Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments with respect to print matching between the core game and the new expansions. I purchased the core game last year around Gen Con. Looking at the expansions, there is a clear difference. The new run is shiny and saturated. The old is dull and less saturated.

Here is the Unexplored tiles. The expansion is on the left and core on the right.

Here are the Exploration cards. Again, expansion on left and core on the right.

Delayed almost a year and the runs don't match?? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mine have a slight color difference, but that is most likely from a change in print companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I noticed that too, but the way we setup the game, nobody is staring at the piles, and I don't really see how it matters that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Monk
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slight difference in mine, but nothing that noticeable. I sleeve my cards, so you cant even tell the difference on those. The platen tiles are only really noticeable if you lay them out side by side. If they are on the stack, you really can't tell just by looking at one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are definitely glossier. It's a shame but not unexpected given that they changed manufacturers somewhere in the past year's calamities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't looked at mine yet, but have looked over the difference in the card backs and thickness for the Tyrants of the Underdark expansion (by same publisher and also 6+ months late).

From what others said, they may have used a different printer company and thus the differences. Slightly annoying but after playing TutU a few times with the new expansion, with sleeved cards, it wasn't an issue for our casual game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Knox
msg tools
mb
Mine are noticeably different but it doesn't effect game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark LaCroix
msg tools
Mine are different, too.

I suppose it won't matter much in play (even if a player is paying attention to it, it doesn't give them *a lot* of information to go on), but it's a little disappointing.

I wonder if it's less about different printing runs and more perhaps that the process used for these cards is particularity subject to initial color fading (or settling)?

This seems unlikely after only a year, but has anyone compared the expansion materials to those from a recently opened copy of the base game? (I assume all copies currently at retail are from the initial run, so maybe this wouldn't make a difference. This is a bit of a chemistry/materials science question.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.