7 Posts

March of the Ants» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification for "March to Battle" in solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msn
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think "March to Battle" rule in solo is a bit ambiguous about the hex where you can initiate a battle.

I can conceive three ways to choose the hex where I initiate a battle.

(1)You can simply choose any contested hex.
(2)You can choose only the hexes which your ants(or larvae) marched to in the previous March action.
(3)You can choose only the last hex which your ant(or larvae) marched to in the previous March action.

The wording of "March to Battle" seems to be intended that the battle occurs in the hex which your ants marched to. So I think (1) is wrong.

(2) has the similar problem that conflicts with this wording.
example:Three hexes in the meadow.
("X" with an ant and a centipede, "Y" with no ant, and the Great Tunnel)
You have two larvae. As a March action, You place two larvae on "X" and move the two to "Y".
If (2) is correct, you can initiate a battle in "X". But considering the wording of "March to Battle", it seems weird that the battle occurs in the hex without ants used in the previous March action.
("X" has an ant, but the ant didn't march in the previous March action)

In addition to that, you have to memorize the routes of marching in order to decide where to battle. This is a bit troublesome.

From the reasons above, I think (3) is the best and straightforward way to play Solo. Please tell me your ideas.
------------------------------------------------
Edit:Answered by the designer
timeisner1 wrote:
As one of the designers I will say that 1) is the correct interpretation of the rules as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the solo rule is intended to help the player combat the spread of the centipedes. The "contested" check is made after you've finished your march, so if you've sent ants into an occupied hex it becomes "contested" and you can initiate battle before the Soldier phase.

I don't believe there are any restrictions for how many battles you can initiate, since it would be rather difficult to pull off a March action into multiple hexes with sufficient army strength to win several fights in a row.

Also, whenever you initiate a battle, it counts *all* of your ants that are in the contested hex, regardless of when they arrived there. If you march ants into an already contested hex, you would count both the pre-existing ants and any new ants moved to the hex when calculating army strength (along with any head evolutions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msn
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, you think (1) is correct?
Wayfarer82 wrote:
I don't believe there are any restrictions for how many battles you can initiate
But the rulebook says "After taking a March action a player may initiate a battle in one hex".

If the designer had intended there's no restrictions for how many battles you can initiate, he wouldn't have used such a wording.
So I think player can initiate a battle only once after each March action.

And what I wanted to say in this post is that it seems thematically weird the battle occurs in the hex without the "Marching Ant" as a result of "March to Battle".

"Marching Ant" means the ant(or larva) used in the previous March action.
Sorry for my clumsy English. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a problem! I didn't have the rulebook in front of me when I replied, and I think you're on the right track regarding the "one battle per March action" restriction. Absolutely my mistake on that one.

I'm confused by your statement that the "battle occurs in the hex without the Marching "Ant"", since there's nothing in the rules to prevent that from occurring.

1: You could march an ant (or ants) into an enemy-held hex, thus making it contested and initiating your March battle.

2: If a hex has become contested due to a sudden outbreak of centipedes, you can March additional ants in and *then* initiate the battle with greater numbers.

In either scenario, the Marching ant(s) could take part in a battle. Theoretically, you could initiate a battle in a different contested hex, but that seems like it could a needlessly risky move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msn
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wayfarer82 wrote:
I'm confused by your statement that the "battle occurs in the hex without the Marching "Ant"", since there's nothing in the rules to prevent that from occurring.
You're right. As you're saying, there's nothing prohibiting that from occurring in the rulebook.
So the interpretation as the rulebook's words shows (1) is the answer for my question.
I just felt it might be against what the designer originally intended because of the naming of "March to Battle".
But of course this is no more than my personal speculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Eisner
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Y'all and sorry for the confusion.

As one of the designers I will say that 1) is the correct interpretation of the rules as written. That said I do agree that thematically it makes much more sense for the March to Battle if the battle happens where you marched.

In writing the rules we decided to err on the side of simplicity and just say you can initiate one battle after Marching, as generally if you are starting a battle you will most likely march at least one ant into that hex.

Understandably the simplistic version of not specifying also causes some misunderstandings. Thanks for playing and for digging into these questions.
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msn
msg tools
mbmbmb
timeisner1 wrote:
As one of the designers I will say that 1) is the correct interpretation of the rules as written.
Thank you for answering my question.
This question might be a bit too minor, but In Solo play "March to Battle" is important tactics, so maybe there will be those who have the same question.
I hope these posts will be useful for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.