Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking to buy the starter pack. I've read the reviews which highlights that each team plays differently and has its own strengths and weaknesses.

But they also concede that playing and winning with the humans is tougher than with the orcs.

So if I were to pick up another team at the same time (to save on shipping costs) which one would you recommend for a more even pairing against the humans (or the orcs).

Or would I be best getting a couple of big guys.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get Skaven over Dwarves because Dwarves have a somewhat similar play style to Orcs (move slowly and his as many people as you can).
Skaven are very fast, quite agile and very squishy, which makes for a nice change of pace from Orcs and Humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Skaven and an Ogre would be the best buys. Goblins as presented are not really a playable team and the Orcs do not really need a troll. Humans want an Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts are already posted here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26561615#26561615

You'd probably be interested in the other posts on that thread as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Lystrup
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaven. They will definitely give the orcs a challenge, if played properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Skavens. If played right, their speed is a real advantage in a lot of situations.

I'd also recommend the Ogre for the Human team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
If there were any elves then I would have recommended them, but since there are no current GW elf teams (and I'm assuming you are after one of the new GW teams) then Skaven makes most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
If there were any elves then I would have recommended them, but since there are no current GW elf teams (and I'm assuming you are after one of the new GW teams) then Skaven makes most sense.

Although Elven Union is the next GW plastic team to come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So would an ogre on the human side even out against the orcs.

And would the Skaven need a troll.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're new, it's worth mentioning that teams in Blood Bowl have a leveling mechanism called Team Value.

Any team purchases players and other game-play perks with coins, and any two teams with the same Team Value should be an equal match. (In practice, some teams just have each other's number and just have the upper hand--for example, Dwarves tend to do better against Amazons. There are also some teams that are just worse: Goblins, Ogres, and Halflings, in particular.)

The starter box has two teams of twelve players, Orcs and Humans. If you put those twelve players on the field against each other, the Orcs will have a TV advantage, so the "starter" rosters in the base game give humans an extra re-roll to even things out, which really does make the teams a good match. Newer coaches may find the straightforward bashiness of Orcs easier to learn, but the Orcs-vs-humans match is pretty even. The twelve Skaven in a starter box would start out at a disadvantage, even with three re-rolls.

Once you move beyond the basic box, you'll usually be building your own teams using the Team Value/Gold Coin method, which means that there are a lot more possibilities for any team, and configuring players becomes way more personalized for any coach's team.

So, there's a way to balance any two teams, including the ones in the box, to be suitable for play against one another, by adding in re-rolls or other perks which you'll find out about.

nheather wrote:
So would an ogre on the human side even out against the orcs.

And would the Skaven need a troll.

A very short answer just to the above question is, "Adding an Ogre, who is worth more than two Orc linemen, would overbalance things in favor of the Humans." On the other hand, the TV of Skaven out of the box is lower, and the Skaven will be underpowered if you just put the twelve players in the box on the field against the boxed set Orcs (unless you even things up some other way, which wouldn't be ideal). Adding in a Rat Ogre (Skaven can't have Trolls) and removing a lineman might make for a better starting squad.

Hope this isn't confusing... It makes a lot more sense once you've played a few times and set up a team of your own.

EDIT: Fixed bad math for Skaven TV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.