Subject: Very basic rules clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hello,
I am 2 quests into my first campaign playing as the OL and I need to clarify something about setup. When the quest instructs you in the setup section to place monsters on the map in specific areas do you place these monsters regardless of where the heroes enter the map? We have been playing that until the heroes open a door to a section that would contain those monsters they are not placed on the map, but I cannot find anything in the rules that makes me think that's right.

Specifically we are about to play the: "My house, my rules" quest from the manor of ravens expansion and in the beginning you place the lieutenant in a room with closed doors that he can move through. I can't tell from reading the quest if I should place him immediately along with other monsters not in the heroes starting area or if I'm supposed to wait till the heroes enter the room to place him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd edition usually has all monsters placed on the map and useable from the very start of the quest. There's not really an exploration or surprise aspect to this game, all information and enemies are known to both sides. I don't think you played it right and it's probably had a big affect on your campaign. I would start over to be fair to both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quest will tell you if you are not to place a group during setup; otherwise, it tells you where to place them at the outset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before playing, you always complete the setup part of the quest completely. You place all tokens, all doors, all monsters, etc, unless specifically told otherwise. For example, it can happen that a monster group enters the game at a later time point. In that case it will say something like: "the own group is not placed during setup".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Dawedu wrote:
Hello,
When the quest instructs you in the setup section to place monsters on the map in specific areas do you place these monsters regardless of where the heroes enter the map? We have been playing that until the heroes open a door to a section that would contain those monsters they are not placed on the map, but I cannot find anything in the rules that makes me think that's right.

Yeah that's not right. There are certain exceptions where monsters aren't placed during setup, but the rules will very explicitly say so.

Not only should you place the monsters before the heroes open the door, the monsters can open the door and attack the heroes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, I had figured that much but wanted to confirm. I think the confusion was because we started playing with RTL where they will open up other portions of the map and place monsters as the heroes proceed.

I texted the group and we are going to proceed with the campaign just doing the correct setup going forward. It's only a mini campaign so we have two more quests to do and then we will be doing a full campaign. In addition both the heroes and OL have won one so hopefully the outcomes ended up being fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.