Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really liked deck builders much, until I found Baseball Highlights: 2045. I liked that that game focused not just on building killer combos in your deck, but also had a heavy emphasis on playing your cards correctly.

I am looking for something similar in a deck construction. First off, I will most likely not get into a collectible model, and am specifically not interested in magic. I'm looking for either an LCG or a self-contained system like Ashes. My impression (which could be false) from playing Hearthstone is that in deck construction games, your cards play themselves somewhat because you have constructed your deck to work an optimum way.

Is there a game where players construct decks either beforehand or as part of the setup of the game (like in Sola Fide: The Reformation, but has an emphasis not just on the deck construction, but also playing your hand out strategically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Mage Wars Academy nails the deck construction. There is not hand management but a ton of strategy to how to play your cards. You essentially construct a spell book and on your turn you will most times only be able to play at most two cards from your spell book (there is no concept of a hand of cards from which to choose). The biggest issue of this game is finding be people who are willing to play and/or learn it.

Great Western Trail - Not a deck constructing game but the deck construction and hand management component of this game is very well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heroesbane wrote:
Mage Wars Academy nails the deck construction. There is not hand management but a ton of strategy to how to play your cards. You essentially construct a spell book and on your turn you will most times only be able to play at most two cards from your spell book (there is no concept of a hand of cards from which to choose). The biggest issue of this game is finding be people who are willing to play and/or learn it.

Great Western Trail - Not a deck constructing game but the deck construction and hand management component of this game is very well done.

Thanks. I don't really like Mage Wars that much, and I think the hand management in Great Western Trail is a weak aspect of the game (plus it is not at all the genre I was looking for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Maybe the FFG LCG version of Legend of the Five Rings might fit the bill? It's one I've been wanting to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruff sounds perfect.

Draft gruffs, build deck, hit each other's face with tough choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Progress: Evolution of Technology for a quick tech tree builder
Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game for survival deck management to be top predator
Lewis & Clark for a neat card use and engine building race game
Terraforming Mars for terraforming? It's all about the cards really.
Or are you after a magic alternative?

Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game is the one I will be playing a lot of after getting a few games in at the weekend.
Its one where you have objectives and a mission type . You build up a squad depending on the mission and deal with encounters using you chosen deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Progress: Evolution of Technology for a quick tech tree builder
Apex Theropod Deck-Building Game for survival deck management to be top predator
Lewis & Clark for a neat card use and engine building race game
Terraforming Mars for terraforming? It's all about the cards really.
Or are you after a magic alternative?

Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game is the one I will be playing a lot of after getting a few games in at the weekend.
Its one where you have objectives and a mission type . You build up a squad depending on the mission and deal with encounters using you chosen deck.

I'm looking for a deck construction game specifically, where you make a deck before the game then play the game out. I'm not just looking for a card game. I'll look at Warfighter, but none of the others really match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
My impression (which could be false) from playing Hearthstone is that in deck construction games, your cards play themselves somewhat because you have constructed your deck to work an optimum way.

Yup, that's pretty much like Hearthstone (or MtG) plays.
KissellMissile wrote:
Is there a game where players construct decks either beforehand or as part of the setup of the game (like in Sola Fide: The Reformation, but has an emphasis not just on the deck construction, but also playing your hand out strategically?
While you mentioned you weren't interested in games using the LCG model, the deck-construction game with the most strategic _gameplay_ I know of is clearly Warhammer 40,000: Conquest.

In this game, a number of planets are arranged in a row and you can deploy troops to any of them, but each round a battle only occurs at the first planet in the row, with the winner gaining control of it (and removing it from the row). At other planets you (only) get more resources and additional card draws.
This means you have to think many rounds ahead and carefully distribute your forces, choose the planets you plan to conquer and those you may be willing to let your opponent get (ideally costing them plenty of troops and resources with a minimal investment from your side).

Since it's been discontinued there's a finite number of cards available and there haven't been _that_ many expansions. If you see someone who wants to sell their collection, you should seriously consider getting it. To get a first impression, a core set (or [ideally] two) is sufficient.

Note that I'm not a fan of the setting at all, but that's definitely not a requirement to enjoy the game, as the art and fluff is easily ignored.

And if you wonder about my (low) rating: it's because I generally suck at highly strategic games and thus never learned to play WH 40k: Conquest well... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
I am looking for something similar in a deck construction. First off, I will most likely not get into a collectible model, and am specifically not interested in magic. I'm looking for either an LCG or a self-contained system like Ashes.

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set fits your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.