11 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can structures by themselves hold a system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan K.
msg tools
Hi all,

This is quite the epic endgame situation. The rebel base is revealed, so the units are put on Bespin. The empire has an overwhelming space presence, including a death star. He has drawn a bunch of project cards, so I assume he has the superlaser card ready. We as rebels however still have an airspeeder and 2 rebel soldiers there. And we have a shield generator and an ion cannon.

So I'm one rep away from winning and it's my turn. I have 'Lead the Strike' team in play with Chewie on it. I assign it to a system which is subjugated, with only 1 stormtrooper on it. Darth Vader is put on it, and I win the dice off. If I win the ground battle here, I complete an objective since it is a subjugated planet.

So finally my question: Can I send all my ground forces, only leaving the structures on Bespin? Or should I leave one rebel soldier behind to keep guard to prevent a game loss? That one extra rebel soldier could mean the difference between winning and losing. I don't know if structures by themselves can occupy a system.

I do know that when there is ground combat, all structures are destroyed if there are only imperial ground units remaining. At the time we ruled that one soldier should be left behind and I won the battle anyway with an airspeeder and a rebel soldier. But this question has been buggin me since!

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Border case with revealed rebel base, can only structures remain?
BossMC wrote:
So finally my question: Can I send all my ground forces, only leaving the structures on Bespin? Or should I leave one rebel soldier behind to keep guard to prevent a game loss? That one extra rebel soldier could mean the difference between winning and losing. I don't know if structures by themselves can occupy a system.

There is no rule preventing a lone Structure from occupying and "controlling" a system. It only matters during combat.

As such, there's no requirement to leave any non-structures behind, though it does leave you particularly vulnerable if the Empire wants to move in. But they are units, and thus would prevent the Empire from winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="BossMC"]The rebel base is revealed, so the units are put on Bespin./q]

You don't have units in the rebel base space. All units must stay in Bespin.

Edit: I stand corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
RitterFips wrote:
[q="BossMC"]The rebel base is revealed, so the units are put on Bespin./q]

You don't have units in the rebel base space. All units must stay in Bespin.

They don't have to stay there. Per the RRG: "While the base is revealed, any cards that apply to the “Rebel Base” space apply to the base’s system instead."

So "Lead the Strike Team" would allow you to move units from Bespin in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan P
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
sigmazero13 wrote:
So "Lead the Strike Team" would allow you to move units from Bespin in this case.
As long as there was no Rebel leader present in Bespin. Lead the Strike team does not exempt you from that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan K.
msg tools
Thanks for your quick replies! Good to know that structures by themselves can hold a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BossMC wrote:
Hi all,

This is quite the epic endgame situation. The rebel base is revealed, so the units are put on Bespin. The empire has an overwhelming space presence, including a death star. He has drawn a bunch of project cards, so I assume he has the superlaser card ready. We as rebels however still have an airspeeder and 2 rebel soldiers there. And we have a shield generator and an ion cannon.

So I'm one rep away from winning and it's my turn. I have 'Lead the Strike' team in play with Chewie on it. I assign it to a system which is subjugated, with only 1 stormtrooper on it. Darth Vader is put on it, and I win the dice off. If I win the ground battle here, I complete an objective since it is a subjugated planet.

I do know that when there is ground combat, all structures are destroyed if there are only imperial ground units remaining. At the time we ruled that one soldier should be left behind and I won the battle anyway with an airspeeder and a rebel soldier. But this question has been buggin me since!

Thanks in advance for your answer!

cool situation. i love this game.

are you mid-game?
did it go your way?
Did the Empire indeed have the super-laser card waiting to be played on their next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan K.
msg tools
Hey jooice,

It was turn 9 at the time when this situation came to pass. I was the rebel player and it was my first action of this round.

I won both the dice off and the fight. This was very fortunate, for it indeed turned out that the Empire was holding a superlaser

It was an excellent game, me and my friend were talking about this game for days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Zausel
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BossMC wrote:
Thanks for your quick replies! Good to know that structures by themselves can hold a system.

It's not so much a matter of "holding" a system. Even without that shield generator it wouldn't be a loss for the Rebellion. The Empire can have all the space ships in the galaxy in orbit of Bespin, it won't matter. The Empire actively needs ground forces in the rebel base's system. And if they do, your lonely shield generator won't be "holding" anything. But this question only arises if there are imperial ground forces present.

Edit: This is only true if the rebel base is not yet revealed, see posts below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alter_Zausel wrote:
BossMC wrote:

It's not so much a matter of "holding" a system. Even without that shield generator it wouldn't be a loss for the Rebellion. The Empire can have all the space ships in the galaxy in orbit of Bespin, it won't matter. The Empire actively needs ground forces in the rebel base's system. And if they do, your lonely shield generator won't be "holding" anything. But this question only arises if there are imperial ground forces present.

That is not true.

To win: The empire needs the rebel base to be revealed, and to have at least 1 unit in the system while the rebels do not have any.

Conversly they can super-laser an un-revealed rebel base to win.

There is no mention of ground forces at all. Ground forces are very helpful to reveal the base, but not required
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alter Zausel
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jooice,

you are correct. Ground units are needed one way to reveal the base. But if the rebel base is already revealed, any imperial unit will do. I somehow misread the OP's post and assumed the base was not yet revealed.

My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.