Lobotomy» Forums » General

Subject: Storage Organizer Design Plans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Lactaoen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: In case images don't work, you can view them in my google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0-_NkWknS19ODYyVWhhTDFJbT...

Hey all, been seeing a lot of posts about custom organizers for this game, with no current solutions on the market specifically for Lobotomy. I decided to try and create my own over the long weekend, and figure I'd post pictures and plans up in hopes of helping anyone out there looking for storage solutions as well as ideas on improving the design. It's not perfect, but for what I wanted for my own personal use, it works.

Couple Caveats and Key Points:

1. Accommodates the base game + the expansion, From the Deep.
2. Doesn't fit the 3D Door tokens, however (if you include the expansion)
3. I don't have any of the other KS Character/Enemy bundles at the moment, but I'm almost certain it wouldn't fit ALL the extras. There might be room for a couple more minis with the current configuration, but I guess we'll see once I get the Character Bundle and Monster Bundle I that I ordered
4. This is my first time doing a foamcore insert for anything, so go easy on all the horrendous cutting you might see in the pictures

Materials
1 - 20in x 30in Foamcore Board (5mm thickness)
OPTIONAL: 2 - Canvas Drawstring Bags (3.5in x 4.5in, but can be any size)
Box Cutter & Glue

The insert I made included 3 modules:
- Card and canvas bag tray
- Minis tray
- Character/Enemy Cards & Tokens tray

First layer at the bottom of the box were the standard tiles from the base game, placing the bag of dice inside the hole created by the tile cutout.

This step was optional but helped with organizing during gameplay. Grab a set of small Canvas Drawstring bags and use one to store the 2D door tokens, and one to store the lockers and whatnot. This also helps during the game if you use the 3D doors, you can just pull a random one out of the bag when you reveal a door.

Next I started thinking about how I was going to store the cards. I had already sleeved the cards (with Swan Panasia thick sleeves, standard size) and wanted to be sure that they would fit. With the tiles already in the box, the cards wouldn't fit vertically, so I decided to lay them horizontally rather than stacked like a card deck. I made the tray just wide enough to fit the sleeved cards and made the tray as long as the board game box (~29cm). There was just enough space at the end of the tray to place the two canvas bags. In the end, the tray dimensions on the outside came out being 29cm x 10.5cm x 7.5cm.

With the space I had left after placing the card tray in the box, the next step for me was deciding how to store the rest of the components that wasn't a figure. This included the tokens, counters, character/enemy cards, body tokens, and First Player token. Decided to go with a tray height of 2cm with inner tray height being 1.5cm, but I feel like the inner tray height could've been reduced to possibly 1cm. I started building around the huge character cards and started creating sections to fit the rest of the pieces. The last section was for the random scenario tokens, which by happenstance after all the other sections were measured out, ending up fitting perfectly stacked 5 or 6 tokens high in a 4 x 3 grid. Overall, the tray came out to about 18.2cm x 29cm x 2cm.

After finishing this tray, it was at this point I realized I wasn't going to have room for the 3D doors. As much as it pained me, I decided I was going to have to compromise at this point to ensure everything else would fit without the box feeling too cramped, so I left the 3D doors out of the final design.

So once I made the decision to not include the 3D doors in the box, I had to figure out a way to carry the minis, which, given how much space I saw that I had left after the first two trays, I wasn't hopeful of fitting. Decided to trash the plastic insert that held the characters and bosses as well as the ziploc bags for the mental patients and scavengers. Made a tray the same width and length as the one below it and as high as the card tray, which, in the end, came out to something like an inner height of 4.5cm. I cut a notch at one end where the inner height was 3.5 cm so that there was space for the small center piece tile and corridor tile.

Once that was established, I made compartments based on what I thought logically made sense. Initially I had more compartments planned but as it was going to lose valuable space, I settled on having 5 compartments - one to hold the heroes, one to hold the big boss minis, one for all the other bosses/mini bosses/elites, one for all basic monsters (nurses/scavengers/mental patients), and one to hold all the Deep Ones.

After finishing the tray and fitting all the minis into it, there was just enough room for the Deep Ones in their compartment (assuming you place them neatly like a Tetris game). The other compartments filled fine, and as you can see from the picture, has enough space for maybe a couple more minis. I intentionally left enough space in the character compartment for when I get my Character Bundle.

Placed that tray on top of the tokens tray and you can see that it fits (again, with the exception of the 3D doors). With the notch that I created, there's room for the smaller tiles, which you can then place the tiles from the expansion on top of. I put the two manuals on top of that along with JD's Player Aid and it seems to fit like a charm!

A couple random thoughts:

- You could probably squeeze out more storage space by not sleeving the cards. This would give you more space to store more cards or other things (like the 3D Doors), as well as cutting on the width of the box to squeeze out slightly more room for the minis tray next to it.

- Also, as the generic Memory cards are the same, there's no point in having more than 5 sets in the box (since the game can only accommodate 5 players). So, if you also have the Character Bundle, you would save yourself 35 cards-worth of space by not including these extra Memory cards.

- There's probably more space that could be saved in the Tokens tray, such as placing the blue and red counters together, or lowering the height from 1.5cm to 1cm or lower.

- The storage solution as is actually works well if you don't have the expansion. As the space required to hold the Deep Ones is no longer needed, it gives space to actually hold all the 3D door tokens or even create more room for all the other Monster and Character bundles.

Super excited to have this game organized, and hoping it will fit the rest of the content I ordered when they come in! If you have any suggestions on how to improve it, feel free to let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg West
msg tools
I'm impressed!
I have never worked with foam core and have been considering giving it a try for Lobotomy! Thanks for posting the pictures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very nice, I just finished mine as well

love your tray for tokens, I went lazy route on that one lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg West
msg tools
I was looking at the dimensions for Zombicide Black Plague foam inserts. The box seems close to the size for Lobotomy. The Zombicide BP dashboards measure bigger than the character cards in Lobotomy. Does anyone out there have both Lobotomy and Zombicide BP with a factory foam organizer? If so, could you see if that is an option? Any thoughts on this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.