Win, Don't Lose» Forums » Rules

Subject: New Rules for Bombs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Interested in this game and want to make my own copy. Multiple posts on these forums talk about the new rules for bombs, but none of them outline what the new rules are, and the rules doc doesn't seem to include them. What are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
Interested in this game and want to make my own copy. Multiple posts on these forums talk about the new rules for bombs, but none of them outline what the new rules are, and the rules doc doesn't seem to include them. What are they?

Hi there! Glad to know you're interested in WDL. I hope to make a GameCrafter edition available by November, if you're interested.

I believe the rule book that you can download on the Geek include the new rules. They are:

The second time a bomb is played in a game, it "primes" the first one. Turn it sideways to indicate it's primed. When a third bomb is played, the primed bomb detonates and is discarded, and the second bomb is primed, and so on. In other words, when a bomb is played, it detonates any already primed bombs in play, and primes any other non-primed bombs.

Minutia: If two bombs are played at the same time (I think this can happen with Grab Bag. That card has changed wording at least once), they prime each other. If three bombs are played at the same time, they all become primed and detonate.

The old rules were simply that if there were three bombs on the table at the same time, they all detonate, but in a three-player game, there only needs to be two bombs to cause them to detonate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you're feeling charitable, I'd love to hear about how you heard about WDL, and if you rate the game after playing it, I will Be Your Best Friend, even if you give it a poor rating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I'm afraid I don't recall where I heard of it. I downloaded a whole bunch of print-and-play files ages ago and this was one of them. Only really looked at it recently. It was probably from a list here on BGG.

I looked pretty thoroughly and I'm fairly sure all the rules in the Files section on this site list only the old bomb rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. I really need to update that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've played a few games of this now at the school in which I have worked and it has gone down well with the kids (although the adults have been more confused than anything). Got a few questions and suggestions, most of which I can't remember right now but will get back to you when I remember them.

First, a suggestion: for cards that require you to keep track of how many turns have elapsed, I added text to mine saying "(Each turn, take the next card from the deck and, without looking, put it under this card to keep track.)" so that people don't need to remember how many turns have elapsed.

Second, a question: If "I'm Smart" ("Keeper, 10 points, When this is played, draw a card.") is played by player A on player B (for example, because player B is the Tax Man), which player draws a card? Most Keepers seem pretty clear that the effects apply to the player they are in front of, but the ones with effects that apply when they are played seem unclear to me.

I will get back to you with any further questions or suggestions.

EDIT: Also, could you publish the text from the Popularity Contests module so I could try it out? It isn't in the cards file on here.

EDIT 2: Thought of further question. This one is about Opposite Day, and may be a little hard to follow. So, positive points become negative points and vice versa. But win also becomes lose and vice versa. So the points that used to be positive points still cause a player to win because of the double negation. But because the points are negative, that means that the player with the most (formerly-)positive points now becomes the Total Buffoon, and so cannot win, except that win becomes lose, so they cannot lose, so they still win, again because of the double negation. So keepers with points essentially operate exactly the same way on Opposite Day. Is that how it was all intended? Or should the Buffoon and Dictator also switch places on opposite day? And is there anything I've missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! Great to know the kids are enjoying the game.
Leonard_Daniels wrote:

First, a suggestion: for cards that require you to keep track of how many turns have elapsed, I added text to mine saying "(Each turn, take the next card from the deck and, without looking, put it under this card to keep track.)" so that people don't need to remember how many turns have elapsed.

You could do that, or use some other counter. I generally haven't found it necessary, but yeah, there can be a lot to keep track of. It is helpful if the person can say each turn how many turns they've had it. "This is the second turn I've started with Waiting for Your Tax Return"

Quote:
Second, a question: If "I'm Smart" ("Keeper, 10 points, When this is played, draw a card.") is played by player A on player B (for example, because player B is the Tax Man), which player draws a card? Most Keepers seem pretty clear that the effects apply to the player they are in front of, but the ones with effects that apply when they are played seem unclear to me.

Keepers are always "speaking" to the player they are played on, so "I'm Smart" lets the player it's played on draw the card. I've clarified that in the new rule book; I really need to get around to updating them on here in the full-page format.

Quote:
EDIT: Also, could you publish the text from the Popularity Contests module so I could try it out? It isn't in the cards file on here.

Oh man. Those haven't been in the game for a long time; I have no idea if they're any fun. They often just randomly did things, because you weren't sure what you were voting for. Have you been adding cards to the deck above and beyond what's in the file? That's great!

Quote:
EDIT 2: Thought of further question. This one is about Opposite Day, and may be a little hard to follow. So, positive points become negative points and vice versa. But win also becomes lose and vice versa.

Hang on. Opposite day changes the *text on cards* to change win to lose and vice-versa. It doesn't change the game rules that cause you to win or lose due to points, or not having any cards to play. There's no double-reversal. So if you've only got one keeper, A Cunning Plan That Cannot Fail (which goes up by 10 points at the start of each of your turns) worth 20 points, then someone plays Opposite Day, you now have -20 points. Then at the start of your next turn it would normally gain 10 points, but because of opposite day, those points are negative, so it's worth -30 points and you *lose* for having -25 or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Leonard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I thought that would be how I'm Smart would work, but thought it worth checking. I understand Opposite Day now. Thank you for the clarifications.

I haven't added any of my own cards to the deck yet, but I plan to. I had long been planning to create a custom Black Jack deck (the version of Crazy Eights, not 21) so that I could add my own custom power cards. Keepers were something I was planning on implementing for that, which makes it a similar game to what you have here, so I reckon a lot of my ideas for that will be transferable. I just need to get together enough to be worth doing another print run. At that point I'll share my ideas here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leonard_Daniels wrote:
I thought that would be how I'm Smart would work, but thought it worth checking. I understand Opposite Day now. Thank you for the clarifications.

You're welcome.

Quote:
I had long been planning to create a custom Black Jack deck (the version of Crazy Eights, not 21) so that I could add my own custom power cards.

That sounds like a new game I heard about, Blank.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/231824/blank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.