Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Blocking too strong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
It seems like once you get some armor upgrades and nothing ever hurts you again. At 2 blue 1 black I maybe got hit once by normal mobs every 10 hits. During the Smoughstein fight I had 1black 1blue and 1 orange and I didn't take a single damage.

I feel like blocking should cost 1 Stam or enemies need armor penetration.

I vote for Stam. So Herald actually has something to heal.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The game is pretty, but the balancing is all over the place. Too hard in the beginning, piece of cake if you get the right equipment too soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The problem isn't the armor scaling, it's the enemy variety. Most heavy armors have poor magic defense, but the only consistent magic damage in the base game is from Super Ornstein, so you can just stack the biggest armor you can find with no downsides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Valid point. There really needs to be more enemies with more complex mechanics. Sadly I'm doomed to the core game until next year most likely as I missed out on the Kickstarter. Hopefully people will sell them before then lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my impression too. I started with an Assassin going for Dodge (all 4 dice) and finished the game with fat armor completely ignoring Dodge as it's more dangerous than blocking once you have the proper armor (and shield).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightye wrote:
That's my impression too. I started with an Assassin going for Dodge (all 4 dice) and finished the game with fat armor completely ignoring Dodge as it's more dangerous than blocking once you have the proper armor (and shield).

I think the biggest problem with dodge is that wearing no armor should really give you 4-5 dodge dice all the time. A dodge assassin needs to 1. get lucky with drops and 2. adjust his weapons and entire stat progression to accomodate for the very, very limited amount of dodge weaponry.

I mean, isn't Dark Souls really about charging at a boss naked, with a claymore in hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
Well, blocking in the video game does cost you stamina. And keeping your shield up really slows stamina regen. So maybe after a successful block you only recover one stamina instead of two? Or maybe don't recover stamina at all?

Ugh, just something else to consider houseruling...

Rolling in the video game is just much more effective most of the time. I always invest a ton of Souls in the skill that can make me roll like crazy and then jump + hit (R2 on PS WHEN IT WORKS!) on the foe's face with my ultra greatword or my Demon Axe. Brutal.

Feels much more satisfying than rolling 3 blanks on the green dice and then 2 single swords on my orange dice -.-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Rolling in the video game is just much more effective most of the time. I always invest a ton of Souls in the skill that can make me roll like crazy and then jump + hit (R2 on PS WHEN IT WORKS!) on the foe's face with my ultra greatword or my Demon Axe. Brutal.

Feels much more satisfying than rolling 3 blanks on the green dice and then 2 single swords on my orange dice -.-

It's stuff like that that makes me wish they had a "skill card shop" of sorts in Dark Souls where you could buy cinematic abilities with souls. Say f.e. 12 souls for a card that lets you use a melee weapon to do what you just said. Would be pretty easy to translate to it - probably something like "for 5 stamina, roll dodge dice +1. If dodge is successful, roll weapon dice +3 damage against the attacking enemy."

It could still blow up in your face, but it's essentially a way to buy a stronger "backstab" that the assassin can use a whopping 1 time before dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Woofs the Third
msg tools
The Waspman wrote:

Do I just really really want to like the board game because of brand recognition? Is there a good game here underneath the treasure lottery crapshoot, the lack of balance, the poor design choices and pointless stats?

I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere, someone mentioned that one of the designers didn't really design it as a faithful adaptation of the video game (which is pretty damn obvious) and more of a toolkit, to design your own Dark Souls game.

Its feeling increasingly like this is the case...

I think you are largely correct. A significant portion of this board game's fanbase is desperate to like this game due to brand recognition and sunken costs. There is not a single system within the board game that I consider well-designed (even in a vacuum). Nor does the game mirror the video games in any meaningful sense. There is no exploration, the combat is not skill-based, enemies and traps are not cleverly placed within the world, and lore is nonexistent.

Comparing Dark Souls the Board Game to any similar game in the genre reveals just how lackluster it really is. Other dungeon crawlers go out of their way to provide players with options (which keeps gameplay fresh and exciting), but in DStBG the options are always extremely basic. Each player literally just chooses which of the handful of available spaces to move to, and which out of the handful of available attacks to use. Non-boss enemies follow absurdly simplistic behavior that is a depressing combination of pitifully easy to predict and impossible to avoid (at least in 2+ player games, where you can't kite every melee enemy).

A lot of people seem convinced that the upcoming expansions will fix the game, but that simply isn't possible. There are just too many things which are fundamentally wrong with the game. Even a complete rules re-write wouldn't solve everything: you'd need to redesign a ton of the cards and the entire board (basically everything except the models themselves). The only thing the expansions will provide is more variety, and there is a good chance they won't even do that well.

The game isn't even a good toolkit. It is just far too limited, and tons of design decisions work against each other. The whole thing is one of the most phoned in projects I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
The Waspman wrote:

It just hit me yesterday from that last update that one of the cards teased - the Pursuers Greatshield - had minimum stats of, what, 38 strength and... 30... faith? Faith!? Really? Why, just because its a powerful shield and just having one high level stat is too easy to achieve to equip it?

This gave me a really good idea. Change requirements to You need to meet one of those stats to wield. This could be a real game changer, so you can actually specialize.

So for that shield, you would need 38 strength OR 30 Faith. But you don't require both.

So that shield can be used for Faith based builds, or Strength based, but not Dex or Intel.

Man this little change would drastically change how we play, allowing weapons that were impossible to use due to their Requirement to be used. (Silver Knight sword)

I think I might try it my next play through, what do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raught19 wrote:
The Waspman wrote:

It just hit me yesterday from that last update that one of the cards teased - the Pursuers Greatshield - had minimum stats of, what, 38 strength and... 30... faith? Faith!? Really? Why, just because its a powerful shield and just having one high level stat is too easy to achieve to equip it?

This gave me a really good idea. Change requirements to You need to meet one of those stats to wield. This could be a real game changer, so you can actually specialize.

So for that shield, you would need 38 strength OR 30 Faith. But you don't require both.

So that shield can be used for Faith based builds, or Strength based, but not Dex or Intel.

Man this little change would drastically change how we play, allowing weapons that were impossible to use due to their Requirement to be used. (Silver Knight sword)

I think I might try it my next play through, what do you guys think?

If you did that they you need to consider soul gain; as you would need less stats to level you could burn through the item deck and get exactly the item you want every game.

This may or may not be a problem, depending on your view point.
The idea might have merit, though.

A better idea would have been for the designers to pay attention to item balance and progression in the first place, but this is crying to the wind at this point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wicki
Switzerland
flag msg tools
With the video game in mind, I would suggest that blocking works as follows (house rule):
- For everything you hold in your hands, you should use one stamina. So dual shield, dual weapons with block values or "sword and board" would require two stamina and two-handed and only one weapon or shield would require one stamina.
- For armour you would not have to use stamina and just use the dice
- For Dodging it would make sense to just not be able to use your hands for blocking after an unsuccessful dodge attempt, because you are already wearing it anyway. Late game it would mean you would be wearing Alva Armour with one blue die.

This would make dodging more appealing because You would not suffer a 6 damage hit from the hard hitting foes, but maybe 4 or 5, which is still very much. It would also make blocking a little harder and makes the game a little closer to the video game.

I only see a bit of a trouble in the very early game, especially if you are up against a silver knight or a large hollow when the only way to consistently deal damage is using stamina attacks and using stamina to reduce damage you receive.

I would walk wide away from reducing stats on equipment or to make it a choice of what you need. In the video game stuff has requirements. You can use it but with reduced effect. Either you simulate a reduced effect (-1 for every stat that is under its tier for every tier) or you don't use it at all. You could make an exception for two-handed weapons and strength requirements meaning you would only have to have half of the strength as required, just like in the video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.