Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of dismemberment in my entertainment.

I find it difficult to suspend my disbelief so far as to accept that we can chop parts off of people mid-mission to stop them from slowly dying while they continue to function and otherwise take actions as normal.

I have an easier time allowing for a character quickly bandaging another or applying a tourniquet to stop the bleeding.

In my solo games, I've been calling Bitten, Wounded.

Then I moved Amputate off of weapons and onto bandages and the first-aid kit.

I haven't adjusted point values yet, as a white die with dual wield for 12 points seems right. Especially considering 10 points for a red die with one reroll on a baseball bat.

I don't see a need to increase point cost on bandages either so long as I make their uses either/or. Heal or First-aid, then discard.

I've just settled on how I want to try this, so I haven't played any practice games.

Has anyone else tried something like this? See any serious balance concerns I may have overlooked?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't had a problem with it. It's no more unbelievable to me than a character functioning at peak efficiency with 1 Health Point instead of their starting 5. Should someone at the brink of death still be able to run at full speed, ninja flip over cars, and stab zombies in the face?

The game is an abstract, not a detailed RPG. Yeah, if you stop to think about it, it is a little odd, but also not necessarily without precedent in the fiction. You do whatcha gotta do, right? If anything, the fact that the act alone causes damage, and might even kill you. If you survive the procedure, you'll be closer to death, and suffer an actual effect of being wounded, is really better than the regular wound cycle.

Why would bandages give you back a Health Point? They don't make you better, they just stop you from getting worse.

Just put this in the box with "universal caliber ammo".

That said, my mantra is that it's YOUR game. You play it how you want. Stick to the rules, house rule variants, or go all out and write your own. Your dice. Your minis. Your game. You play it the way that makes it fun for you. The obvious caveat applies that when you play with others outside your normal group, that they may be playing with a different set of rules, and for a drama-less gaming experience you should probably default to the stock rules ( if you still remember them at that point ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.