Jason M

California
msg tools
Hi, first time poster here. My friend runs a hobby business and had a bunch of expensive games stolen from his temporary storage at home near Phoenix, AZ. We have information that leads us to believe the thieves are selling the games around Pearblossom CA (near Palm Springs) or around Phoenix.

We've tried to to get help from the police and private detectives, but we are also hoping for your help as well. We aren't sure what we are looking for... But if you have any recommendations or information, we would appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish you the best with this, but hope he had insurance.

Things like board game are hard to trace...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Maybe it was the same thief who burglarized Dan's car
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
pipistrellivampiro wrote:
leads us to believe the thieves are selling the games around Pearblossom CA (near Palm Springs) or around Phoenix.

1. I suggest you include locations in thread subject, especially given you posted this in a worldwide forum...

2. ... I'd suggest the regional forum(s) would get more eyes on your post than this worldwide forum

imho ymmv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish someone would steal my dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
2. ... I'd suggest the regional forum(s) would get more eyes on your post than this worldwide forum

imho ymmv

Not necessarily. Nobody would be so foolish* as to sell all 235 stolen copies of peculiar, niche games in a local market. They'll sell online, or to an out of state/country distributor, somewhere that won't arouse suspicion. You're right about including the location in the thread subject though.

Jason M, I would contact eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, Kijiji, and other online sales sites, at least give them notice that a seller might pop up with these particular games for sale. Maybe you'll get lucky. Still, I'll second the notion that I hope he had insurance.

* then again, people can be awfully stupid... especially many criminals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or worse case.

They stole a bunch of stuff and then realized they had taken boxes of board games and then...

Just junked the lot as wasted time.

Edit. I see you have evidence, but selling that many board games legally could be difficult yet illegally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. @Jason: Please post a list, if you can of the games that were stolen. A lot of people collect games (obsessively? nah... at least not me...) and if we see certain games popping up on ebay or elsewhere, especially rare ones, it's going to ring a bell.

2. @BGG community: I know it's almost religion not to thumb a new user's post, but can we make an exception in this case, y'all? I think getting more eyes on this would be consistent with what we're about here.

Finally, re: Dan's car, which was maybe my personal favorite moment of BGG, thanks for bringing back that happy memory, but there's a pretty big difference here: Jason's not asking for anything but a heads up if we see his buddy's stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
2. @BGG community: I know it's almost religion not to thumb a new user's post...

It must be awkward to know things that simply aren't true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
More eyes needed on this. Thumbed up!

Intrigue 1st edition is one of the items I'm looking for at the moment, and ending up with a stolen box is one of the not quite ideal scenarios running through my head when looking at all the skeevy ads.

I'm nowhere near the continent in question though, so unlikely. But keep the thread alive to help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a greater value to Dominion: Intrigue 1st edition? Is it because of the base cards included or collector value?
(Not trying to hi-jack the thread ... but then again more discussion may bring more views)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I just finished the first season of Ozark. There is no way they'll be able to clean all the money from all those Dominions!

. . .

I have a lot of notifications established on a few boards. I'll keep an eye open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When I saw the title I thought it was a joke ... because who has 35 copies each of Guild and Dominion?

Guilds, furthermore, is out of print as a solo item.

please post this in SW regional and mention the two cities in the title!
More people in your target area will it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, Pearblossom isn't near Palm Springs - it's in the southern Antelope Valley, east of Palmdale. It's approximately 75 miles from Los Angeles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
BC Indy wrote:
Is there a greater value to Dominion: Intrigue 1st edition? Is it because of the base cards included or collector value?

There are some changes. I think a few cards were replaced. Personally I just want it because I want it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, does the business have insurance or is there home owners insurance if they were stored at home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.