1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Neoprene Mat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T C
msg tools
mb
I'd like to make my own neoprene mat of the whole damn verse. Anybody know where I can find a high resolution pic of it? All I can find on Google is 1200 x 700, which isn't good enough. Thx,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does 5000 x 2000 work?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3155018/phideaux1?size=o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How are you printing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I know not what you asked for, but the vinyl mat sold by GF9 is really nice and works very well. $40.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/gf9online_store.aspx?CategoryID=1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntzyClancy wrote:
I'd like to make my own neoprene mat of the whole damn verse. Anybody know where I can find a high resolution pic of it? All I can find on Google is 1200 x 700, which isn't good enough. Thx,
i made one (and love it)...BGG mail me your email address and i'll email it to you, along with the place that made it for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I know not what you asked for, but the vinyl mat sold by GF9 is really nice and works very well. $40.

I have one of these as well. It's nice, but I'd much prefer a neoprene (mousepad style) mat like some other publishers are doing nowadays.

Vinyl can easily get permanent creases in it if you're not careful when handling it. Also, it's just cheaper feeling and has too slick of a surface for my taste.

I guess I've been spoiled by recent purchases with neoprene mats ( Century: Golem Edition, 878 Vikings, and Champions of Midgard )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntzyClancy wrote:

just an FYI: the map i've emailed (as requested, by 3 of you) was made by another BGG member...i just added the BG, and then created it as a 48"x48" file (since the min custom map i could order was 48x48)...the image is hi-res and the maps come out great! and by making it a 48x48 you can simply cut down the middle, and now you have 2! (i store them in Staples round mailing tubes)

the cost is about $75 if i remember right, with free s/h (and about a 48 hr turnaround time!...so if 2 of you went in on one you could obv cut the cost almost in half...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Their mat is really nice, but it needs to be like 80% the size or less. I still have never figured out why they felt the need to make some of the spaces on the board so big. So much wasted space in a game that already has a huge table presence. Scaling the board down 75-80% or so makes it much easier to get on the table with all of the various decks, player boards, and other accessories around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
Maybe. The online designer says "Good" quality. Could be better, but this might work ok. I'll print out some tests. Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
I'm using Contrado.com. I've used them before to print out a neoprene map I designed for Formula D Star Wars Pod Racing. I'll post it here when it's done loading. It was 57 x 35 inches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
Yes, I've seen that but wanted something better. $40 seems overprices for a vinyl mat. You could probably print it yourself for that price, on better material. I expect the neoprene to cost about $65, but its a lot better than vinyl. Thx,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntzyClancy wrote:
Yes, I've seen that but wanted something better. $40 seems overprices for a vinyl mat. You could probably print it yourself for that price, on better material. I expect the neoprene to cost about $65, but its a lot better than vinyl. Thx,

True.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
Nice to know, thx. That's great because I can make my neoprene mat smaller and save some $$. Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
I just noticed that my replies are not connecting to the comments be are just being added to the bottom. Sorry, not much experience posting here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
50x20 mat cost was 61+shipping. 40x16 mat is 47+shipping. Nice savings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
There appears to be a small qty discount for ordering 2 or more. You get the most discount going from 1 to 2, not much after that. Let me know if anyone else is interested. I would imagine you'd have to live close to me so we can meet up because additional shipping would ruin the advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:

There is something very odd about the quality of this graphic. Can someone else look at it and confirm that there is nothing wrong with it? Thx,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bill recreated the map. That may be the difference you're seeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
mb
John_VW wrote:
AntzyClancy wrote:

just an FYI: the map i've emailed (as requested, by 3 of you) was made by another BGG member...i just added the BG, and then created it as a 48"x48" file (since the min custom map i could order was 48x48)...the image is hi-res and the maps come out great! and by making it a 48x48 you can simply cut down the middle, and now you have 2! (i store them in Staples round mailing tubes)

the cost is about $75 if i remember right, with free s/h (and about a 48 hr turnaround time!...so if 2 of you went in on one you could obv cut the cost almost in half...

With a reduction to 80%, the size is 16x40, which means I could get 3 mats out of a 48x48. The cost is now $80 + free shipping, so $26.67 a piece. Any takers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AntzyClancy wrote:
John_VW wrote:
AntzyClancy wrote:

With a reduction to 80%, the size is 16x40, which means I could get 3 mats out of a 48x48. The cost is now $80 + free shipping, so $26.67 a piece. Any takers?
i would suggest keeping it at 48x48, 2 maps/mats (and just splitting the cost with 2)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made mine at 70% of the original size (35" x 14" for the whole 'verse), and its perfect. Fits on a table and everything. This is the size I recommend to anyone wanting to do their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harbinjer wrote:
I made mine at 70% of the original size (35" x 14" for the whole 'verse), and its perfect. Fits on a table and everything. This is the size I recommend to anyone wanting to do their own.

Sounds ideal. Any chance of a quick picture, showing ships on your mat, so I can get an idea of how it looks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end, after measuring my table, I went for the 40" x 16" size, using a UK printer called Bags of Love. It cost me 30 pounds for 1000gsm neoprene.

It arrived today, and I am thrilled with it. The print quality is as good as the original (many thanks to Bill Saunders for that!), and the mat has a really nice feel to it.

And I have gained so much more space on my table. The game with the 3 boards did fit my table (it is fairly large), but we were always on the edge with our player mats, and cards and stuff. This gives us a lot more space, and I think the ships still fit quite well.

It also now gives us the option to play it in the lounge, where I have a medium sized table adjustable to sofa height. Given that we sometimes have 3 tables running on my game sessions, that flexibility is valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty slick. May end up going this route some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Showed it off to some of my game group today, and we ended up playing it.

This picture is kind of low res, but the link below will take you to a 360° image of the board, with ships and counters.

https://theta360.com/s/rAtF42u0n2tpHc1RGox1SB6Xo

We started with 3 players, but 2 others joined us in the first turn (so it was easy to catch them up). Normally, playing this game with 5 the original 3 game boards would have been a no-no, as it would have left us with no space. We did use up the whole table-top, but we all had plenty of room for our mats, and it was comfortable to play.

Ships all fitted into spaces fine, including one time we had two Fireflys and a stack of counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.