Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cang Ling Yee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Pax Vobiscum
mbmbmbmbmb
Would really appreciate it if someone can help clarify this.

Question background
This campaign does not allow add ons and the campaign book is one of the "exclusives" add ons.
From what I understand, this campaign book actually complements the "king pledge extras" rather well. Now it looks to me like new pledgers will permanently lose access to 19 scenarios via official channels. (both the all in and add ons tiers are sold out now- no book)

Questions:
1.) Has there been any mention of a reprint of the book?
2.) Are the scenarios essential to the king pledge, will I have a bunch of useless material without a scenario if I cannot get the book?
3.) Has monolith made a pdf version available somewhere?
4.) Does the Book of Set share the same scenario with this campaign book?

TIA guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Not that I've heard of - and a reprint is probably doubtful as it needs King's Pledge content

2) The King's Pledge shouldn't be useless without the campaign book. They have pledged to gradually produce content on their site which will cover all the content in the stretch goals, the King's Pledge and the various addon boxes. They are doing so, but it's a gradual process - in their defence in these three sets there's a shedload of additional content that's required to be made, and it all needs playtesting, balancing, etc so it will take some time. If you look on the site I'm sure there's an adventure that uses just the King's Pledge and base set content. http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/scenarios/

3) Unfortunately not - I'm also rather surprised at this, given the post-KS demand for the scenario book. Keep an eye on things and this might change.

4) No, the Book Of Set (as I understand it - double-check the KS page) is a compilation of scenarios that are available on, and upcoming to, the above site, plus some character background, lore, etc. So for the game it shouldn't be (again, as I understand it) necessary, it provides freely available mechanical content in a nice bound book. But it also has the extra thematic stuff, if that's your thing (it is mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for answering the questions. As a new pledger for the King pledge, I have exactly the same concern about the KSE Campaign book. I really hope Monolith to read this and provide us a way to access the scenarios, may be a PDF sold on their online store would be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the comments on the KS, more people are interested in the original Campaign Book as a reprint.

The talk at the moment seems to be that it might be something to look for in the 2019 Conan KS.

I vote for that too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was an exclusive item so don't expect it to make a return. What you could do however, is ask Monolith to create another campaign for the next Conan KS in 2019, non-exclusive this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noted and thanks for the comments.
As for now, pledge cancelled and wait for 2019 KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cang Ling Yee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Pax Vobiscum
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for the response.

I have also gotten a direct message from the official channels as well.
Quote:

That campaign book won't be reprinted in the near future. Sorry.
The book was KS Exclusive so releasing its content in a pdf would create a lot of bad comments (even more than now)
The scenarios of the Book of Set already allow you to play the King + SG content so you should be ok

Looks like if you ever want a campaign book with the original printing without waiting for 3 years, now is the time to hit geekmarkets/ebays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cang Ling Yee
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Pax Vobiscum
mbmbmbmbmb
alexlyf wrote:
Noted and thanks for the comments.
As for now, pledge cancelled and wait for 2019 KS.

Why on earth would you cancel your pledge? You will get your game in November versus sometime in 2020 if you join the 2019 campaign. And there will not be another king pledge again- the 2019 campaign is going to a new campaign and that means the campaign offering is going to very different. Expect the hard to get small expansions but don't hope too much if you are the completionist type.

If you go in at a lower level (re king pledge), you'd at least know whether your gaming group even like the game in the first place. That would make much better financial sense than to dive into an all in during 2019 and find out that your group doesn't like it in 2020, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Zube
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals."
badge
You were doing well until everyone died.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a company says they will never reprint something, and is not providing it for sale, how does this affect copyright law? At what point is it legal to share once no one is able to profit from it anymore other than resellers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoonWho wrote:
If a company says they will never reprint something, and is not providing it for sale, how does this affect copyright law? At what point is it legal to share once no one is able to profit from it anymore other than resellers?

About 96 years after publication in the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Zube
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
"Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals."
badge
You were doing well until everyone died.
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
dragoonWho wrote:

That's legal to sell, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoonWho wrote:
DancingFool wrote:
dragoonWho wrote:

That's legal to sell, isn't it?

True. For sharing, honestly, it's up to the publisher. That's what "copyright" means. The owner reserves the right to determine how the work is distributed. They may give you permission, but you should ask them. That's why you'll see phrases like "used with permission" under copyright notices. If you just take something and share it willy-nilly without asking permission is when you end up in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Leung
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi canglingy,

I appreciate your concern. There are many reasons I cancelled my pledge but one of the reasons is that this KS is an unplanned one and I am simply not comfortable resource wise. Also, owning more then 20 games un-played doesn't help. On top of that I have enough KS games arriving between now and the end of the year.

The other point I have considered is the low number of scenarios being the weakness of the base game. Also, if I am going to pledge for KS 2019, it will be unlikely the said campaign book that MAY get reprinted will be compatible with the new system. I don't see myself playing both the old and new version at the same time and meanwhile owning an half assed collection of Conan game doesn't appeal to me.

So, all the best to the KS campaign and hope you guys have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the reasons why I hate KS exclusives with a passion - for various reasons people aren't always able to back a KS, and if their position changes later then I'd love them to have access to the cool stuff I've got, if it's viable from the company's POV. Unfortunately some people get precious about these exclusives and can get rather vocal if they're released later. But fortunately I think companies are getting wise to this issue (and potential future revenue streams) as I see more and more items being listed as either non-exclusive or timed exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The exclusive part of the campaign book is also the fact that it is a beautifully produced, hard cover book with not only scenarios and rules for the campaign, as well as cards, but also a number of pages with full-page illustrations.
Perhaps Monolith could make available as a free (or even perhaps a few bucks) the campaign + rules and cards but without the illustrations part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sykes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I hate KS exclusives with a passion - for various reasons people aren't always able to back a KS, and if their position changes later then I'd love them to have access to the cool stuff I've got, if it's viable from the company's POV. Unfortunately some people get precious about these exclusives and can get rather vocal if they're released later. But fortunately I think companies are getting wise to this issue (and potential future revenue streams) as I see more and more items being listed as either non-exclusive or timed exclusive.

Couldn't agree with this more. I mean the vast majority of KSEs are free and that is more than enough reward for me as a backer. I want everyone to enjoy the full game experience, not just those lucky enough to get in on the kickstarter campaign. This is why I've not bothered picking up Arcadia Quest or Rum and Bones. So many KSEs in those games.

Not that bothered about cosmetic exclusives really, but actual game content should not be restricted in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.