BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gift for a Friend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, my friend just moved to a city where she knows nobody. This is important for context.

Her birthday is on Sunday, and I want to ship her a game as a gift, as she has been super into them lately! She and her brother play games from afar online through simulators, and she bought herself Istanbul recently as a gift for self. She has a long history with Catan, and has played games like Carcassonne, Small World, Forbidden Island (found too simple), and many more, and has played a shocking amount of games online. She prefers in person, but isn't sure about having friends to play them with yet. She thinks she may have some people, but nothing is secured yet.

Anyway, I know she'd love to get a game for her birthday. Definitely. (and she sent me games for mine!) I'm just struggling to choose one because I want it to at least have a chance to get to the table, and I don't play much solo. Does anybody have any ideas?

**more information on her taste: she doesn't tend to play super heavy games, but medium is definitely good, as she doesn't like when they're too light. She likes cooperative, and doesn't seem to need theme. I think she'd prefer medium strategy to light/luck based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which city? It looks what she really would appreciate as a gift are gaming partners. Maybe we can come up with a list of game groups in her area to check out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Flash Point: Fire Rescue. Great co-op but also really enjoyable solo. I only play co-op games solo, and not very often, but when I do I usually lean towards Flash Point.

I would say Robinson Crusoe but it might be too heavy and the rules are a challenge.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad is another great co-op and has some unique gameplay.

I also enjoy these:

Big book of madness
forbidden dessert
ghost stories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Which city? It looks what she really would appreciate as a gift are gaming partners. Maybe we can come up with a list of game groups in her area to check out.

Austin, Texas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the 1PG list of top 100 solo games. Hope it helps!
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/217988/2016-peoples-choic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.