Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the green grocer ever a good investment? It costs a lot for what it gives. Usually the earliest it can get completed is the 3rd round and it requires 6 goods (and 6 donkeys) but it only gives about 3-4 goods back until the end of the game. Is there a scenario where going for a greengrocer would make sense? Even if someone needed pigs I think it's much easier to procure them via other means compared to supplying 6 goods to the greengrocer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Green grocer
infi01 wrote:
Usually the earliest it can get completed is the 3rd round

The earliest you can complete the green grocer is in round 1. Just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right. I see how this could happen in the first round. So, that means the greengrocer could potentially give 6 goods in return for an investment of 6 goods and 6 donkeys. I'm trying to think of scenarios when it would be a good strategy. For now I can think of just one when someone needs a reliable source of pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
So, that means the greengrocer could potentially give 6 goods in return for an investment of 6 goods and 6 donkeys.

There is more in it! If you are fast you can also get one point for the round, one for being the first to complete the building and one point for opening another craft building. Makes three points and a heck of income stuff in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
infi01 wrote:
So, that means the greengrocer could potentially give 6 goods in return for an investment of 6 goods and 6 donkeys.

There is more in it! If you are fast you can also get one point for the round, one for being the first to complete the building and one point for opening another craft building. Makes three points and a heck of income stuff in return.
Pig production is pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg G.
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
infi01 wrote:

I agree but those VPs are also acquired when completing any other craft building, so the VPs don't make any one building more special than others. So, I'm focusing only on comparing the ROI, i.e. goods received vs goods invested. For example, a merchant gives 18 coins back on 6 coins invested, but the greengrocer gives only 6 goods back on 6 goods invested (in best case scenario).

In my opinion, it would be more balanced if the greengrocer gave back 2 harvest goods or 1 pig (per round). This would make it more on par with other buildings in terms of ROI. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Flexibility is also something to consider here. You might just get an olive (which would cost you 3 silver to purchase) but depending on what you need you get a good that can be used right away for a market barrow.

The 3 silver from the Merchant are also buying you an olive. But not grapes or pigs.

I would normally prefer delivering to the Green Grocer before investing in the Merchant. To me this is more like a beginners move to make sure you won't feel a shortage in silver. It seems so obvious. The Merchant makes sure you will have no problems purchasing roof tiles. The Green Grocer helps you working on some market barrows without having to play too much fields and still be able to have at least some basic goods...

I do not see the Green Grocer underpowered. And no one prooved me wrong so far. Might happen, that some day someone will proove it to me. I am pretty sure that by now there are some people out there who played the game way more often then I did.

I learned when designing La Granja, that randomness and dealing with it by being flexible is a currency as well. A currency that is not reflected in that math you did correctly above. Money makes me flexible as well. Right. But the Green Grocer offers the higer valued good compared to the Merchant. So the bigger investment is reflected here from my point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.