Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hayse
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I coordinate Faculty Development at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, KS, along with co-directing a library-based Center for Games & Learning (www.mnu.edu/games). We have almost 400 games in our center, but I need to purchase another $1,000.00 this month. We use our games to teach educators how to (1) utilize commercial tabletop games in the PK through post-secondary classroom, and (2) adapt game mechanism for pedagogical use. Our games also circulate among students, faculty, public/private school teachers, home schoolers, and the general public.

We have not purchased new games for about a year. If you have a moment, scan our collection at the URL above. What is our collection missing, and why? We welcome your recommendations!

Thanks,
Mark Hayse, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Faculty Development
MidAmerica Nazarene University
Olathe, KS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben A
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't look through your entire library, but I noticed that you don't have Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think that Century: Golem Edition would be a great game for young kids and adults too! It has such a cute theme and artwork.It is a easy game to learn.
Spending gems to get cards, upgrading gems to get a higher value gem, collecting Golems with those gems.
It is the same as Century: Spice Road, I think the theme for the Golem Edition is cuter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mark. Sorry that I missed MNU's conference this summer, but maybe I'll make it back next year. It's nice to hear about your ongoing activity and the opportunity to keep building your collection.

I did not see 1775: Rebellion on your list, which is featured in Chris & Patricia Harris's book Teaching the American Revolution Through Play. I think it does a good job of portraying the different character of the various factions involved in the war, without heavy game mechanisms.

As a take on the Cold War with must shorter play time than Twilight Struggle, I've heard good things about 13 Days: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Haven't played it myself, though, so this suggestion is second-hand.

For have chess fans who want to explore new games, you might look at Onitama. It also offers a concise example of interesting mechanisms for classes that examine game structure.

And on that thought of game mechanisms, you might consider adding one of Mac Gerdts' rondel games, such as Antike II or Navegador. Besides demonstrating a slick action selection mechanism, both games include a bonus booklet of short bios of the historical figures represented within. That's a nice educational touch.

Enough from me. Keep up the good work!
Blessings,
Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Mercury
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Please check out my student game design Geeklists! You rock!
mbmbmbmbmb

Le Havre
Detroit Cleveland Grand Prix (or the new version, Downforce when it comes out)
Rattus
Survive! Escape from Atlantis
Get Bit
Deep Sea Adventure
A Fake Artist Goes to New York
Forbidden Desert
Hey That's My Fish
Jamaica
The Resistance: Avalon
Stone Age
River Dragons
Can't Stop
Tsuro
Ricochet Robots
Alhambra
Spin Monkeys
Age of War
Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sterrett
United States
Kansas City [Platte City]
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles

Friedrich

1944: Race to the Rhine

Go

Aftershock

Twilight Struggle

Quartermaster General

For older students, Triumph & Tragedy provides a strategic look at WW2 in Europe (more complex than most in your collection but can be taught rapidly to non-gamer adults, at least, and run far enough to drive discussion in several hours.)

Edited to add: Attack Vector: Tactical for vector movement & Newton's laws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robertson
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd echo the suggestion of Codenames Codenames and possibly Codenames Duet

Possibly some other maps for Power Grid to show the difference that different starting conditions and geography have? [though you already have ttr maps].

Robinson Crusoe Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
Captain Sonar Captain Sonar
Liar's Dice/ Perudo Liar's Dice

If it's still available cheaply you might look at Paris Connection Paris Connection as a fun quick stock / route game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet great co-op with science theme. Help with problem solving and team work.

Duplik drawing party game that helps with following directions and observation skills.

Secret Hitler might be controversial but real does show the political climate of the time and is a great social deduction game.

878: Vikings – Invasions of England and the other games in this series all have historical basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great set of games!

I would second deep Sea Adventure . Its a great game in and of itself, but also mirrors some of the issues of competition when utilising a shared resource - connects with "The tragedy of the commons" and issues around climate change, pollution etc.

CO2 is a nice mixture of economics, science and topical debate.

Hey that's my fish is an excellent problem solving/abstract game with cute pieces - good to draw Ss into deep thinking before they realise.

Happy Salmon is about the best icebreaker and de-stress activity I have found for teachers and Ss alike!

Ricochet Robots or Mutant Meeples would be great for spatial reasoning and in a classroom setting is great because you can join in at anytime and has no real number limit.

Lastly - any games by Genius Games are very nice at showing games which help teach very specific bits of science (some are better games than others)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hayse
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Good suggestions!

We are in the processing of updating our files... actually, we have 17 copies of Codenames! We workshop it as a model of Bloom's taxonomy in action, and then invite participants to create a student exercise in which they create their own discipline-specific term cards for course review. Works great! We do the same thing with Time's Up, BTW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben A
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patchwork
Photosynthesis
Sherlock Holmes consulting detective

Or something with a religious theme:
Kingdom of Solomon
Here I Stand
Kings of Israel
Nehemiah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Metagame!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 1775: Rebellion
+1 Navegador
+1 Hey, That's My Fish!
+1 Stone Age - the math is simple enough for younger players, but the value of actions can be broken down so that everything is measurable relative to dice pips, while still being an interesting game even if you have done this deeper dive.
+1 Tsuro - simple tile laying, spatial relations game that plays quickly and fairly well from 3-8 players (supports 2 player, reactions are more mixed to this player count)

Also
Spirit Island (Although, I don't think the reprint will be available until December, the first printing sold out quickly) - the Anti-Catan; play cooperatively as spirits that are trying to guide the natives of the island to terrify and drive away invading colonists, whose aggressive ways are blighting the island. A fairly heavy game that is relatively simple to play.
La Boca - partnership timed 3D pattern matching/building where you and your partner (for the round) each only get to see a 2D representation (from opposite side) of what you are attempting to cooperatively build
Sagrada - dice drafting pattern matching game about building sheets of stained glass. Quick game, where the dice used make the game very aesthetically pleasing, but there is still a very solid game to play.

Maybe Brass: Lancashire and/or Brass: Birmingham and/or Age of Industry (benefits quite a bit from expansions)
Brass might be the best option here, based on the amount research that went into the game. It is a very heavy game, but well lauded for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gipson
United States
flag msg tools
ApolloRa Games
badge
Triangulated Review
mbmbmbmbmb
Tesla v. Edison with the expansion expansion because it is needed and fixes errors in the game
Freedom the Underground Railroad any mostly anything from Academy Games because like Genius Games, this Academy makes all sorts of historical educational games
Kanban - Lacerda who designed this game typically does a lot of research and starts, theme first, to design a game about a real life place, thing, or event. In this case, Japanese Car Manufactuering and their Kanban engineering management system.
Lisboa - about the rebuilding events after the Lisbon Earthquake, flood, and fire event. Also designed by Lacerda
Cytosis and then again, pretty much any game from Genius Games since they make games focused on scientific / educacation topics
Arwright because as a company, Spielworxx functions completely differently than anything traditional and is just interesting. And their game designs reflect that uniqueness.
Captain Sonar - all sorts of lessons about effective and efficient communication can be had with this game. I could see it being a very good team builder with good reflection notes afterwards.
Planetarium a lot of interesting flavor text around, and one of the few space games that isn't sci-fi, but rather rooted in the science of Astronomy.
Tammany Hall as a History teacher, the Progressive Era is just one of my favorite time periods and subjects
Archipelago with the War & Peace Expansion because it is needed and fixes errors in the game. A good economic game, like Tesla v. Edison is too, and economic games tend to have mechanics that have to be fixed, I have noticed.
Castles of Mad King Ludwig and by the same designer Suburbia - Castles has a very unique design and about a famous Bavarian King, and Suburbia has some interesting insights and could probably be attractive to anyone interested in Urban Development and Planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.