Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the midst of a Tannenberg solo play, and an opportunity just opened up in the German line for a couple of Russian units (2nd Army), to move through the gap. The Germans can probably pull back and avoid any encirclements, but a question arises:

What is to prevent the Russian units from continuing to move towards Konigsberg, or any other objective? Yes, they will be out of supply and technically "Surrounded," but that does not affect their movement on succeeding turns. Yes, it affects combat strength greatly, and could lead to elimination if involved in combat [as per Surrender Rule]. But if the Germans cannot closely surround them with units and their ZOCs and force retreat via combat, then the out of supply Russian units could continue to move each turn they survive behind the German front -- yes?

Am I missing something here about movement and being out of supply, and surviving and continue to move turn by turn (even behind enemy lines) as long as such units are NOT forced by combat to retreat into enemy units or their ZOCs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
(Caveat: the rules are not fresh in my mind.)
FWIW I think that you are right that they may continue moving. They are simply much more fragile and in much greater danger IF they get attacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are attritional effects in the Middle East, but not in the rest of the series.

You could employ some or all of those, but as it is, it does force the enemy to divert forces to deal with a large number of troops in their rear area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Darrel and Russ, for your comments. I will check into using the ME rules for the other titles in the series.

Also, there is some commentary in Prit Buttar's Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914 (2016) about the length of supply line that was pretty much the same for all the combatants to be effective in 1914. I will go back and check my notations and underlining in Buttar's text and see if I might write an historically based "house rule" on that data. Will post when I find the quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.