Subject: Larger Magnetic boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Gardner
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
I created these magnetic player boards. They were very easy to put together if anyone else is interested.

I scanned the player boards. In Gimp, increased the size of them to print out 4"x6". Slipped them into 4x6 magnetic photo sleeves from Walgreens ($3.00 each).

Drilled out 1/4" hole on the bottom of each player piece. Inserted 1/4" x 1/8" earth magnets.

On the score tracker the magnets were just glued to the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such an awesome idea! And since you printed out new player boards, you aren't covering up the solo opponents on the back. Love it. I'm just scared I would destroy my wood bits with the drill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI- you do not need to drill, you can easily get thin but strong magnetic sheets that can be stuck behind the pieces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Gardner
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Such an awesome idea! And since you printed out new player boards, you aren't covering up the solo opponents on the back. Love it. I'm just scared I would destroy my wood bits with the drill

I was scared too! I got a 2nd copy of the game just in case. The square (Energy) pieces I had the most problems with. They split easily. You need a new sharp 1/4" bit. Start with a 1/16" bit to create your center hole. That will keep the 1/4" bit from drifting. I used clamps to hold the pieces in place while I was drilling.

Then again, you can always just glue the magnets to the bottom without drilling any holes. I did that on the score tracker pieces.

Oh, and I also enlarged some of the Rogue Galaxies and put them in their own magnetic sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you mind posting a picture or any notes about how you added the magnets to the space ships? I've ordered my magnets, scanned my boards, and I'm ready to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Gardner
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
I did not add magnets to the ships. Everything I did is pictured.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.