Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it has an excellent VASSAL module, how well does the system play PBEM style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Deats
United States
La$ Vega$
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about PBEM, but I would wait until Red Tide South comes out to get the updated rules. This game is very hard on inexperienced Soviet players because the key to using the Warsaw Pact air force is to sacrifice air units suppressing NATO airbases while other Warsaw Pact air units support the drive into W. Germany. Soviet players that don't figure this out right away will get ripped to shreds. Red Tide South supposedly introduces a modified air combat system (and more air units) so that the Soviet player isn't force into this one-dimensional strategy.

That notwithstanding, this is a great design...much more approachable than games like NATO.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and bought it...

As for strategy, in a completely unrelated game Middle-Earth Quest, I believe people took issue with it for similar reasons, they wanted to buff their characters, complete quests, fight minions, and complete their secret mission.

But, if you weren't winning when the game ends, I meant absolutely nothing...so you had to focus on winning and much less about everything else, now if you could grab some of those nice things, sure, but otherwise, forget it...

It does make sense though, battleships, especially in WW1, and even into WW2 were only reluctantly actually risked in combat. I can see player's not wanting to trash their air force even if the game's victory conditions have absolutely nothing to do with your air losses. When I read that the BIG IJN Battleships sat at Truk the whole Guadalcanal campaign, I about fell over. Fuel yes but where there is a will there is a way, and well there was no will.

From what I read, the strategy seems logical, you have to keep the NATO air power off your guys just long enough from them to make their breakthroughs and start overrunning airbases and logistical centers. How many are left at the end, is not relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.