1 Posts

Pipeline» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time, 2 player play with a 6 year old boy. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christine Doiron
United States
flag msg tools
So, the directions say that when you have 2 players, you can choose to use two separate pipelines each, but it doesn't say if you have to build both of your pipelines to win, or just one. Anyway, we decided to keep it simple since it was our first time, so we just used one color each.

This game is very simple to learn and to explain to a 6 year old. You just roll the special die and do whatever it says. During our first game I did give him a little help. For example, he wanted to build up higher and higher and I explained that it wasn't a good idea because it took him further away from his eventual goal. He quickly grasped the basic strategy and got into it.

In the end, the 6 year old boy won because I had a couple of unlucky rolls.

I must say, I don't think this is a good 2 player game, for a couple of reasons:

1st, there's no point in putting a blocking cap on your opponent in a two player game, because he will immediately remove it, and it doesn't do anything except waste time. In a 3-player game, playing a block has more meaning because at the very least, the player who is not either blocking or being blocked has the advantage of moving forward while the other two players are occupied.

2nd, there's just not enough going on here with 2 players. You need the 3rd player to keep things interesting and to use much strategy and keep it from being so luck-based.

My 6-year-old enjoyed this because it's very colorful and has lots of cool parts. He also liked just building with the pieces.

I'm looking forward to trying this with 3 players.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.