Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have recently learned that counterfeit copies of the game are being distributed via Amazon’s Fulfillment by Amazon service.  We have purchased confirmed counterfeit copies of the game from the following third-party retailers on Amazon:

FastnBest LLC
Daily Deals Shop (NO TAX)
Tax Free Tech
Speedybuyllc

Of course, more may show up and we will continue to monitor this situation. If you bought a counterfeit version of the Dominion 2nd edition game, we encourage you to return it to Amazon for a refund – and hope you will buy another from a reputable retailer. Of course, most sellers are selling legit games, including, of course, Amazon itself. For those who are uncertain if the game they bought is a counterfeit, there are two obvious differences. The counterfeit game has a VERY badly made plastic inlay with crumpled in the plastic and the artists names on the cards are not white, but tend toward orange and red. If your game has this, it is counterfeit. Counterfeit examples on the right

Jay at Rio Grande Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
There seem to be issued with Amazon and counterfeit lately.

Cheers for the heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad to hear this is hitting our industry now. At this point, everyone needs to think long and hard about clicking "buy" on any Amazon 3rd party seller.

It has already been a scalper's paradise for years, hoping for accidental clicks on hilariously marked up items. But now it has become a direct pipeline for cheaply made goods straight from Chinese factories. Decades of product safety regulation are going out the window, especially when it comes to plug-in devices (don't risk burning your house down or electrocution just to save a few bucks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
gundabad wrote:
Sad to hear this is hitting our industry now. At this point, everyone needs to think long and hard about clicking "buy" on any Amazon 3rd party seller.

It has already been a scalper's paradise for years, hoping for accidental clicks on hilariously marked up items. But now it has become a direct pipeline for cheaply made goods straight from Chinese factories. Decades of product safety regulation are going out the window, especially when it comes to plug-in devices (don't risk burning your house down or electrocution just to save a few bucks).

Even amazon themselves are quite good at getting people to buy rubbish. I've stopped using wishlists since my mum last year bought presents from it for me and my siblings but she'd scrolled down the page to Amazon's "other recommendations" section without realising. We all ended up with a random selection of stuff that she thought was on our lists! Very funny, but also highlighted Amazon's increasingly messy page designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some articles about counterfeits and Amazon:
http://blog.brandisty.com/brand-management-blog/amazon-s-cou...
https://consumerist.com/2016/07/08/5-things-you-should-know-...
https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID...

Here's what you have to know about counterfeits:

Quote:
Ships from and sold by [third-party seller]
These items are not touched by Amazon and ship directly from the Third Party Seller. This is how most of the counterfeit goods are sold.

Fulfilled by Amazon
These items are not sold by Amazon, but are shipped from one of Amazon’s fulfillment centers. This means that items are processed by Amazon but are not necessarily verified.

Sold by Amazon
These items are sold by Amazon and are most likely the legitimate product.

While the first case has the most risk of counterfeits, Jay may be referring to the second case. Specifically, when "Fulfilled by Amazon", stock from *several* sources may be commingled. So guess what happens when *one* of these sources is counterfeit. You now have no guarantee that, when "buying" from a legitimate source (ie. a seller who provided legitimate stock), *Amazon* will send you a counterfeit product.

My guess is that it's simply cheaper for Amazon to provide poorer service to customers (eg. no longer protecting books by wrapping them in protective plastic with cardboard). It's less expensive to handle a customer's complaint about a counterfeit than for Amazon Fulfillment to check each piece of stock for a counterfeit item.

More info in the Hot Deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links.

Sam and Max wrote:

Do you mean the Discussing Retailers forum?

I once posted a question in the Hot Deals forum and posters immediately started guessing how long it would take to get moved. It took a couple hours. Nothing but Hot Deals allowed in the Hot Deals forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gundabad wrote:

FWIW, we've had counterfeit bg for decades now, unless you're referring to more prominence on the Amazon marketplace?

PeterHendee wrote:
Thanks for the links.

Sam and Max wrote:

Do you mean the Discussing Retailers forum?

I once posted a question in the Hot Deals forum and posters immediately started guessing how long it would take to get moved. It took a couple hours. Nothing but Hot Deals allowed in the Hot Deals forum.

Putting it in the Discussing Retailers would also work. However, I recall it's "stickied" in Hot Deals because it's a public service announcement that ended up coming up a lot there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Petersen
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been hearing about counterfeit games on Amazon for a couple years. Things like Qwirkle, Cards Against Humanity, Super Fight. But more and more they are games that are more involved with making fakes.
Best rule of thumb: Avoid third party buyers on Amazon you don't know who they are or who your buying from. Check to see if they have a legit site. Or just buy from online stores with solid reputations or your local game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gamers Grind wrote:
I have been hearing about counterfeit games on Amazon for a couple years. Things like Qwirkle, Cards Against Humanity, Super Fight. But more and more they are games that are more involved with making fakes.
Best rule of thumb: Avoid third party buyers on Amazon you don't know who they are or who your buying from. Check to see if they have a legit site. Or just buy from online stores with solid reputations or your local game stores.
FWIW, check to see what reviews have to say. Buyers tend to post reviews making it known their products were fake/counterfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Garner
United States
Lutherville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I've stopped buying games from Amazon as a whole. Only game I got from Amazon was fake and I sent it right back. Given that CSI and MM both have great discounts for online orders, if I'm worried about the price at my FLGS I will just purchase from a reputable online source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can order a game from Amazon and get it the next day, for free or a small nominal shipping charge. None of the games-only retailers can do that.

It doesn't sound like a problem when buying from Amazon.com. Just when buying from other sellers on the Amazon.com site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I can order a game from Amazon and get it the next day, for free or a small nominal shipping charge. None of the games-only retailers can do that.

It doesn't sound like a problem when buying from Amazon.com. Just when buying from other sellers on the Amazon.com site.

All stock for a particular item is mixed in the Amazon warehouse bin regardless of its source/seller. Therefore, it's possible to get counterfeit from third party and fulfilled by Amazon or even if sold by Amazon itself. It's always a gamble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

That's even with (Prime) 2-day shipping. Someone ordered a game with Amazon Prime 2-day shipping and it still managed to arrive just after 24 hours!

I still had a gift card to use up, so it's like free money. I didn't want to buy any other games (I was really only in it for that one because it was 50% off) to get super saver shipping, but I did need a wireless, mobile computer mouse, which a OLGS wouldn't have, so all the better cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
All stock for a particular item is mixed in the Amazon warehouse bin regardless of its source/seller.

No way. Do you have a source for this claim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:
All stock for a particular item is mixed in the Amazon warehouse bin regardless of its source/seller.

It certainly can't be true for vendors who only use Amazon as a storefront and keep their own stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

By default, inventory is commingled unless the seller opts to pay a fee to keep their inventory separate.

Manufacturer barcode = commingled
Amazon barcode = non-commingled

LastFootnote wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

It certainly can't be true for vendors who only use Amazon as a storefront and keep their own stock.

Yes, that is true. Commingled inventory is FBA (fulfillment by Amazon) only; self-fulfillment is not stored at Amazon typically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
shigadeyo wrote:

By default, inventory is commingled unless the seller opts to pay a fee to keep their inventory separate.

Note that the linked page states that inventory is commingled with "other sellers" stock (meaning other FBA sellers) not Amazon's own shipped and sold by Amazon inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Rio Grande can request to Amazon that they block the option of commingling inventory for their games, for which there is a counterfeiting problem. Presumably, this is fairly rare for Amazon, but happens with certain kinds of goods, and they have some process for addressing that. They obviously do know which sellers provided the particular goods that turned out to be counterfeit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That mixing together of the same SKU from different vendors is going to be the death of Amazon. It's an invitation to fraud. Chinese sellers are unscrupulous and view such situations as an open invitation. They don't see it a shameful abuse of a trusting system, but utter stupidity that must be exploited to the hilt.

Opening up a direct conduit from Chinese factories to American consumers was a huge mistake by Amazon. It will destroy their reputation. Even Chinese consumers think it's a stupid idea. This episode of counterfeiting a board game will just multiply until it's in just about every product. It's going to get much worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
That mixing together of the same SKU from different vendors is going to be the death of Amazon.

It certainly isn't going to be the death of Amazon. One, because they can just stop doing it at any time. Two, because it only is potentially an issue for a tiny fraction of products they carry. And three, because it's very easy for them to track who provided counterfeit merchandise and penalize them appropriately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
One, because they can just stop doing it at any time.

Yeah, but they won't.

Quote:
Two, because it only is potentially an issue for a tiny fraction of products they carry.

It's going to get worse and worse, and people will start noticing. It's already happened. How many people do you know who are Amazon buyers who haven't received faulty or counterfeit products?

Quote:
And three, because it's very easy for them to track who provided counterfeit merchandise and penalize them appropriately.

All the products go into the same bin when drop-shipped directly from the Chinese into Amazon's warehouse. How's anyone going to tell?

China already went through this crap with Taobao. Not the exact same situation, but counterfeit goods, defective crap, and so on. Amazon runs a trust-based business and trust is not something that Chinese suppliers believe in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Yeah, but they won't.

It's going to get worse and worse, and people will start noticing. It's already happened. How many people do you know who are Amazon buyers who haven't received faulty or counterfeit products?

If it gets worse, to the point that people start noticing, then of course Amazon will adjust its policies. You may know more about Chinese counterfeiters than I do, but I know more about internet businesses than you do. Companies like Amazon try lots of things, sometimes problems occur, they learn from those and adjust their policies to respond to those problems. I can give dozens of other examples of that. The idea that they are just going to do nothing, to the point that one of the world's most valuable corporations is completely destroyed, is ridiculous.

And, no, I've never had a problem with counterfeit goods from Amazon. I would venture that the vast majority of Amazon purchasers haven't.

Quote:
All the products go into the same bin when drop-shipped directly from the Chinese into Amazon's warehouse.

This is just wrong. Amazon tracks every item individually. It's clearly stated on their website. SKU pooling is simply a convenience so that they can ship items from the closest warehouse, but they know who provided the particular item that any buyer receives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We, the BGG community care a lot about getting counterfeit bg. I don't believe the rest of the Amazon community knows, nor would care though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are officially mainstream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khexhu

Plainfield
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
jumbit wrote:
That mixing together of the same SKU from different vendors is going to be the death of Amazon.

They don't actually PHYSICALLY do this. It's virtual comingling. It's not like they line up all copies of a boardgame together such as at Coolstuffinc. It's way more sophisticated than that. As a seller you opt-in or out of comingling. If your comingled/stickerless there is still 100% tracking via the physical coordinates within a specific warehouse. They do not physically dump your product next to other sellers with similar sku. Thats far too inefficient and they've no need to do that. Again its virtual comingling. You can sign up to tour an Amazon warehouse and you can see how it all works. Anyone can get a tour. 99% of the time its purpose is to fulfill out of a different regional warehouse anyway vs within the same (as would sometimes be the case with an item exchange).

I purchase nearly everything I can on Amazon even things like cat liter and I've never had a problem with fraudulent items. When I'm not 100% otherwise satisfied they either take the item back or in a few cases of inexpensive items told me to just keep it along with the full refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.