tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Markocarko wrote:
Is there luck ?

Depends how you define luck. There are no dice, no cards, etc., so there's no randomness. But sometimes other people target you and there's not much you can do...so some people would call that bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maki ilja
msg tools
I ment dice and stuff or cards is it a fun 2 player game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markocarko wrote:

There is zero luck, unless you consider getting saddled with Italy, in which case that is bad luck.

It is not a fun game for two players. At all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Markocarko wrote:
I ment dice and stuff or cards

Yep, none of that, and all units are equal strength, with a fixed starting position.

Markocarko wrote:
is it a fun 2 player game ?

Some people have made 2P variants, but no, if you're looking for a good 2P game I suggest looking elsewhere. No negotiation game really works for 2 players, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 player variants but they are purely tactical. You really want to play Diplomacy with the full 7 player count to experience the gameplay of negotiation and backstabbing. And no, there are no dice or cards, only units with non-random rules for movement, attack and support.

ninja by two other members, I'm not as fast as I never used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't find a full compliment of 7 local players, consider joining an online game. Diplomacy is a fantastic experience. Some people don't enjoy it because the game can get a bit nasty, but everyone should try playing at least once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Markocarko wrote:
... is it a fun 2 player game ?

Not at all. No real way to easily maintain a "never-speak-to-you-again" grudge against that one other player for the next 37 years after a bitter betrayal in a high school game of Diplomacy. Yes, J______, I still hate you, you back-stabbing jerk.

oneiric wrote:
... the game can get a bit nasty ...

That's like saying Hurricane Irma's winds are a bit breezy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Markocarko wrote:

No dice or cards or other randomness but it's not recommended for 2 players. The more players in this one the better IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
No randomness per se, but there can be a ton of tactical guessing. Which feels like a kind of luck to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
No randomized elements; however, consider an elementary matrix game. You and your opponent each secretly select "Heads" or "Tails". Your choice is revealed. If you match, you win; if you don't, your opponent wins. There is no luck here, but your optimal strategy is to flip a coin secretly (because if you do otherwise, your opponent can win more than 50% of the time). Diplomacy is full of matrix games like this; they are more elaborate, and negotiation is the real basis on which they are resolved.

Whether you call this 'luck' or not is up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
visit Uhlan Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the game's description right here on the geek:

There are no dice rolls or other elements of chance.

When all else fails; read the instructions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I think we may have given the OP the necessary information he was after but I'd like to characterize the game a little differently than has been done above. Yes, there is "guessing" about what your opponent is going to do, but there's a lot more going on than just trying to outguess. You can have a lot to do with establishing a particular mindset in your opponents through your own negotiations and propaganda and have a pretty good idea what they may be worried about and therefore what sort of action may be taken--significantly reducing the odds! Every player in the game is a useful tool in your box, if you'll pardon the characterization.
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
But particularly in a two player game (which the OP asked about), or gunboat style multiplayer game, its guessing. Knowing something about your opponent in those cases merely leads to a slightly more informed guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Agreed. That does describe a 2 player game.
I would also concur with those who say it's a pointless endeavour. You might as well play Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.