Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who knows me also knows I am completely devoid of misogyny.

If this is how the warriors wish to react, take offense, and make assumptions, so be it. I need not subject myself to it.

Goodbye forever, Boardgamegeek community.

Sandy Petersen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...what just happened?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jensen Romer
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This is very sad but completely understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there it is.

To those who attacked Sandy like this, I just want to say "thanks for making our world a little less bright."

Your accusations and rhetoric have made it a little harder to communicate with a developer, and we have all benefited from that communication in the past.

So again, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us.

And to Sandy, please don't be too hasty to leave.

I really value being able to read your posts and ideas, and I know I'm not alone. Please don't let the irrational posts of a person(s) in the minority here ruin this. I understand that you're upset, and I don't blame you. Frankly, I'm upset, and I'm not even the one the comments were aimed at.

But please, remember, that there are MANY of us here that value you and your conversations. We vastly outnumber those who would label you unfairly.

If you still want to step away, I wish you the best, and I'll continue to support your products.

I just wanted you to know how I, at least, feel.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Um...what just happened?

Short answer is a semi-regular poster around here took one of Sandy's descriptions of hyperspace and accused him of being a misogynist in another thread.

Ridiculous, I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Sandy leaves BGG which is understandable, is there a better place he sometimes answers questions or has a dialogue open?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortavius wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
Um...what just happened?

Short answer is a semi-regular poster around here took one of Sandy's descriptions of hyperspace and accused him of being a misogynist in another thread.

Ridiculous, I know.

The world just keeps getting more and more bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Um...what just happened?

This happened: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1843452/abject-misogyny-bgg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LUL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This bothers me. When things like this happen and things get taken out of context, we lose communication with a neat designer and we encourage other designers to not be as open with the community as Sandy has.

All because of the description of an "ex-girlfriend" stereotyped race?

Instead of attacking the designer, perhaps just don't buy the product if/when it was/is released?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even know what happened, but I can imagine.

I would like to thank you Sandy.

Thanks for your presence here and for your honest and insightful posts.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and to discuss with us.

Thanks for taking the risk of interacting with everyone. It is not easy and most designers prefer to abstain to avoid polemics and the ocasional unfruitful discussion.

I, for one, will always treasure the brief exchanges we had and the several good reads your posts have provided to me.

Your posts and videos in the first CW campaign inspired me to make my own games and now I have one soon to be published and other three in testings that are going very, very well. I can only hope you make your presence available here again in the future to continue to be an inspiration, but I completely understand if you really need to leave.

Best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is terrible. Could someone please link in the discussion that Sandy is referencing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sandy, I hope you find your way back to BGG at some point in time. There are over 1,000,000 BGG users. Please don't let a the comments of a couple of people deprive the rest of us of your company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coppt2 wrote:
This is terrible. Could someone please link in the discussion that Sandy is referencing?

It's up above, Salvador linked it already. Check it out in all it's horrible, lying, glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody
United States
Placentia
Select state
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boo, one of the best parts about Petersen Games was being able to interact with Sandy and his family. I see how the Ask Sandy threads would get exhausting though. Seems like a small thing to quit over though, maybe just a break?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHShole wrote:
Boo, one of the best parts about Petersen Games was being able to interact with Sandy and his family. I see how the Ask Sandy threads would get exhausting though. Seems like a small thing to quit over though, maybe just a break?

If what's said in that other thread is true, then I suspect that Sandy may have received one or more private messages, and I can only speculate about the content. But based on what the people who may have sent those messages were saying publicly, I can assume that those private messages said quite horrible things.

Man, it's so awful to see someone ruin something for everyone.

It really is true what they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very disheartening.

I hope the positive support of the many outweighs the negative words of the few so we can move on and go back to the joy of what Sandy brings to the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sad. I hope that there can be another place for conversations with Sandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy, you have my support.

Haters gonna hate, it is unavoidable. People of good will knows how to tell this things apart.

You rock. Your job is awsome, you love and care for the boardgame comunity is outstanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry this has all happened. It's unfair and unjust and WAY out of proportion! I support your decision to leave behind the vitriol, but just know that the majority of us appreciate all you've done for this community and truly hope you return at some point, or at least from time to time.

On behalf of our community, I apologize to you for any and all stress this has put on you... =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hultquist
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coppt2 wrote:

I don't even need to read it - I know from his posts here, his constant interaction with backers on his Kickstarter projects, and his devotion to those same projects, that Sandy is one of the most pleasant people, and best game designers a person could run across. The degree to which he bends over backwards to accommodate the feedback of his backers, fans and critics alike, astounds me (especially since I find a lot of those 'suggestions' sent his way petty nitpicking).

In general, while I'm a fan of particular works/games, I'm not usually a fan of authors/designers/creators. I AM a fan of Sandy Petersen, as all those things, and as a person, too.

I hope Sandy reconsiders his participation here, but if not, I'll look forward to his insight, creativity, and new projects on Kickstarter, his website, and wherever else I can find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talae wrote:
This is sad. I hope that there can be another place for conversations with Sandy.

Facebook, reddit, PG's website, I'm sure there's others.

Not that I'm glad he got chased off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
There are times when a website becomes too politically charged to tolerate; BGG has been past that line for quite some time now. As much as I'd like to say this surprises me, the truth is I'm more surprised that it took as long as it did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm not sure it speaks well to your character to abandon an entire community because a couple of people don't like you. Who cares if you were singled out for some dude's soapbox and a few people agreed with him?

Leaving the site feels a little like a temper tantrum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.