Cthulhu Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Future of Ask Sandy threads rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people may have missed something that happened in approximately the past eight hours.

It seems that based upon a description of a race for Hyperspace, Sandy Petersen was accused in another forum here on BGG of being a misogynist. I won't link the misogynist thread (it's been locked anyway); it's easy enough to find.

As a result of this (and possibly as a result of private messages he may or may not have received), Sandy has stated that he is leaving BGG.

He made a post about it here, but it was promptly moved to his Creator Forum.

I'm not sure that was the best idea, as I suspect many people will not see it there.

Regardless, this impacts Cthulhu Wars, because it means there will in all likely hood not be anymore "Ask Sandy" threads.

If you care to, I urge you to go to his creator forums and let him know how you feel.

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/336260/sandy-petersen/genera...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Bruno
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to let the turds who bullied him off the site, know how I feel.

These are the first ones to cry about "inclusion" and making our hobby "welcome to all".

You're not welcome at my table anytime soon.

It's real simple.

If you don't like what you're listening to. Change the channel.

If you don't like what you're watching. Change the channel.

If you don't like a certain crowd. Avoid them.

If you think there will ever be some kind of utopia where everyone will think exactly the way you do or the way you would want them to. We've had and still have those kinds of societies; Soviet Union, Communist China, Isis, Nazi Germany...you're going down that same path of "if you don't think or act the same way that I deem is appropriate, then you are the enemy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Norton
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
The Kickstarters... they don't STOP!
badge
Have you Seen it?
mbmbmbmbmb
We could start an "Ask Chase" thread, but I promise the content of my answers will be very lacking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyMcNasty wrote:
We could start an "Ask Chase" thread, but I promise the content of my answers will be very lacking...

Hey Chase, I've been waiting for your painting tutorials for awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this topic has enough threads. Best to make a few more just in case...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolvercote wrote:

These are the first ones to cry about "inclusion" and making our hobby "welcome to all".

I was very disappointed that it was apparently okay to imply any follower of Sandy's faith is somehow bigoted with no response. I wish that the rules would apply equally to everyone, but it does not seem to be the case.

I wasn't offended by Sandy's posts but won't belittle those who were. I can see their position, I can. But I don't see how that gives free license to make generalizations about a completely different group of people. That hypocrisy bothers me.

To Sandy, I will miss seeing you around here. I understand removing yourself from this environment, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C V
msg tools
mbmbmb
BGG is now 3 for 3 on locking threads because the hyper left and hyper right go straight for the jugular without the slightest chance of having an adult conversation.

Whatever happened to the days of making a concise point and backing it up with supporting arguments? I guess it's just easier to crap all over everything and call it an entitled opinion.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the AS threads and I hope they can find another avenue with people capable of comprehensive reading skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
Mortavius wrote:
possibly as a result of private messages he may or may not have received

You have no evidence of this, and "possibly... may or may not" is not a defense of making shit up whole-cloth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
I don't think this topic has enough threads. Best to make a few more just in case...

Well when the rational people want to post but the threads are locked how do you suggest they participate in the discussion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piman wrote:
Mortavius wrote:
possibly as a result of private messages he may or may not have received

You have no evidence of this, and "possibly... may or may not" is not a defense of making shit up whole-cloth.

Not sure how you can confuse "possibly" and "may or may not have" for a 100% assertive statement. Not to mention it seems like a pretty fair inference since there was discussion about direct messaging him for two pages in one of the threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
reddish22 wrote:
Not sure how you can confuse "possibly" and "may or may not have" for a 100% assertive statement.

"It's possible it may or may not rain tonight." is not a 100% assertive statement.

"It's possible Mortavius may or may not not be the Zodiac killer" is shit-stirring, intended to establish suspicion of something there's completely no evidence for (and in fact plenty of evidence against).

reddish22 wrote:
Not to mention it seems like a pretty fair inference since there was discussion about direct messaging him for two pages in one of the threads.

Yeah, as an alternative to discussion in the thread. People in these threads are also berating us for not doing that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has nothing to do with "hyper left" and "hyper right" in my opinion. If the discussion were framed by those political poles then my response, which is in defense of Sandy, wouldn't make sense as I would be identified in the former category if anything. To me this was a discussion that should have been about taste and propriety (and there is certainly a discussion that could have been had there) that instead was turned personal and mean spirited out of the gate. I don't like bullying or the shutting down of speech in any form. I generally don't wade into these back and forth issues, but since it was made personal, I will describe what I know of the person: a good, decent man who was attacked by a bunch of users here. Those who tried to have a civil difference of opinion were shut down to the applause of thumbs by some users who, painfully for me, I also know are good folks with good intentions.

Look, I know if I were in the company of almost all of the people on these threads I would have a grand time and we would get along swimmingly. Heck, I probably share my political and social views most with those who went after Sandy. The Internet practically encourages the best of us to create toxic discourse, though. Seriously, everybody, we need to have some deep breaths here. Not everyone who says something you find objectionable is an objectionable person deserving of a campaign of shaming.

I am pleased to say that the vast majority of folks defending Sandy (including and especially those who may not have agreed with him on matters of taste) do not want him to leave and are expressing themselves in a civil, reflective manner. For the bulk of the community here Sandy, I really, really hope you stay.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.