Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed in the player count it says "2", but community "1-2" players. So I assume people think it is easy to play solo.
If easily soloable I was thinking to get the game.
I'm a fan of 40k from way back and had an Eldar army.
I however no longer play, but this looks like it might scratch that itch for a non-miniature 40k board-game.

Are there any specific solo rules, or is it just playing both sides?

Thanks for any info

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play both sides.

In my opinion, this is definitely the weakest of the Wargame series that GW made.

You might be better off looking at Battle for Armageddon or Horus Heresy (1993).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

In my opinion, this is definitely the weakest of the Wargame series that GW made.

Wait! What?

My ranking:

Armageddon is the most straight forward of the three games. And, the most like a good ole military simulation. With no "hidden" counters, it would be the easiest to solo.

Doom of the Eldar is the most unique. It plays a little like a math exercise, but it's engaging and fun. It could be soloed fairly easily.

Horus Heresy is the most demanding. The lack of a front line, and the amount of hidden units is taxing for me. I'm not sure I've ever finished a game.

But, if I was an Eldar guy (and I thank my Maker daily that I am not), I could live with my shame, hidden away, playing Doom of the Eldar alone, unnoticed, forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, what's wrong with Eldar?! Space elves are awesome.

Thanks for the input from you both. I think I'll give this one a shot. Maybe I can come up with some proper solo rules for it.

The other games I may try, I found pnp files for Armageddon. That would be a fun PnP to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad this helps. I would add I would NOT pay a crazy amount for Doom of the Eldar (or the other two, either). Unless you are a very knowledgeable collector or speculator. They are classic, cute and fun. But, VERY dated. I've easily gone a decade between dusting them off and playing them. I mean like playing them BEFORE my teenage son was born, and not playing them again until AFTER he became a teen.

So, Party on Avatar!*

*That's Eldar humor for ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, don't plan on paying more than $30~ if I can help it.

Actally, I was thinking of just making a PnP of it. Looks like someone already made a nice board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldar is a fun game for a couple of plays. I didn't say it sucked, just that it's mostly a puzzle.

Once you figure out the puzzle, then it is almost always a win for the Eldar unless the random drops really screw you.

Armageddon can be replayed tons. It even has an expansion that makes it a mostly new game. The actual expansion can be hard to find, but its smaller precursor in WD is readily available. Or there is the pnp option.

Horus Heresy is more complex and has a much deeper strategy. You can also add on the WD mini game to make the end more intense and less random.

I will say that if you can possibly find them cheap, the actual physical games are well worth buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Eldar, it just hit me...Last week, Steam had a sale on the 1998 game Rites of War. $1.49. I used to play the game, so I bought it. It's a PC "turn-based strategy game based on the celebrated Panzer General 2." I've been playing for the last few days, including just now. Duh. Lot's of Eldar action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I used to have that game... oh yeah, I think I had gotten it and for some reason it wouldn't work on my PC. At least I remember being bummed out for some reason about that game....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took a little tweaking to get their version to work on Windows 10. They also had Final Liberation for a pittance. But it only listed Windows 8 as the latest compatible version. I'm too old to do "virtual operating systems," or whatever they are called. There is a limit to the lengths I'll go for nostalgia.

Now, back in my day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it when it has first come out, must have been on Windows 98.

I've tried to play a few of the old school pc DnD games using DOSbox, but
yeah, I'm with you on the limits I'll go for nostalgia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have my Win 95 and a 98 machine......

They work perfectly.

Then again I also still have a Commodore 64, 128, Amiga 2000, and Apple IIe.

It's sort of bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xxxxxx xxxxx
msg tools
Missing one Devastated Ares/Fortified counter
Missing one Devastated Ares/Fortified counter

Have you any I could have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.