9 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » Rules

Subject: Vote to exile rule ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl L
Canada
flag msg tools
No, the first player only has the power to break ties. In a 3 player game, there will never be a tie. The rules don't say that the person being exiled doesn't get to vote nor do they say that you can abstain from voting (page 11).

If there are only 2 non-exiled players left in the game, the voting process doesn't change. The rules say all players must vote on whether or not to exile, it does not specify only non-exiled players are allowed to vote (although admittedly, that would make more sense). Also, take note of the rule that if there are ever two exiled players who were not betrayers, morale immediately drops to zero (page 14).

In a 2 player game, there is no voting to exile as you are playing a co-op game (as per the rules on page 15).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowmelder wrote:
The rules say all players must vote on whether or not to exile, it does not specify only non-exiled players are allowed to vote.

Whilst I agree that the rules do not say a to-be-exiled player can't vote on their own behalf, they also say that exiled players can't vote at all. See page 14, in the bullet points in the "EXILE" section: "The exiled player cannot vote."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl L
Canada
flag msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Whilst I agree that the rules do not say a to-be-exiled player can't vote on their own behalf, they also say that exiled players can't vote at all. See page 14, in the bullet points in the "EXILE" section: "The exiled player cannot vote."

That's true; I didn't check the entire section on that page. I figured that would be mentioned under the Vote to Exile rules on page 11. So that begs the question, if a non-traitor was exiled in a 3 player game, can the first player then exile the other player on his own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowmelder wrote:
So that begs the question, if a non-traitor was exiled in a 3 player game, can the first player then exile the other player on his own?

Yes, that's how I've played it so far. Which makes exiling VERY dangerous in a 3 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
shadowmelder wrote:
So that begs the question, if a non-traitor was exiled in a 3 player game, can the first player then exile the other player on his own?

Yes, that's how I've played it so far. Which makes exiling VERY dangerous in a 3 player game.

If the first player exiles the other player as well, and that player was also a non-traitor, isn't that automatically game over?

I don't have the rules in front of me, but don't you insta-lose the game if two non-traitors are exiled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattpburgess wrote:
kilrah wrote:
shadowmelder wrote:

If the first player exiles the other player as well, and that player was also a non-traitor, isn't that automatically game over?

I don't have the rules in front of me, but don't you insta-lose the game if two non-traitors are exiled?

Morale drops to 0, so if you are not the Betrayer, then yes, you lose. Otherwise, it may be a winning tactic to exile the 2nd of 3 players. Also, some Exiled objectives don't require the main objective to be completed, so those players could also benefit indirectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kokid90 wrote:
Alright so the only ambiguity now is whether the player voted to be exiled is allowed to vote for himself.

The rules don't specifically mention it ... but it makes no sense that you could. You should have no say.

A player being voted on can vote yes or no, but according to TLN rules, a player may not call a vote to exile on themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.