game for your group. For what you describe you may want to look into some of the more typical racing games like Formula D, Flamme Rouge, or Snow Tails.

Edit:
Another suggestion, for something almost completely different, is PitchCar, which involves flicking your "car" discs around a racetrack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Formula D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I am Kirk Roberts.
Bazmondo123 wrote:
+1 for Formula D
After two plays I'm not enthusiastic about it, but with a group that knows the game and can speed up the play (downtime was an issue for me) and get into the more advanced rules I can see how it could be fun.

I haven't played Flamme Rouge or Snow Tails, but from what I've read they seem to be improvements on the formula. ha ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
davey yaved
msg tools
mb
Thank you all sincerely for your feedback. I'm looking into the suggested games. Any other folks who stumble upon my question, please do contribute your ideas and or alternate games for racing.
Thanks again,
Davey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus one for pitch car, that's assuming you are not trying to use a game as a teaching aid for your students and are just looking to have a blast playing a game.

Also, have a look at Camel Up, it's nuts, cheap and a load of fun and I think has a high player count.

Also great games for teens that are cheap, fun/explosive, easy to learn and always go down well with my boys and their mates are:

The resistance
Diamant
Luchador(2nd edition with the ring)
Sherif of Nottingham
Libertalia
Survive escape from Atlantis (which is kind of a race to get off the island)
Dixit

and a nod to Telestrations and Wink which are both really good social party games

Finally, two games that I haven't played but are on my radar, look great and may suit your group are Deception Murder in Hong Kong and Pit Crew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kats
United States
flag msg tools
I have come up with a few ideas to add some more (rubbing is racing). During the movement phase example: If a player is behind and lands on the same place as someone else he "knocks" a cog off that person's machine and takes it. And if he passes them to pull ahead he knocks off 2. (if they have no cogs to pay then they knock off a part, but that could be too overpowered). This would add more player interaction, and have the bonus of giving an incentive to playing quickly to either get out of the way or pull ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls