BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: A question of proper phrasing... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I have a game I am presently developing with a thief named Jack Sly moving from one card to the next. (Though I love game development, rules writing is not my strong-suit.) The cards are placed to form a line. I need to get the idea across that if your thief moves off of the board in one direction, he will move back onto it from the other direction. Is there a simple way to phrase this?
Here is what I have...
Quote:
If Jack moves in a direction such that there are no more cards for him to move to, he moves to the furthest card in the opposite direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably easier to understand something like "When moving, the two cards at the ends of the line are considered adjacent to each other."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry k
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could the cards be placed in a circle instead of a line?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Henry, thanks for the question. This is a solitaire game, and there are symbols on the cards, which be difficult to see if they were turned in a circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Kruggs
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
You don't need to turn cards to arrange them in a circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is easy with a diagram.

Show a row of cards numbered 1 through 8 (or whatever), then have a dotted outline labelled 8 next to card 1, and a dotted outline labeled 1 next to card 8. Caption it like Andrés suggested ("When moving, the cards at the two ends of the line are considered adjacent.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Jack reaches either end of the [tableau?] of cards, shift Jack to the opposite end. He continues moving in the same direction.

Gives this event some kind of indicative/descriptive name like "going 'round the world".

Definitely insert a couple diagrams of Jack's movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
Probably easier to understand something like "When moving, the two cards at the ends of the line are considered adjacent to each other."

If the movement rules are something like "the player chooses an adjacent card to move to," then that's probably fine.

But in many cases, it could be problematic because it doesn't tell you what direction you move to get from one to the other (and the as-the-bird-flies direction is not the intended one). So if you have some algorithm telling you which direction to move Jack, or if he moves multiple spaces "in a line" or something like that, then strictly speaking you haven't provided enough information for the player to know what to do.

I would tend to use the phrase "wrap around". Like "a piece that moves off one end of the line will 'wrap around' to the other end." That language is not as formal as I would usually like, but I think most people know what it means. (Also include an example, of course.)

Unlike the "move as far as possible in the opposite direction" version in the OP, I think "wrap around" will probably spur suitable intuition for answering follow-up questions like "if I have an ability card that triggers under X condition, do I count that as moving left or moving right? and what distance did he just move?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Blackburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A picture is worth a thousand words. Try to get the text as clear as possible, but I'd still illustrate it with a picture to make it 100% clear to the player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Jack is on the last card at either end of the row, players may [take an action/use a legal move] to move him off that card and place Jack on the card at the opposite end as if the two cards were adjacent to one another. In effect this creates an infinite loop of available spaces onto which Jack can be moved.

Add a couple of pictures showing a player moving Jack as allowed and you're set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be fiddly, or not work if there are other things on the cards, but when Jack moves off one end you could grab a card from the other end and move it over next to Jack, so that he doesn't do a weird jump to the other side but rather the cards wrap so that he can keep going.

Just an idea as you think through things.
As far as wording, the other suggestions (like from Steve) seem good to me. I'd have to see a bigger chunk of the rules and terminology to know if there's a better way to describe that move. Just use very natural language, combined with your game terminology, to make it understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"If you live on a very small planet, arrange the cards in a line going around the equator. However if you don't, it's not the end of the world. We can simulate the same effect by pretending that the leftmost card is to the right of the rightmost card. In other words, when Jack Sly is at the end of the line of cards and he wants to go to the right, move him to the beginning of the line."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
"If you live on a very small planet, arrange the cards in a line going around the equator. However if you don't, it's not the end of the world. We can simulate the same effect by pretending that the leftmost card is to the right of the rightmost card. In other words, when Jack Sly is at the end of the line of cards and he wants to go to the right, move him to the beginning of the line."

Wow, that's exactly how my writing usually is before they tell me I got it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:

This is the best answer. Simple and clear. Well done Santiago!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
"If you live on a very small planet, arrange the cards in a line going around the equator. However if you don't, it's not the end of the world...

I see what you did there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.