Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can Leaders used in mission activate systems? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if my question has been already discussed, but i am new on this great game...and i would like to well understand the rules.

If i use a leader for a mission in a system, can i use that leader for activating that system in a later turn of the same Command Phase?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Re: Leader used in mission can Activate?
No. In order to activate a system you must send a leader from your leader pool. Leaders already in the system for any other reason can not activate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you...but from "Rule Reference" i read that (pag.02):

A system that already contains a leader can be activated.
However, a player cannot move his units out of a system
that contains one of his faction’s leaders.

...so, i have imaged that that leader (already in a system) has been previously used to perform a mission in that system...where am i wrong?...how can be a leader already in a system (during the Command Phase) without having been used in a Mission in that system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1 of Activating systems is "Place Leader: The player takes a leader from his leader pool and places it in any system."

The bullet you mention simply indicates that you can in fact activate a system with a leader already in it, but you'd still have to place a leader from your pool there (following step 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...so in a turn of Command Phase, i can take from pool and place a leader in a systema without the need to activate that systema in that turn but with the possibility to activate in a later turn, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:
Thank you...but from "Rule Reference" i read that (pag.02):

A system that already contains a leader can be activated.
However, a player cannot move his units out of a system
that contains one of his faction’s leaders.

...so, i have imaged that that leader (already in a system) has been previously used to perform a mission in that system...where am i wrong?...how can be a leader already in a system (during the Command Phase) without having been used in a Mission in that system?

The leader could have moved there to oppose a mission by the other player, or in response to them activating the system and moving forces in. There are several things you can do to mess with your opponent's ability to place leaders or move units, and that's all part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:
ok...so in a turn of Command Phase, i can take from pool and place a leader in a systema without the need to activate that systema in that turn but with the possibility to activate in a later turn, correct?

Nope, the leader activates the system when he's placed. You do what you need to do (mission or movement), then that leader is essentially done for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:

Not sure what you mean. You can activate the system without moving any units. It's not a common move, but sometimes you do it to add dice to an upcoming mission. You can activate a system and move units in even if there are lots of leaders and/or units already there. But you can't move a leader in and then say you are using them to activate the system later. Is that what you meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
falagar wrote:

no.

I think you might be under the impression that leaders don't stay in the systems where their missions are. This isn't true. Leaders stay in the system they are sent to until the end of the round. after assigning leaders to missions you take turns going on missions (which puts leaders into systems) and activating systems. So it's highly possible and likely you could activate a system that has a leader leftover from an earlier activation or mission that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank all of you...i have been discovering the various tactical options of this great game, day after day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
falagar wrote:
You can activate the system in a later turn, but you still need to send another leader from your leader pool in order to activate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poshniallo wrote:
falagar wrote:

Not sure what you mean. You can activate the system without moving any units. It's not a common move, but sometimes you do it to add dice to an upcoming mission. You can activate a system and move units in even if there are lots of leaders and/or units already there. But you can't move a leader in and then say you are using them to activate the system later. Is that what you meant?

Yes...i misunderstood...now i see that when, in a turn, you put a leader in a System you have to perform(oppose) a Mission or activate that system in that turn and not later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...i think to have been misled by the sentence:

A system that already contains a leader can be activated. (from "Rule Reference" pag.02)

It should mean that even if a system already contains a leader, i can activate that system by sending it another leader (and not using the already present leader)...is it correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
falagar wrote:
ok...i think to have been misled by the sentence:

A system that already contains a leader can be activated. (from "Rule Reference" pag.02)

It should mean that even if a system already contains a leader, i can activate that system by sending it another leader...is it correct?
Correct! That wording is indeed a little confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.
So to summarize, when it's your turn, you can do one of 3 things:
- Move troops by activating a system. This means you activate the system to which you want troops to go. (Troops cannot leave a system where another of your leaders is already present. But they can go to a system where another of your leaders is already present.)
- Execute a mission (or try to), by placing a leader from the face-down mission card into the corresponding allowed space by the mission (revealing it, etc);
- Pass (forfeiting any use of your leaders for the 2 previous actions, but you'd still be allowed to opposed missions/combat with any leader remaining in your pool).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.