Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I was wondering lately about the following situation:

If I have 3 directly adjacent structures, TE-TP-D, and I upgrade my Temple to a Sanctuary (= a combined power value of 6) and pick the Fire 2 favour tile for my SA upgrade, does it automatically trigger the founding of a sanctuary town?

I was unsure, because the rules in Appendix II: The Favor Tiles state:

"From now on [my emphasis], when founding a Town, your Structures only need to have a combined Power value of 6 instead of 7".

Technically, the favour is awarded after the Sanctuary has been placed. Does the "from now on" mean that the effect of Fire2 only applies to towns I found from that point on, or does it also apply to any existing structures that meet the conditions of a town, in which case, in the situation described above, the tile would immediately trigger the SA-TP-D to become a town.

We played it so that SA-TP-D immediately triggered.

(P.S.: I couldn't find the answer to my question in the TM FAQ)

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it triggers. At that point, under normal circumstances, had you not taken the Red 2 favor, you'd still have a group of buildings with a combined power of 6 that would not form a town. Taking that favor would instantly make that grouping a town, just as if you had another group of buildings, say a stronghold and 3 dwellings, it would instantly turn that into a town as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FAV5 = 2 FIRE, -1 TOWN_SIZE
SA = sanctuary
TE = temple
D = dwelling
TP = trading post
Re: Request to use fewer on-line abbreviations
The 6 power value conglomerates become towns when Fire 2 is purchased, whatever age they have. See FAV5 and +cult town tiles where this happens, but in a more convoluted situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
The above are correct. The "from now on" seems like it only involves future and not the past. I think it could have been worded better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@joepunman, gaaloechild, and mls5stokes: thank you for the confirmation, it is much appreciated!

So would the following be a realistic scenario? : if there is town scoring (Town>>5vp) in round 5 or 6, Witches could set up x3 "6 power value conglomerates" (I just love gaaloechilde's wording!), say TE-TP-D, SH-D-D-D, and TP-TP-D-D, and if they got their timing right, upgrade the TE of the first conglomerate to SA in R5/6, pick the Fire2 favor for the upgrade, thus immediately activating 3 towns and scoring an insane number of points (30 points plus vp from the 3 Town tiles).

I think I'm having another terra mystical moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sprockitz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
@joepunman, gaaloechild, and mls5stokes: thank you for the confirmation, it is much appreciated!

So would the following be a realistic scenario? : if there is town scoring (Town>>5vp) in round 5 or 6, Witches could set up x3 "6 power value conglomerates" (I just love gaaloechilde's wording!), say TE-TP-D, SH-D-D-D, and TP-TP-D-D, and if they got their timing right, upgrade the TE of the first conglomerate to SA in R5/6, pick the Fire2 favor for the upgrade, thus immediately activating 3 towns and scoring an insane number of points (30 points plus vp from the 3 Town tiles).

Yes, this is a very realistic scenario, and actually happens quite frequently with late town scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Olander
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caylusboy wrote:

happens quite often, not only with witches they will of course benefit "more" from it, but Mermaids have an easier time controlling it, since they could build the SA in a r5 SA>5 round, and then wait until r6 to form the towns, given that they include a river hex.
RW can also with their SH and 2 bridges easily finalize 3 towns in a single round, and Nomads will also have an easy time finishing 3 towns in r6.
the downside to this, is that you don't get the snowball effect of the ressources from the towns early on, especially with Swarmlings, who want their 3 workers per town as early as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Olander wrote:
Mermaids have an easier time controlling it, since they could build the SA in a r5 SA>5 round, and then wait until r6 to form the towns, given that they include a river hex.

I see, so the Mermaids can do the Sanctuary upgrade and pick the Fire2 favour in an earlier round (ideally a SH/SA>>5 round, as you say), and connect 3 6-power value clusters straddling a river by using their special ability in R6. Very cool!

So it is a good strategy for Witches and Mermaids to aim for 3 towns if there is Town scoring in R6. Witches' ability allows them to score huge points, but the timing is easier for Mermaids.

Per Olander wrote:
the downside to this, is that you don't get the snowball effect of the ressources from the towns early on, especially with Swarmlings, who want their 3 workers per town as early as possible.

This seems like such an important point!

Many thanks for these great pointers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure: when you take FAV5 (2 Fire), then all your "6 power value conglomerates" with 4 hexes or more (e.g. a TP-TP-D-D combo) immediately become towns, whether you want it or not. The foundation of towns is not optional once the requirements are met, and FAV5 lowers the requirements for its new owner everywhere on the map, so it can lead to the foundation of up to four towns with just one action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.