Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am posting this question the other way, too.

So, basically, in your opinion, what concerns do Liberals have about the right? It could be concerns about typical conservative issues or extremists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I am posting this question the other way, too.

Don't bother with that. Any rightwingnut who comments will definitely get the banhammer.

Personally, I'm not afraid of either political party. In my view, their influence is definitely on the wane. It's the extremists at both ends of the political spectrum that bother the hell out of me. They're just like those Bible-thumpers -- they KNOW, dammit, they KNOW what's is right and what is wrong for EVERY HUMAN BEING on the planet, and they will brook no compromise in their idiotic views.

But Dems/Repubs? All in the backpocket of Wall Street billionaires and other fat cat donors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The concern that they hold up and put the squash on meaningful legislation, that can impact ordinary Americans lives, but they hold on to ideals that are slowly waning in this country, ideals that are not the views of the average citizen, who's just looking for answers, on how to make ends meet, and live better lives. They are unrealistic I think, attempting to keep a vision of the country that has long since past, and is very unlikely to ever return. But they cannot come to grips with this, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
The concern that they hold up and put the squash on meaningful legislation, that can impact ordinary Americans lives, but they hold on to ideals that are slowly waning in this country, ideals that are not the views of the average citizen, who's just looking for answers, on how to make ends meet, and live better lives. They are unrealistic I think, attempting to keep a vision of the country that has long since past, and is very unlikely to ever return. But they cannot come to grips with this, in my opinion.

IDK, I sure would like an America that had strong unions again, a love for public education & I remember as a kid that religion was always kept in the home & church. maybe I misremember those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

IDK, I sure would like an America that had strong unions again, a love for public education & I remember as a kid that religion was always kept in the home & church. maybe I misremember those things.

I have absolutely no issues with any of that. Sadly, unions in my neck of the woods shot themselves in their own foot, making demands that were not realistic, while offering no better quality than non-union. Public education is still a good thing and something to aspire to make better, America did screw this one up, but not sure I'd say this was due to liberals. Religion in home and church, no issues, but you and I know religion is NOT just kept in home and church, religious conservatives range from mild to outright zealots, when it comes to proselityzing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legislated culture, wealth concentration, less social justice (legalized bullying), civil rights deterioration, oligarchy entrenchment and strengthening, increased corporatocracy protections by reducing people protections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
What about those of us who are fiscally conservative but socially liberal, and deny a strict left-right paradigm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for Unions, in an increasingly oversupplied labor market (due to international low wages and automation) it will be next to impossible for Unions to be much of a player for the foreseeable future (in the US). The damage has already been done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
What about those of us who are fiscally conservative but socially liberal, and deny a strict left-right paradigm?
Report to your nearest FEMA camp for "processing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Feel The Love is down the hall on the left.

Or on the right. It's so hard to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

I will agree that we are not binary and that most of us are somewhere in between extreme left & extreme right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me distinguish..

Conservatives and what we called the "right" up to about 1996?

Not much. Maybe a little loss of sexual freedom but that's it. Maybe slightly reduced services in exchange for a better balanced (but not balanced) budget. Excessive military at the cost of inexpensive social services.

"Right wing" / "NeoCon" / "Religious Right" ?

Loss of freedom, early death of many americans (including me), financial ruin of many americans (including me), renewed racism, renewed misogyny, harassment of females including sexual harassment, age discrimination, cruelty, homophobia, massive pollution and an increase of superfund epa sites, gutting of the EPA, gutting of free legal protection, increase of police violence, decreased government services, concentration of wealth and destruction of the middle class, unequal enforcement of the law, destruction of of our multi-hundred year old democratic traditions, "ends justify the means" actions to ensure continued power, destruction of our democracy to ensure continued power, return to tariffs, stripping of the wilderness because the end times are in our lifetime, nuclear war because of simplistic thinking and aggressive warlike attitudes because they've forgotten the lessons of every previous war ( "air power" will NOT win. Boots on the ground won't win unless you commit fully. You just can't win a war with a nuclear power).

I'm sure I missed something- but that's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

The real model is even more complicated with many different axis.
Not just two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

The fear of you is a fear of society devolving into a caste-based, corporate oligarchy.

<<

>>

(You could probably just chime in on both topics.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

As a social liberal, what do you fear from social conservatives? (This thread)
As a fiscal conservative, what do you fear from economic liberals? (The other thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A government in service to a corporate oligarchy, maintained by populist support of a majority at the expense of religious, racial/ethnic, and gender minorities, which functions as a distraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
A government in service to a corporate oligarchy, maintained by populist support of a majority at the expense of religious, racial/ethnic, and gender minorities, which functions as a distraction.

Not even a majority. Through gerrymandering, vote suppression, and the electoral system the minority is enforcing its will.

And unlike the fears of the right, we are actually seeing our fears come into being
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Doc Mage wrote:

Not even a majority. Through gerrymandering, vote suppression, and the electoral system the minority is enforcing its will.

And unlike the fears of the right, we are actually seeing our fears come into being

This is kind of what I was thinking a couple days ago, that the right is afraid of the Boogeyman (not very threatening issues) whereas the left is actually suffering very real threatening issues.

Just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that my rights to marry, or my freedom to patronize businesses and other public establishments might be curtailed by a hateful subset of the current majority party.

I worry that my close friend and colleague will see his own husband, a Mexican citizen who gained his green card as a Dreamer, deported.

I fear that my brother will lose his government-enabled health care.

I worry that my mom might lose her state job, or her state-funded retirement, to budget-cutting policies of "fiscal conservatives."

I am terrified that cutbacks in welfare, section 8, and food stamps in my very expensive city will cause huge increases in urban crime, homelessness, drug use, and overall indigence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
That they will gut the social safety net to the point, where ordinary Americans and their children won't be able to afford basic human necessities or healthcare.

That they will step back in time with respect to civil rights, particularly on newer developments like same-sex marriage.

That they will make abortion completely illegal.

That they will embroil us in another war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
TheChin! wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Report to your nearest FEMA camp for "processing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:

Eh, but we've already become corporate serfs for decades. Corporate feudalism has been a thing since the railroad barons. The only shit we're really missing at this point was the 1999 Seretech decision and the 2001 Shaiwase decision preventing corps from going full blackwater and some 6th world tech.

Jokes aside, the prevalence of said corporate feudalism is rather alarming. Just look at most large chains or conglomerates. Internationals pretty much have reached this state, imagine if/when we go interstellar and they start running their own colonies/worlds. We're approaching a capital singularity where it's become so concentrated that it needs addressing as the gravitas it's possessing allows certain groups to have proportionally much greater pull than the average joe and we're petty much functioning as an plutocratic oligopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Powerful and continuing nationalism
Disdain for human rights
Identification of enemies as a unifying cause
Supremacy of the military
Rampant sexism
Controlled mass media
Obsession with national security
Religion and government intertwined
Corporate power protected
Labour power suppressed
Disdain for intellectuals & the arts
Obsession with crime & punishment
Rampant cronyism & corruption
Fraudulent elections
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jim-bakker-hurricane-doo...

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.