Subject: Is this hard to play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know, this sounds like a stupid question but I am looking for something accessible and easy to pick up.
I just watched an unboxing video on here and it seems to come with several manuals. The Core Rules book got flicked through, 60+ pages was enough to put me off as I am not really a board gamer, just looking for something as an alternative to PC games such as Graviteam Tactics...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
ddtank wrote:
I know, this sounds like a stupid question but I am looking for something accessible and easy to pick up.
I just watched an unboxing video on here and it seems to come with several manuals. The Core Rules book got flicked through, 60+ pages was enough to put me off as I am not really a board gamer, just looking for something as an alternative to PC games such as Graviteam Tactics...

Perhaps it was my unboxing?

The rules are 60 pages BUT large print. Also if you do the newbie missions as recommended in the manual, you'll use a small set of the rules and work your way up to more and more.

But for an initial entry to wargaming in a physical sense, you might look for something a little less complicated (not that this is overly so, but it's probably not an entry level game to teach yourself).

The said, the rulebook should be available on the LNL site for download and you can read before making a decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ddtank wrote:
Sadly, unless you are really looking to put in a lot of time, this is not the game for you. You are correct, there are manuals upon manuals. And although the rules will make sense eventually, I would never consider this an "easy to pick up" occasional game for beginners. It's more of a "read the rulebook before bedtime for a week straight before you even start out" game.

Have you considered Tank on Tank: WestFront?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boyens
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
mb
Not hard to play - more of a game than a simulation. You can just play the scenarios with infantry only (no vehicles) and you can ignore 1/2 of the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like to try it out for free there is this print and play demo:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-world-war-ii-...

It has all the rules, charts, game pieces, and map needed to play the included scenario.

There's also an illustrated play walk-through to help you get started in learning the rules:

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/lnlt-game-play-wal...

It's a fun series of games and not really that hard to pick up. If you've mastered Graviteam Tactics then you can learn this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes Kevin it was your unboxing and very useful, thanks!
I take the point about the large print, lots of nice graphics too but I think from the overall input here (thanks all for fast replies), it is a bit too much than what I am looking for. I'm a lightweight, what can I say?
My search has expanded from "Tanks" as that does appear to be purely an armour game and while I may yet end up with that as it looks easy and the starter set is cheap enough, ideally I would like something with supporting infantry too.
From a quick look, Tank on Tank appears to offer that, as well as solo play whereas with Tanks, I guess I would end up taking turns as each side.
(Edit: Maybe East Front could be it too as that would take me down the same alley as my beloved PC game...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ddtank wrote:
From a quick look, Tank on Tank appears to offer that, as well as solo play whereas with Tanks, I guess I would end up taking turns as each side.
(Edit: Maybe East Front could be it too as that would take me down the same alley as my beloved PC game...)
Both West Front and East Front work off of the same basic rules, which are super-easy to learn. Plus expansions are in the works for each as well. Good games for someone just looking to pick up and play without slogging through a huge rulebook!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been trawling games sites and stores for months looking for something suitable (solo/WW2/lightweight) and short-listed a number of others (D-Day at Omaha, Awakening the Bear, Tide of Iron (ideally I'd like minis on the board) etc etc) but don't know why I didn't find ToT sooner as those others I mention are still too heavy for me. I did try Airfix Battles but was not taken by it.
Tanks is that cheap, I might get that one too though as mentioned it is not really a solo game. Beyond that, ToT looks the one to get and I greatly enjoyed your review of it too by the way.
Apologies for hijacking my own thread and going off-topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

Ohio
msg tools
mbmb
"Easy to pick up and play" is, I suppose like beauty in that it is very much in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I really like this system and I don't find the rules that complicated. Yes, the rule book is 60 pages, but a lot of that is stuff you are not going to need in your first few games and, after that, they become just add ons. (For example, there is a page or so on star shells. Nice, but you won't need that to start.) Cut out tanks (to start with), off board artillery, on board guns and mortars and airplanes and the base rules aren't really much over 30 pages. Plus, there is a fantastic rules summary sheet that really boils things down to the essence.

The real question is whether or not the system captures what you are interested in. Some WW2 tactical systems can range from complex to a life style (ASL), while others are more in the nature of WW2 tactical games (Tide of Iron). This system is certainly more of a simulation than Airfix Battles, but no where near ASL.

Another option for you to consider might be the Heroes of Normandie series. Has the advantage of no charts -- all the info is on the counters. In fact, that system has been described as miniatures with cardboard instead of plastic.

That said, my preference is still LNL.

Several suggestions to help you decide:

1. Try the PNP demo version. Stripped down rules and not a bad little game. And if you are just trying out the rules, then you don't need to spend much time on crafting elegant pieces.

2. Try the how to play videos by Big Board Gaming. They are well done and are broken into manageable chunks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I will take another look at this and other options you mention.
I also still find myself drawn to CoH:AtB and have watched several vids of that. I like the look of how that one also introduces things piecemeal.
However on balance, I think I will end up with Eastfront as it looks more basic, yet with similar principles to these other games. I could then progress to them while avoiding being turned off by the whole idea with something that looks to heavy upfront as a first game.
For $20 or so I will also get the Tanks starter set, though that looks like a different animal to these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI tanks is pretty dull solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, as someone who was in on ASL at its establishment, that LnLT is very digestible. It really is, in many ways, an improved Squad Leader. ASL requires a serious commitment to not only digest the rules but maintain currency. LnLT is much more reasonable in my opinion with most of the enjoyable detail that ASL provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Anderson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
FYI tanks is pretty dull solo.

I imagine so. On the other hand though, I get to play with little tanks! (I might even make sound effects if nobody else is home...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was "into" the system very much back to its original release 12 years ago in 2005. I haven't followed it closely since the takeover by the new owner of the company. What are the major differences between the new LnL:Tactical vs. original LnL? I had aches with the original regarding the spotting rules and scenario balance. Are there changes to the spotting rules and new scenarios? Or is LnL a simple face-lift of the original? The spotting rule ached me because automatic spotting in the open ground seems to lull the degrading terrain along the LOS to the target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Lawrence,
Nothing has changed. Clarifications and clean up of the rules but everything stayed. Spotting is the same.
I never had a problem scenario balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.