8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: Combat Hex Tradeable Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Lingering Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M M
msg tools
Hello,

I have several lingering questions about this game since I started playing well over 10 years ago haha. I dont expect them to all get answered but I would appreciate any insight. I also never got the chance to play in any of the official tournaments back in the day with perhaps some of hte more advanced players or wider community.

1. Does evil have the superior minions? Probably 60-80% of the time evil wins when my friends and I play even to this day. Evil minions on the whole seem to have more survivability and "force multipliers" like the red and purple BS orc warriors who bring 4 toughness and armor to the fight with dirty fighting! Plus you have the purple BS uruk warriors with aggressive strategy. I dont know of any good minions that bring that same force multiplication to the battle and survivability.

Archers: Ya I think the BS uruk archers and the FE uruk archers are hands-down the best basic archers in the game with their 2 health, 4 toughness, and at least 2 ranged attack- not a single good archer I know of brings those basic qualities to the fight unless you splurge for an expensive BS lothlorien archer with armor to add some survivability with the 2/8 ranged attack.

Dont get me started on the FE purple uruk archer, the BS purple uruk bezerker, or the BS purple uruk scouts. All 3 of those guys appear in every evil army and absolutely level the field with their specials.

2. BS Guards of the Fountain Court: Why are they trash? I thought these guys were the elite of the gondorian army yet the orange dudes bring a measly 2 toughness to the fight which puts them at a disadvantage against your average orc warrior. I suppose the RK Guards kind of made up for this- not that I ever got the chance to get any hah.

-Also the Numernorians (warriors with same toughness as goblins) kind of suck to- I thought they were also elites or something of the past age. My only thought here was the game makers wanted you to to be able to re-enact the Sauron battle where he levels dudes.

3. Stat calculations: BS 71 Gondorian Warrior and FE 01 Orc soldier are the exact same stat for stat except the Gondorian warrior is 5 more pts! There is also the BS gondorian archer vs rohirrim archer...same cost gondorian has less movement. Anyways some of the stat differences have always confused me.

Anyways just some things about this game that have always bothered me. Still love the game though! No way in hell would I ever have the time or desire to paint 500 figure and pull out rulers and such..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

GOOD QUESTIONS . . . sorry I don't have any answers for you. These type of things were often debated on the Sabertooth and Snaggletooth web sites which have both shut down and are no longer available. I believe that the whole LotR:TMG project was a subsidiary of Games Workshop, since it used their sculpts for figures and may have been hastily thrown together during the heyday of the Tolkien revival in an attempt to capture some of the HeroClix / Mage Knights market share. Therefore (I'm speculating) not all of the models stats were thoroughly compared and tested. Yes, some duplication and over-costing/under-costing unintentionally crept into the game that upset the "balance." Back in 'the day' the aficionados clamored loudly about such things, but now all discussion of such things is specious. My only recommendation is to hold a game group counsel to vote on an errata of House Rules for these situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johngee wrote:
I believe that the whole LotR:TMG project was a subsidiary of Games Workshop, since it used their sculpts for figures and may have been hastily thrown together during the heyday of the Tolkien revival in an attempt to capture some of the HeroClix / Mage Knights market share.

This is true - Sabertooth was owned by Games Workshop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
Johngee wrote:
I believe that the whole LotR:TMG project was a subsidiary of Games Workshop, since it used their sculpts for figures and may have been hastily thrown together during the heyday of the Tolkien revival in an attempt to capture some of the HeroClix / Mage Knights market share.

This is true - Sabertooth was owned by Games Workshop.

I did not know that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
warren khan
United Kingdom
Trawden
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello.

I thought I was the only one looking at these. Good points, but I think they were costed that way on purpose. The good guys were always outnumbered and outgunned. They had missions to do against impossible odds. So it wasn't about them killing all the baddies, it was about them surviving long enough to achieve their goals. GW bought out sabertooth and pretty much gutted them (as far as I know) to make their own line, the battle system books have lots of scenarios where the players have to achieve particular goals with particular figures, I tend to use their scenarios. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm typing on a tiny phone, in the dark, waiting for my son to go to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixdof wrote:
Hello.
<~snip~>
... I'm typing on a tiny phone, in the dark, waiting for my son to go to sleep.

LMAO ~ maybe you should be reading him a bed time story like "The Hobbit," or to really make him sleepy read to him from one of those GW Battle System Books. j/k :whistle:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
Thanks for all the responses!

Ya I agree with Warren Khan, the only way I can wrap my head around how they handled pricing especially for good vs evil was with the concept of good being outnumbered and often under-equipped. Yet its still odd that some of the supposedly elites like the elves still get wiped clean in melee for the most part. I know "movement" is critical and elves have 5 but we've tried playing "themed armies" like all Gondor or all Elves and the elves just got wiped by the uruks again and again.

It definitely would have been cool though if they had developed more scenarios specific for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough to realize any strategic nuances. I loved the movies, books, story line, and forum banter (on Sabertooth- & Snaggletooth- dot-Coms). It seems like a fantastically sound game with beautifully crafted miniatures with which to create a plethora of scenarios. When I was unable to connect with similarly minded gamers in my local area, I became a collector with intensions to someday come back to it and stage very large battles with "themed armies" and the 'tons' of 3D terrain that I built for other games. Now that I'm older and wiser, this is still on my bucket-list to accomplish before my wife sells it all for pennies on the many dollars I invested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.