Subject: The Long Hiatus rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LotR: LCG was one of the first board games I ever bought way back when I first discovered BGG. Unfortunately after downsizing all my boards games had to be packed up and stowed soblue. Now I finally stumbled across LotR again online and have fallen in love once more. Naturally the obsessive, insane (and wallet destroying) part of me wants to get caught up on everything I missed in the intervening years. Thus I turn to your collective wisdom.

What I have in my old collection:
- Core
- Mirkwood cycle
- Khazad-dum + Dwarrowdelf cycle
- The Hobbit: Over Hill Under Hill

For reference, I play almost exclusively solo.

I've been going through the Tales From the Cards' buying guide but it all sounds so good. Of course the completionist in me would love to collect all the adventures eventually but for now, I'm having trouble with the huge investment required just to get within a cycle or three of current production. Still, I have most of my gaming budget for the year sitting unspent and looking very tempting.

What would be the best way to get caught up without (completely) blowing the bank? I have my eye on Angmar Awakened + Dream Chaser cycles (Dunedain and Noldor are my faves, though the idea of finally having Ents in the game sounds amazing too), but that's not cheap and is it skipping ahead too much? Also, I notice some packs from the older cycles are hard to get a hold of now so would it be better to start there? Would deluxe expansions only + very selective APs ruin the story and/or cramp your deck options?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have some luck trying to buy complete cycles second hand. I got a couple of complete cycles through my local Facebook boardgame buy/swap/sell group. Saved me a lot of money and most of the time the cards are in as new condition. Just place a wanted ad and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what's best with regards to cycles, it depends on your taste really , but the Saga Expansions are quite delightful. They do limit your deck building choices somewhat, but they usually offer very solid cards for the archetypes they push (Hobbits in The Black Riders, Gandalf hero in the Road Darkens, Rohan later on with some ents sprinkled in, etc.) You might consider going for those, and if so be aware that the Lord of the Rings ones are in my opinion a smoother and more refined design than the Hobbit ones.
Regardless, nice to hear that you are back, there's really an embarrassment of riches to choose from!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the cycles you are considering are really great, can't argue with Angmar Awakened.

But if I were in your shoes the *first* thing I'd grab would be the saga expansions for fellowship and the two towers. The quests are mind-blowingly thematic, there are some ridiculous player cards added to the pool, and you know you aren't going to skip them, right?

Have fun getting back into the game, it is definitely one of the greatest games on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am only one AP away from owning the entire player card pool (with two cores) to date. It's taken me more than a year and some selective purchasing due to availability of product, budget, and personal interest with regard to cycles and player cards.

My recommendation is to do some research and list all the player cards you do not yet have from most-wanted to least-wanted. (for cards see hallofbeorn and ringsdb)

Then, buy the packs/boxes that get you as many of the most-wanted player cards as possible. You should end up with plenty of scenarios to play against as a bonus.

I think Grey Havens is solid, and picking that up along with Flight of the Storm Caller would give some entertaining play value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manolis Talos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am new to the game myself and the investment is something I'm also considering. (also mostly a solo player)
So at the moment I only have one core set, the Mirkwood cycle, Khazad-Dum, Murder at the Prancing Pony, and I just ordered the first two adventure packs of the Dwarrowdelf cycle.
I want to complete the Dwarrowdelf cycle in parts. Two adventure packs at a time, and then I want to move into the SAGA expansions.
I think that I might just go through all the SAGA expansions.

I bought the Mirkwood cycle to complement the core set, and Khazad-Dum and its cycle to give me some card pool and a nice Dwarf deck before jumping into the SAGAs.

Being a solo player (with my wife occasionally joining in) with no group to play and share adventures with, I think that my main focus will be the SAGAs. Once I complete those and I still want more of the game I will get any other expansions and cycles based on availability etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mschipper wrote:
You may have some luck trying to buy complete cycles second hand. I got a couple of complete cycles through my local Facebook boardgame buy/swap/sell group. Saved me a lot of money and most of the time the cards are in as new condition. Just place a wanted ad and see what happens.

This is exactly the kind of thing I looked for but as of yet all I have been able to find is either what I already have or a complete collection out of my current price range. Didn't think of checking Facebook, though. I'll have to look. Thanks!

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skybreak wrote:
I am only one AP away from owning the entire player card pool (with two cores) to date. It's taken me more than a year and some selective purchasing due to availability of product, budget, and personal interest with regard to cycles and player cards.

My recommendation is to do some research and list all the player cards you do not yet have from most-wanted to least-wanted. (for cards see hallofbeorn and ringsdb)

Then, buy the packs/boxes that get you as many of the most-wanted player cards as possible. You should end up with plenty of scenarios to play against as a bonus.

I think Grey Havens is solid, and picking that up along with Flight of the Storm Caller would give some entertaining play value.

That's a great suggestion, I'll have to give it a try! So far I was trying to find a balance between scenario and player cards but since I like the sound of most of the adventures it might be better to focus on cards and assume most of the adventures will be fun too. Thanks!

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for saga expansions, I need to do some more research. Black Riders looks very tempting but if I'm going to go that route I'd love to pick up a couple for the campaign experience and Treason of Saruman seems to be difficult to find for a reasonable price.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming! I'm glad to see the community around the game is still so active after all these years.

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
To save some money on new items, this search helps:
https://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=lord+of+the...

That's where I've padded most of my collection. They get items up to a certain pack back in stock all the time, but strangely don't seem to be able to get newer ones. The whole Asmodee mess must have something to do with it (and they often use Diamond as supplier, I think).

As for what to get, I really consider the core complete when you have 1 core + the whole Mirkwood cycle. If you want everything dwarven you also get both Hobbit expansions and Khazad-dûm + Dwarrowdelf. If you want to shave fractional percentages off the cost, you can get the last Mirkwood pack along with that. But why? You get the Song series of cards in Mirkwood, which help immensely at least until you find other options in later cycles.

With the first two cycles I think you should either continue with sagas or standalone adventures. Lower buy-in for the complete story, and quite a bit of variation from the first two cycles.

Other than that you should check the difficulty rating given at Hall of Beorn and other sites. The more player cards from up to that pack you have, the more likely you are able to get through every quest through some effort. Adding later cycles increases your chance of survival greatly. At least one of the cycles along the way is notoriously hard at any card pool size.

Now if you absolutely must have elves, just follow your heart. But try your damnedest to get a whole cycle at once

Note that Angmar Awakened has a strong ranger theme too. You get Athelas among the player cards in The Lost Realm, and there's plenty of neat stuff in the cycle (traps too). The adventures themselves may be tricky, but the player cards are great to fill out those ranger-sized holes in your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Book depository pricing is all over place. I got the ettenmoor pack from them today via amazon for 9 pound. For this reason I also keep an amazon wish list of expansions I don't have, to spot these (seemingly) random discounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, their prices are truly randomly generated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always forget book depository has more than just books . Thank you, that's a new place to scour for deals!

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
If you keep a location flag on your avatar you might get further recommendations from small country-specific suppliers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
If you keep a location flag on your avatar you might get further recommendations from small country-specific suppliers too.

I never did because I was hopping around a lot but I should really. I'm in the UK at the moment, if that makes a difference.

God bless,
Kezle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.