Subject: Thread locking in a community forum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Does anyone else find it beyond annoying and pretty problematic when an admin comes into a community-specific forum that's dedicated to LGBT gamers and the troubles we have to deal with and then locks a thread where we're discussing that very thing? The whole point of creating the Rainbow BGGers was because the admins acceded to the request of all the "anti-SJW"s that we silo off our own concerns into a forum that is hard to find and barely discoverable. Sure, there was some sniping from the other thread that was linked to it, but rather than just delete the posts of the people coming in on not good faith, the whole thread was shuttered. I'm glad that the admins have decided to show how dedicated they are to supporting misogyny every single time it comes up. I wish that the community forum itself could have its own moderators so we don't have to deal with admin fiat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, absolutely. It's pretty ridiculous how all such discussions get shut down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thread locking in a
Right. And the mod "many side"-ing the whole thing adds insult to injury. Well done again, bgg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do, and I sent Octavian a message about this (before I even read this thread). Whether the timing was accidental or intended, when you lock two threads due to "brigading" just when the same "brigade" got in the last word (4 posts from the same "side") in both threads, it leaves a distinct impression of wanting to silence one group only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any queer mods?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Complaints Dept

Quote:
Sure, there was some sniping from the other thread that was linked to it, but rather than just delete the posts of the people coming in on not good faith, the whole thread was shuttered.

As a general rule forum moderators do not delete posts, even when they violate site rules. The authors of such posts that violate site rules will be contacted privately by a moderator and are asked to delete the posts themselves, but that is ultimately the decision of the author.

Quote:
Right. And the mod "many side"-ing the whole thing adds insult to injury. Well done again, bgg.

Both threads linked to the other and lead directly to people crossing over and interjecting. Had this been a one-way thing then I would not have locked both threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Oh that's good, they moved this thread to a completely different forum even when it was specifically addressing what happened in Rainbow BGG. Good job, you shitty shitty shitty admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I do, and I sent Octavian a message about this (before I even read this thread). Whether the timing was accidental or intended, when you lock two threads due to "brigading" just when the same "brigade" got in the last word (4 posts from the same "side") in both threads, it leaves a distinct impression of wanting to silence one group only.

Copying my reply to your geekmail:

I would like to trust that most people wouldn't read into it like that, but I also agree that it would be ideal to avoid the possibility of misreading it entirely if possible. I am not sure how that could be accomplished, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Could you not? Could you really not move the posts to forums where it's not going to be seen (even when it was specifically about the behavior that happened in our own community forum, so it's not like it's against the topic if the forum)? We don't even get to have a say in how our own community that you forced us into is run. You're treating us like children.

Further, "Complaint Department" diminishes people's concerns right off the get-go with what reads to me as a sarcastic title for a subforum. The connotation of "complaint department" is that the complaints are usually invalid and just troublesome to the larger people in charge. Complaint puts the onus on the one who finds trouble with something rather than some other sort of neutral terminology that doesn't put blame or fault on anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
natureslayer wrote:
The whole point of creating the Rainbow BGGers was because the admins acceded to the request of all the "anti-SJW"s that we silo off our own concerns into a forum that is hard to find and barely discoverable.

Also...what? That was not the point at all. Is that a commonly held view among other members of the Rainbow BGGers community?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
marble911 wrote:

Copying my reply to your geekmail:

I would like to trust that most people wouldn't read into it like that, but I also agree that it would be ideal to avoid the possibility of misreading it entirely if possible. I am not sure how that could be accomplished, however.
I was quite annoyed by how it was handled, but this particular aspect doesn't really bother me personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
natureslayer wrote:
We don't even get to have a say in how our own community that you forced us into is run.

The Community forums, including Rainbow BGGers, are BGG forums and are run by BGG. That said, no one is forced into using them. It's an option some people will enjoy using and others won't. Do what best fits your needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Octavian wrote:
Moved to Complaints Dept

Fuck off, you piece of shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:
The whole point of creating the Rainbow BGGers was because the admins acceded to the request of all the "anti-SJW"s that we silo off our own concerns into a forum that is hard to find and barely discoverable.
Also...what? That was not the point at all. Is that a commonly held view among other members of the Rainbow BGGers community?
That's not my view. The main complaint I have about how it was created is how long it took.

When there was only a guild, there was a severe issue with being discoverable. It is still less discoverable than the "Women and Gaming" forum (since it's in "Community", so you have to scroll further down the main page), but I understand the grandfathering reasons for that.

I do think this thread ought to be left in the Rainbow BGGers forum, since it was intended to provoke discussion among the members of that forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:

Yes. That was the whole point of creating that community in the first place. That we don't have to have those discussions all over again, every single time. There's a reason I started the thread there, as opposed to the cthulhu wars thread itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that all community forums are held to the same standards which includes forum moderation based on violation of rules. No one forum is treated any differently than another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:

I don't hold that view.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:

I seem to recall from when the forum was created that many people were asking for a place of their own where they could avoid all the people who'd jump in and crap all over these discussions. The idea being that those people would have no reason to be in the Rainbow forum and wouldn't pounce on these discussions when they showed up in the general forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:

Rainbow BGG was created because the lack of anti-homophobic and -misogynistic moderation in the general forums as well as the removal of many LGBT topics resulted in BGG users not feeling safe to discuss their troubles with homophobia. By not dealing with the "anti-SJWs" antagonism in a direct way and forcing the creation of a subforum where these issues can be discussed, you directly acceded to these views. Not having a full-throated defense results in a perpetuation of the status quo which unfortunately right now is rife with misogyny and homophobia. You're directly contributing to it by diminishing our concerns and reducing the visibility of minority voices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Reducing the trust deficit between the BGG admins and this community would be a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
My understanding is that all community forums are held to the same standards which includes forum moderation based on violation of rules. No one forum is treated any differently than another.

I *believe* guilds are moderated differently, usually by the poster who creates it (unless things get really out of hand). So perhaps that would be a better avenue? To create a Guild?
I think the solution is to have better site moderation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
So perhaps that would be a better avenue? To create a Guild?

We have one of those, too.

#GeekOUT - A Guild for LGBTQ+ Gamers (and our Allies)

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
Octavian wrote:
natureslayer wrote:
We don't even get to have a say in how our own community that you forced us into is run.

The Community forums, including Rainbow BGGers, are BGG forums and are run by BGG. That said, no one is forced into using them. It's an option some people will enjoy using and others won't. Do what best fits your needs.

"If you don't like it, fuck off." shakeshakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth being explicit that locking threads is not neutral. It's a win for the homophobes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natureslayer wrote:
Oh that's good, they moved this thread to a completely different forum even when it was specifically addressing what happened in Rainbow BGG. Good job, you shitty shitty shitty admins.

piman wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Moved to Complaints Dept

Fuck off, you piece of shit.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.