Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game. I need to play it more to determine if I like it or love it. Either way I think it's an excellent design game.

My one con, and it's total taste, is that I do not like WP games where there is a very limited number of turns. Usually it's because I like building my engine, and I don't like only getting to "run" it a few times.

So, name another game that has a similar engine mechanic to this game. Build up an engine, and then go to a spot on the board to run it.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Manhattan Project: Energy Empire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, the two games that Lorenzo is most often compared to are Grand Austria Hotel and The Voyages of Marco Polo. All three games share the same co-designer, all three are WP titles that use dice in an innovative way, and all three allow you to create an engine. The other thing they have in common is that they're all excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:

Just turned down a chance to pick that up for $32 on CSI. I heard it wasn't as magnificent with only 2P. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll still keep it on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Justin, the two games that Lorenzo is most often compared to Grand Austria Hotel and The Voyages of Marco Polo. All three games share the same co-designer, all three are WP titles that use dice in an innovative way, and all three allow you to create an engine. The other thing they have in common is that they're all excellent.

Decided to pass on GAH when I picked up Lorenzo instead. I just got VoMP last week. Can't wait to play it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The play in Emperor's Choice reminded me a lot of Lorenzo. It does not have the engine-building aspect, however. Both have a currying favor track and there are several decisions to be made that can be thwarted depending on the choices of another player.

See what you think.

ldp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
wavedog98 wrote:

Just turned down a chance to pick that up for $32 on CSI. I heard it wasn't as magnificent with only 2P. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll still keep it on my wishlist.

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed it 2p with my wife. This game has the classic dynamic of being more strategic w/ 2 and more tactical with more players due to the blocking that can occur with more players. With 2, the board is a little more open, but bringing plans to fruition is also more likely. So it depends on what you are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:
wavedog98 wrote:

For what it's worth, I've enjoyed it 2p with my wife. This game has the classic dynamic of being more strategic w/ 2 and more tactical with more players due to the blocking that can occur with more players. With 2, the board is a little more open, but bringing plans to fruition is also more likely. So it depends on what you are looking for.

I like open games if it means lots of options, but I do enjoy being able to block positions in a WP game. That's why I turned down MPEE for now, because it's not as viable to block in 2P. Looks like an excellent game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Grand Austria, but I do not think it's an engine building game. I know that you build up more player powers as you put out employees, but that's not enough of a big thing in the game for me to put it under the 'engine building' banner. Race For The Galaxy is engine building, Mage Knight, etc, all games where you start powerless and build your way up to crazy combo heaven. That said, Grand Austria is one of the best games I've ever played at 2 and 3 players. (4 just isn't for me) (grand austria can have engine building, depending on the employess you play, if there's a lot of comboing, but that may not always be an option)

Marco Polo is more engine building to some extent, as getting to spots that can get you extra spots to place, extra income each round, etc, does feel a bit more engine buildy. But again, not enough for me to think of it as primarily being within that genre, but I've only played it twice, so maybe I'm wrong.

They also did Tzolkin, which I would also not consider engine building, but it's been a long time since I played and I could be wrong.

I think they are some of the best designers in the business. Lorenzo Il Magnifico is definitely engine building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just acquired Voyages of MP and Tzolkin. They are in my queue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:

So, name another game that has a similar engine mechanic to this game. Build up an engine, and then go to a spot on the board to run it.

London.
Not a WP, but you build an engine, then you run it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
JustinRRizzo wrote:

London.
Not a WP, but you build an engine, then you run it.

I thought I saw them working on reprint of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Lorenzo feels a bit like Troyes? How would you compare both games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think they feel the same.

They both use dice for action selection, and both have negative game elements which you must work against (in Troyes it is the event cards, in Lorenzo it's the necessity to contribute to the church/faith track).

Other than those two elements, I believe they are quite different. Troyes allows you to buy other people's dice on your turn, which can be a bit nasty and take-that (which I like). It also has a little touch of worker placement - you must pay to place your meeples on cards which can then activate them. Lorenzo is more of a "build your engine" game, with synergies. It is currently at the top of my queue for a replay, as I want to try it with the leaders. The one game we played was only with two players, and the scoring difference at the end was far too large for my comfort. I felt like you HAD to be able to produce to win, but I've heard otherwise. Lorenzo also feels VERY restrictive.

I like both games, but if I had to pick one after only having played each once I would probably pick Troyes, simply because buying other players dice is absolutely hilarious and infuriating. That recommendation may very well change with more plays of each and and with the upcoming expansion for Lorenzo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.