Subject: New to WiF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Gabrielli
Italy
Ascoli
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi i saw the KS of WiF and i was very interested about this game, but i have some doubts.

1st How much is accessible this game to a gamer who has only played Combat Commander?

2nd Is this game enjoyable in solo?

3rd How long is a quick game?

4th Is easy to teach to other people?

5th Does it take much room to storage all the goodies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WiF can become an all-consuming passion. It's physically a fairly big game. I use three folding 6x3 tables when I play it. I'm a senior gamer whose face to face partners have either moved away or (sadly) passed away, so I just do it solo and find it lots of fun.But truly, its at its best in a competitive forum.

I possess all of the modules and find that I can store all of the sorted components handily in a Rubbermaid storage bin.

I hope this is helpful but the real Wizard of WiF is Wendell who I am sure can answer your questions in better detail than I.

Cheers and trust me, once it gets into your system it's incurable.

GJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So you're saying this is one of those "way of life" games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of a jump up from Combat Commander in complexity. Not so much because any particular rule is THAT complex - but there are a lot of them. A lot of the most complicated bits are about political stuff like France becoming Vichy France, or US entry.

BUT - if you are interested in the topic there's no reason you can't learn it. I have a friend who's very FIRST wargame was World in Flames.

It's VERY good for solitaire play. The only significant piece of hidden information is US entry and border pacts, but even then usually opponents will have a good sense of what the status is based on what (for example) the US is doing.

Quick game? WIF's not quick. There are three shorter scenarios in the upcoming kickstarter Collector's Edition. It's been ages since I played one of them, but they're probably 6-8 hours? Other scenarios and campaigns are much longer.

Teachability? Depends on who you're teaching! Seriously, like most things if somebody's interested and makes the effort, no reason they can't learn it.

I use Plano tackle boxes to store WIF but no reason you can't use ziploc bags, though you'll probably want a lot. When playing, little paper cups (Dixie cups, like the ones you use to rinse when brushing your teeth) work really well for sorting out the different units for each power. Being organized is important! (Seriously, it helps in WIF.)

Oh and the KS will ship within the EU without extra duties since it's being shipped from Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grinnell1969 wrote:
So you're saying this is one of those "way of life" games?

For some people it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I use Plano tackle boxes to store WIF but no reason you can't use ziploc bags, though you'll probably want a lot. When playing, little paper cups (Dixie cups, like the ones you use to rinse when brushing your teeth) work really well for sorting out the different units for each power. Being organized is important! (Seriously, it helps in WIF.)

I have about a dozen ice cube trays to organize the counters. Easy during play but they don't store particularly well. Of course, when you play the game all the time, not a problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i go to the craft store where my wife buys plastic containers to store buttons and other notions . these work well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark palius
msg tools
can't say

yes

1 day. That said, short scenarios lack strategic choices which are part & parcel of strategic games.

yes, if they're motivated to learn; no, if they're uninterested.

intergame or intragame storage? Also, which flavor of game e.g. classic or delux, ww/o modules etc. Packed for storage WiF fits into a large tupper/cardboard box, duffle bag, suitcase, etc. It has thousands of counters which players will want sorted into sets of ~1-~100 units. Get lots of trays or boxes with many small subdivisions. Campaign games take 100+ hours. More for solitaire. Full blown WiF needs ~22 ft of table for maps & charts. For intra game storage between game sessions use maps mounted on boards, stack boards using spacers (c.1" wooden cubes work well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that's the worst part about WIF, sorting the counters back into the appropriate containers AFTER the game. It's worth it tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chandler
Arizona (AZ)
flag msg tools
Gott Mit Uns!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess that means they'll be no mention of Nazi's, Hitler, Swastika's in a World War 2 game. German Censorship, a real anomaly in a democracy that strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicky_longbranch wrote:
Guess that means they'll be no mention of Nazi's, Hitler, Swastika's in a World War 2 game. German Censorship, a real anomaly in a democracy that strong.

Take it to RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.