13 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule clarification - ambulance movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Parry
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all - I am new to BGG and just started playing Flash Point.

I found the rule book is a bit vague on how the ambulance is moved. It says you must be in the fire engine to move the engine but you can move the ambulance "by radio" without a firefighter in it.

Here's my question: does this mean you need to be in the fire engine in order to move the ambulance? Or can I move the ambulance "by radio" without anyone in either vehicle?

Also, can a firefighter drive the ambulance? I know they can move with the ambulance, but can that firefighter, with no one in the fire engine, drive the ambulance to the next parking space?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

You can move the ambulance from wherever you are, no need for anyone to be in any of the vehicles, but you CAN be in a vehicle and still move the ambulance. Your second question should then be moot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cameron
United States
Martinez
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

You can move the ambulance without being in either vehicle.

You can also be in the ambulance while it is being moved by either yourself or another player.

Enjoy the game!

Edit: ninja'ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I find it helpful to think about it is that there's no state of "being in the ambulance" or "being in the fire engine". Rather:

- if you are in either fire engine space on your turn, you can spend 2AP to move the engine (and must go with it).
- wherever you are, you can spend 2AP on your turn to move the ambulance.
- if the engine or ambulance moves when you are in either space it's moving out of (on your turn or otherwise), you can choose to go with it; you arrive in one of the two spaces in which the vehicle arrives, your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Different brains.

Quite the opposite, I find it helpful to say you are riding the vehicles. The ambulance just comes with its own built-in EMT driver. The fire engine can only be driven by one of the firefighters. As for the radio bit, all the firefighters are communicating by radio. That's how they coordinate actions across the building! Whatever helps it make sense.

Mmm.... Different brainssss... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Parry
Canada
flag msg tools
This is all excellent information. Thanks everyone for your help! Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Here's a question about ambulance movement:

Let's say you drag someone out of the building onto a non-ambulance spot.

If the ambulance drives by/"over" them, does it pick them up? Or do you still have to drag them to a parked ambulance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:
If the ambulance drives by/"over" them, does it pick them up?

If it stops in that space, yes. Since moving the ambulance to the next parking spot is one action, it always stops, though there are special situations in one or the other expansion where you have to say explicitly where it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
PunTheHun wrote:
drneau wrote:

If it stops in that space, yes. Since moving the ambulance to the next parking spot is one action, it always stops, though there are special situations in one or the other expansion where you have to say explicitly where it goes.

I specifically asked about dragging them to a non-ambulance spot. So assume you dragged them out of the building through a compromised wall...now they are sitting on the sidewalk and *not* on a ambulance parking spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:
PunTheHun wrote:
drneau wrote:

I specifically asked about dragging them to a non-ambulance spot. So assume you dragged them out of the building through a compromised wall...now they are sitting on the sidewalk and *not* on a ambulance parking spot.

The ambulance never stops on non-ambulance spots, so they would not be safe yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thamos von Nostria wrote:
drneau wrote:

The ambulance never stops on non-ambulance spots, so they would not be safe yet.

Agreed. Victims may only be rescued (loaded onto the ambulance) in the specified ambulance spaces. There is nothing in the rules to allow for picking up "along the way".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:
Here's a question about ambulance movement:

Let's say you drag someone out of the building onto a non-ambulance spot.

If the ambulance drives by/"over" them, does it pick them up? Or do you still have to drag them to a parked ambulance?

Houserule: The ambulance drives over the victim in all the smoke and stress. The victim dies and counts against you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Harzer
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
"That German Bloke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Welcome to the Geek!

You can move the ambulance from wherever you are, no need for anyone to be in any of the vehicles, ...

With the new expansion Flash Point: Fire Rescue – Tragic Events, there is an Event Card which scrambles the radio communications - that is a new exception to the above rule and you would have to be on/in the ambulance to move it around the building...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.