Hide
8 Posts

Apocrypha Adventure Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Favorite Saint For Solo Play vs. Group Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spetz
msg tools
So, I wanted to check in with people and see who their favorite saints are and what kind of decks they are building with them.

I have been making it a habit of playing through missions solo before I run them with my group, so I have a better idea of the set up and any fiddly rules.

I tend to use Evangelina Rose for both runs just because she has so much staying power. Being able to lower the cost of Holy and Ally gifts really lets her hold her own in solo play. Between Lantern Clown and Prayer Wheel she has some serious healing potential, both of which feed into her theme.

Going up against body or rage threats can be a bit of a pain, but even then I can usually hold my own. Sparks is an alpha gift that I can't ever imagine dropping from my deck, and there are enough Holy gifts that have the Conjure skill that even just burning them for a boost makes rage checks much more bearable. Three extra die for a recycled card is nothing to sneeze at.

I have not really needed to use Evangelina's second power, but being able to flip a nexus when sealing/guarding feels like something that only matters when you really need it.

Honorable mention goes to Gabriella Vargas. She is a really solid jack-of-all-trades type character and is a really good choice for any group. I probably wouldn't want to run her solo, since her movement ability would be wasted, but in group play it can be really helpful. Her other ability has swung a few encounters in group play already, and with all of her skills she can usually solo whatever encounter she ends up in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inertia Kitty
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
My group of three played the Start Here mission with Gabrielle Vargas, Dr. Zeez, and Diana Jones.

Dr. Zeez is a Wicked healing fiend, and keeps a Monstropedia the way you kept Sparks. We just got him his first Trauma Kit, and MAN you'd've thought it was Christmas (in Candlepoint!).

Gabrielle Vargas is, as you say, well rounded. We find she tends to roll more Rage dice than most other things. The movement power is POTENT in Along The Trail missions, as Players Y and Z don't (both) have to waste turns moving without investigating when Player X seals a Nexus.

Diane Jones was pretty butch. Flipping dice is my favorite form of bonus, as I've almost always got at least one 1 when the need to modify comes along. Strong Soul, and backup closer abilities don't suck.

But when we moved on to the Base Chapter, I switched from Diane Jones to Matthew Lockehart because being able to get ALL the gifts and scrap the crappy ones for Investigates is just too darn cool. And let me just say that the Runic Blade with the Blessed Athame makes for a WONDERFUL combination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
inertiakitty wrote:
The movement power is POTENT in Along The Trail missions, as Players Y and Z don't (both) have to waste turns moving without investigating when Player X seals a Nexus.

Sounds like you made the same mistake my group initially made. When you seal a nexus, all players must move on the current player's move step since the nexus has been sacrificed. Page 13:

Move: If you are at a nexus, you may move by putting your
pawn at another nexus. In addition, any saint not at a nexus
must move now even if it is not that saint’s turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spetz
msg tools
Yeah, my four person group is Zeez, Evangeline, Diana Jones, and Gabriella. I've noticed that a lot of my play as Evangline is pointed at myself, but I am fairly self sufficient so at least no one needs to worry about helping me out. I also picked up a Prayer Wheel so I can do double duty on healing if things get dicey.

Diana Jones is a monster in our games so far. Having a flip ready on pretty much any important check has been a godsend multiple times. She is in general a pretty handy saint to have during checks since so many of her cards have evaluate abilities.

I actually tried Lockehart out in a solo game and liked his ability. Being able to turn trash gifts into bonus investigates is pretty nice, especially if you are on a Hope nexus and don't want to switch over. Although I think that he gets worse the more saints you have, just because other people could potentially use those gifts after the mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 Saint group is Alice Moon, Diana Jones, Frank Block and Mather Lockehart. So far it seems to be a good synergy. Alice has a 4-side and two 3-sides, can Avoid if she finds a tough match-up and her Examine helps set-up the Saints behind her. Diana of course can Flip a die, making even her 2-sides viable. Frank is the tank, with a 4-card hand he can last a while, using heal gifts to help the other Saints. Lockehart's ability against Gifts is fantastic, and with an Avoid card or two he also can avoid unfavorable match-ups.

The interaction between the Saints is what I am enjoying most. This mechanic seems to be far more prevalent (and in fact necessary) than it is in PACG.

I'm four Missions in and really enjoying it so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inertia Kitty
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
F8alist wrote:
inertiakitty wrote:
The movement power is POTENT in Along The Trail missions, as Players Y and Z don't (both) have to waste turns moving without investigating when Player X seals a Nexus.

Sounds like you made the same mistake my group initially made. When you seal a nexus, all players must move on the current player's move step since the nexus has been sacrificed. Page 13:

Move: If you are at a nexus, you may move by putting your
pawn at another nexus. In addition, any saint not at a nexus
must move now even if it is not that saint’s turn.

Holy•Crap|Study...

Yeah, we've been playing on Hard Mode, apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alderman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if playing solo, is it better to play just one Saint or up to four?
I'm anxious to play my copy, but curious the best way folks have found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one is pretty dull, as the interactions between saints are one of the more interesting elements. I've been having fun with 2. The cool thing is you don't have to commit to a party size. You could start with 4 and drop down if it feels too much to manage. Keeping track of all the discard piles was a bit much for me at 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.