8 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jos Black
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These might have already been asked and answered, but I can't seem to find the answers.

2 handed weapons:
I know you can equip two, but only use one 2 handed weapon for an attack.
But can you use the enchantments of both weapons, provided the conditions are met, during the attack?
And if you have two equipped, can you use one weapon for offense and the other for defense?

Sword and spell:
Do you need to attack with a melee weapon in order to use the +2 swords and re-roll? Or does this just give you the option to do so?
Or do you need to have a sword equipped but it counts on a magic attack with a wand for instance as well?

Stunned and counter attack:
Does a stunned enemy that has no target (because the attacker is out of LoS and in a shadow zone) activate? It has no target to advance upon, so does it do nothing or does it get up?
Additionally, if the monster is not stunned, does it just move towards the start point?

Monster equipment:
A monster that gets an equipment card of a different attack type than it's own get to use the defense dice if the equipment card provides that? And what about the enchantment on the item? In other words, can a melee monster use the defense die and/or the enchantment of a staff or can't it use the card at all?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackerHawk wrote:
These might have already been asked and answered, but I can't seem to find the answers.

2 handed weapons:
I know you can equip two, but only use one 2 handed weapon for an attack.
But can you use the enchantments of both weapons, provided the conditions are met, during the attack?
And if you have two equipped, can you use one weapon for offense and the other for defense?

You cannot equip two 2-Handed Weapons, unless you have a Skill which says otherwise. It specifically says on p19 of the rules that you can only equip one 2-Handed Weapon.

BlackerHawk wrote:
Sword and spell:
Do you need to attack with a melee weapon in order to use the +2 swords and re-roll? Or does this just give you the option to do so?
Or do you need to have a sword equipped but it counts on a magic attack with a wand for instance as well?

Yes, you do.The Sword and Spell Skill comes with an inherent [Melee Weapon Equipped] condition and effects which follow Conditions are all dependent on that Condition.

BlackerHawk wrote:
Stunned and counter attack:
Does a stunned enemy that has no target (because the attacker is out of LoS and in a shadow zone) activate? It has no target to advance upon, so does it do nothing or does it get up?
Additionally, if the monster is not stunned, does it just move towards the start point?

There is no Counter-Attack Activation at all if the Hero got out of sight and out of light. There is thus no change to the Enemy.

BlackerHawk wrote:
Monster equipment:
A monster that gets an equipment card of a different attack type than it's own get to use the defense dice if the equipment card provides that? And what about the enchantment on the item? In other words, can a melee monster use the defense die and/or the enchantment of a staff or can't it use the card at all?

Yes, they get the Defense dice and Defense Enchantments of the Equipment card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
BlackerHawk wrote:
Sword and spell:

Yes, you do.The Sword and Spell Skill comes with an inherent [Melee Weapon Equipped] condition and effects which follow Conditions are all dependent on that Condition.

Actually if you have both a Sword and a Wand equipped, you can either:
* do a Magic Attack with your Sword at Range 0, benefiting from Sword And Spell effects.
* do a Melee Attack with your Sword at Range 0, ignoring the Sword And Spell effects. (edit: added)
* or do a Magic Attack with your Wand at Range 1-2, ignoring the Sword And Spell effects.
(edit: to be clear, if you only have a Sword equipped, you only have the first 2 options.)

Having a Melee Weapon Equipped is not a sufficient Condition to benefit from Sword And Spell effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, it was an incorrect over-simplification.

My point is that Skills that can only be used in certain circumstances are intended to use those circumstances as Conditions for other effects within that Skill. Unfortunately, while this is heavily implied, it does not seem to be explicitly stated in the rules as such.

Other Skills such as Charge and Safe Shot have the following text in their descriptions and it almost certainly applies to Sword and Spell too:
"If there are Combat effects in parentheses after the XXX ability, they
are only active for the Action granted by XXX."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jos Black
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, you guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DummySphere wrote:
Having a Melee Weapon Equipped is not a sufficient Condition to benefit from Sword And Spell effects.

I believe it is. I can't find anywhere in the book or class sheet that states you must have a magic weapon equipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Duminil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cooperton wrote:
DummySphere wrote:

I believe it is. I can't find anywhere in the book or class sheet that states you must have a magic weapon equipped.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. Actually what I mean is that to benefit from the Sword And Spell effects (those in parenthesis) you have to have Melee Weapon(s) equipped and to attack with this (those) Melee weapon(s).

So you don't need to have a Magic Weapon equipped to use Sword And Spell. I'll edit my first post to clarify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just ignore the concept of conditions (given I was the one that tried to introduce it) and agree that the parentheses behind Sword and Spell mean the same thing as the parentheses behind Charge and Safe Shot.

They simply forgot to add the extra bit about parentheses to Sword and Spell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.