Subject: World War I recommendation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants/Clash of Giants II

Breakthrough: Cambrai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to recommend Guns of August, but it wouldn't fit in your time frame.
It doesn't get a lot of love, but it's a good game, with fairly straight forward rules. You may want to look at Infantry Attacks from Avalanche Press. I haven't played it, but it's similar to their Pander Grenadier series which I do like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up Guns of Galicia on clearance from Miniature Market for $15. Same designer as In the Trenches. Haven't played it yet, but it looks pretty solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Hoepper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Don´t get Glory´s End/When Eagles Fight wrong. They are two separate games sharing basically the same rules in one package. I only own the second, sold in it´s first incarnation in Command magazine. But after reading the first book of Pritt Butters take on the EF in WWI and having it played several times I can strongly recommend it. They can´t be combined into one great game AFAIK, and game length for the whole EF campaign was about 5 to 6 hours (depending on some events - Verdun ). Scale and complexity would match your preferences (corps level), but needed game time is surely higher. Combined with a rather low price for 2 games in one (around 30 - 40 dollars IIRC) it´s a bargain. IMO you can´t go wrong with those two. Ted Raicer did a great job in making the WWI EF playable with incorporating all needed facets to get a feeling for the period and theatre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kmak
United States
Parrish
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suggest World War 1 by SPI. It's is very easy to learn and even though it has been out of print for years it is readily available and cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Weltkrieg Series gives you as much or as little as you want with only moderate complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could only get past those eye straining funky Weltkrieg maps. Everything else about the game is so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Taylor
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
“... an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.” — Sir Winston Churchill (1946)
badge
So serious...
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Ted Raicer's ultimate WW1 masterpiece, The Great War in Europe (Deluxe Edition)? It has all fronts, minimal counter density, and you can play each front on their own maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Your biggest issue is the play time of two hours. I'm struggling to think of anything that hits that target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Your biggest issue is the play time of two hours. I'm struggling to think of anything that hits that target.

That was my thought too after thinking through the games I know. I've played a lot of WW1 operational/strategic games, but I can't think of any that come in around two hours.

The The Great War in the East series almost fits the bill. Operational level, about 8 pages of rules, simple but the games take about 4 hours to play each. Long OoP, but you can pick up a copy for around $80--which isn't bad for four complete games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
SeriousCat wrote:
What about Ted Raicer's ultimate WW1 masterpiece, The Great War in Europe (Deluxe Edition)? It has all fronts, minimal counter density, and you can play each front on their own maps.

Except that it's more like 20 hours instead of 2. (And that may be optimistic.) It also has really no connection to actual WWI, being a game on an alt-hist WWI where attacking actually was the most efficient way of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Panzer2C wrote:
I suggest World War 1 by SPI. It's is very easy to learn and even though it has been out of print for years it is readily available and cheap.

And it might actually hit the playing time limit, though perhaps 3 hours is closer to the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:
Der Weltkrieg Series gives you as much or as little as you want with only moderate complexity.

It is a cool system, but unfortunately it doesn't really give him the desired 2 hour playing time. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Buse
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What Price Glory? is quite good for an evening's play, although it's probably more strategic scale than you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
M St wrote:
SeriousCat wrote:

Except that it's more like 20 hours instead of 2. (And that may be optimistic.) It also has really no connection to actual WWI, being a game on an alt-hist WWI where attacking actually was the most efficient way of combat.

And minimal counter density?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Paths of Glory - it is the only one worth considering, except it's strategic and takes longer (by some margin) than 20 hours.

But very low counter density - very good solo (despite the cards)and a small footprint, and easy to play online via Vassal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
RaffertyA wrote:

It is a cool system, but unfortunately it doesn't really give him the desired 2 hour playing time. :/

I think the inexpensive Tannenberg: The Introductory Game can easily be finished in 2 hours after the 1st playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred W. Manzo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the 2-hour limit isn't hard and fast look into "The Lamps are Going Out"
from Compass for a strategic view of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General: 1914

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at Red Poppies Campaigns: The Battles for Ypres. I don't recall off-hand, but I believe you could play a single scenario in a few hours. But the game shines when you link them in a campaign. Same designer as In the Trenches: Devil Dogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.