Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about token-gathering effects - multiple or single activation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
Hey people! I just bought the game and played it for the first time yesterday. In our first playthrough, a question came up to which we could not really find an answer based on the wording of the cards.

There are some effects that give you resource tokens for playing certain tags. For the sake of this example, let's look at card #074, Viral Enhancers. The effect text states:

Quote:
When you play a plant, microbe, or an animal tag, including this, gain 1 plant or add 1 resource TO THAT CARD.

This is pretty straightforward if you play a card that only has a single tag that is plant, microbe or animal. But what happens in the case where you play, for example, card #135, Advanced Ecosystems, which has all 3 of these tags? Would you gain the benefit of Viral Enhancers once, for playing a card that contains one of the three, or would the effect activate thrice, because the card you played has all 3 tags?

I looked at the rulebook too, but could not find any satisfactory explanation, unless, of course, I missed something. Any help with justification would be very much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect activates for every tag played, so thrice with advanced ecosystems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would get 3 plants as Viral Enhancers triggers off each tag.

Also note that it generates one from its own tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
CBpegasus wrote:
The effect activates for every tag played, so thrice with advanced ecosystems.

SonnyDK wrote:
You would get 3 plants as Viral Enhancers triggers off each tag.

Also note that it generates one from its own tag.

Is there a specific rule that dictates this? Or is it your own understanding of the wording? The wording seems a tad ambiguous. What you said would definitely be the case if the wording was: "For each animal, plant, or microbe tag that you play..."

I am kinda overanalyzing, I know. What you propose sounds the most reasonable solution to me too. I just want to make sure I have the rule right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omnievul wrote:
Is there a specific rule that dictates this?

Yes, the card itself. "When you play a plant, microbe, or an animal tag..."

It doesn't say "When you play a card with a plant, microbe, or an animal tag..." so you shouldn't interpret as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny A.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, wording on Ecological Zone (#128) gives it away too

Effect: When you play an animal or plant tag (including these 2), add an animal to this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mandilas
Greece
flag msg tools
austicke wrote:
Omnievul wrote:
Is there a specific rule that dictates this?

Yes, the card itself. "When you play a plant, microbe, or an animal tag..."

It doesn't say "When you play a card with a plant, microbe, or an animal tag..." so you shouldn't interpret as such.

SonnyDK wrote:
Also, wording on Ecological Zone (#128) gives it away too

Effect: When you play an animal or plant tag (including these 2), add an animal to this card.

Alright, these two explanations seem very reasonable. Thanks a lot for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additionally, these rules makes it to be each individual tag:

Rules, Page 9 wrote:
2) Paying and performing immediate effects.
First you must pay the card’s cost.
Then the lower panel of the card shows you any
immediate effects. These effects (and other effects triggered
by the card you just played) are performed in any order you
choose

So you can perform the trigger on one tag, then gain a production if that's on the card, and thereafter trigger on the second tag

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact question came up for me too on my first play of the game a couple of days ago. I couldn't find anything at the time and I ended up reading through about five threads to find the answer when I researched it later. I ended up reading that actions, which can only trigger once per generation, are denoted by a red arrow (and the word "Action:" in the text). Effects, denoted by the text "Effect:", have no limit on the number of times they can trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.