Hide
6 Posts

Massive Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paladin, Priest, and Noble Skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Furness
msg tools
I have a few questions about the Warrior Priest, Noble Warrior, and Paladin of Fury that my game group and I had some disagreements about and I wanted to see if I could clear them up...

1. (Warrior Priest: Lightbringer, free class skill: All of the Hero's She Mode Skills work in Light Zones instead of Shadow Zones.) Does this mean only the skills on his skill sheet, or does this also include weapon skills like the shadow orb that require to be in shadow mode to use their special healing ability? Half on my group says it is for skills on the skill sheet only while the other half say it is for the use of ANY shadow skills that character is using regardless of personal skill or weapon trait.

2. (Paladin of Fury: Light in the Darkness: Shadow Mode: "Defense +1 sheild" to the Hero and all allies in the same zone.) Does this only apply to allies after the Paladin has -activated it- by using it once that round and all players remaining will benefit (not the before), or is it always in affect for all heroes in the shadow mode and in the same zone? *please read below for further explanation.

3. (Noble Warrior: Shadow Mode: "Attack: +1 sword" to all heroes in the same zone.) same question as Paladin of Fury but with attack instead of defense. *please read below for further explanation.

4. (Paladin of Fury: Free Class Skill: "Defense +1 sheild" to all allies in the same zone.) same as Paladin of Fury question. Is this always in effect for other players or does it have to be activated for following players after it has been used even if it is a free skill. *please read below for further explanation.

5. Warrior Priest and the Shadow Ord follow up question: If the Warrior Priest is able to use the shadow skill of the item in light spaces, does this still apply to all heroes it heals? (for example the card says something like: Shadow Skill: heal other players in shadow zones. If they are applying the light zones ability to items to use them, by the second half says "heal players in shadow zones" meaning THEIR shadow zone, or YOUR light zone?)

*The confusion in our group is mainly coming from the bold print because most of us are considering this to be the qualifier to activate the skill for the following characters and it to not always be in effect (for example the barbarian goes first, but doesn't get the "all heroes in the same zone" effect because the Noble Warrior goes second in the player rotation. Then the Noble Warrior uses an attack to activate the ability, meaning the Battle Wizard who is third in the rotation will have the +1 attack afterwards before the rotation ends.) ...while others in my group are saying this skill is always in effect (meaning so long as any is attacking, in the same zone as the Noble Warrior, and in shadowmode, everyone gets +1 attack, even the barbarian who goes first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with Nicholas on all points.

1. If you are a Warrior Priest, then the shadow mode condition is changed to read:

[Shadow Mode] – The Skill is active if the Hero is in a Light Zone.

Anything (class sheet, weapon, or otherwise) that has the bold [Shadow Mode] condition only gives the benefit in a light zone.

2,3, and 4. There is no need to 'activate' the skill. If the Paladin is in a shadow zone, then all heroes also in that zone gain the benefit regardless of turn order. Likewise for the Noble Warrior. To find out if a skill is active, check its condition in brackets (see Pg 54 for a list of all conditions). If you meet that condition, the skill is active. You seem to be confusing the trigger (the bold word before the colon) for a condition. For instance: [Shadow Mode] Attack: +1 Sword is active whenever a hero meets the [Shadow Mode] condition. The +1 sword effect is triggered whenever an attack action is performed.

Also, not all free class skills are free to activate, such as Teleport, Explosion Escape, or Command. They are free in the sense that you did not need to spend XP to purchase them.

5. This is a bit of tricky one. The Warrior Priest is in Shadow mode only on light zones. So they could receive the Shadow orb's healing when standing in a light zone, because they are in Shadow Mode. However, all other classes are only in shadow mode when standing in shadow zones. So for a warrior priest to heal someone else with the Shadow orb, the Priest would need to be in a light zone and the other hero would need to be in a shadow zone. Luckily, the orb's healing does not seem to restrict healing to heroes in the same zone, so this shouldn't be too hard to pull off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Doctor Bandage's interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
2,3, and 4. There is no need to 'activate' the skill. If the Paladin is in a shadow zone, then all heroes also in that zone gain the benefit regardless of turn order.

Just to add to that, skills like Bulwark ("Defense: +1 shield to other Allies in the same Zone.") would be useless when the Paladin/Warrior Priest/Noble Warrior were the last players to go, as no one would be going after them.

I have noticed several times now where people are implementing their own rules or conditions when no such things are even mentioned in the skills. For instance Bulwark and Light in the Darkness make no mention of the hero needing to use the skill first, the only condition is it needs to be used during defense and in the same zone so why would you think it needs to be activated somehow? I feel like sometimes people read to much into skills and find things that aren't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the confusion over words like 'free'.

Still, eventually we should get everything straight. The Skills are well described mostly, there's just a few weird corner cases that need discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Mitchell
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Bulwark (and similar abilities) confused me as well until I actually included the quotation marks in my interpretation ... Bulwark: "Defense: +1 Shield" to other Allies in the same zone.

This doesn't mean the Allies in the same zone gain +1 Shield when the Paladin defends - it means that all Allies in the same zone as the Paladin gain the "Defense: +1 Shield" ability.

That made things easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.