Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
Originally going to be an Oil Rig environment, this idea came about from another environment someone posted about a shop where heroes got equipment. Here I was thinking, hey, DC has a Flash Museum, but why not a Museum of past heroes. Heroes of different countries folklore. Could be a fun thing. I did try to show each regions heroes. I know, no Asian heroes here. I failed at that as I could not figure out any good heroes other than Hittori Hanzo or Sun Wukong and did not know what to do with either of those.

*Bio
Heroes throughout the ages were people who showed great courage and had great power, doing what others would or could not. They all left behind stories and some left behind a little more than just tales of adventure. The Museum of Heroes was erected with state of the art technology to contain and show off these powerful relics of the past to educate people as well as guard in plain sight these items of power. To anyone beware, this place is not so easily stolen from, for the treasures inside are indeed precious.

Environment: Museum of Heroes

Relic (Qty:7)
-----------------------
Excaliber (Qty:1)
HP:7
-At the start of the environment turn, if this card is in the environment play area, a player without an environment relic in their play area may skip their next play phase to put this card in their play area. If no player does, this card goes into the villain play area.
-Increase damage dealt by the target below this card by 2 and increase damage dealt to the target below this card by 1
Thaun: "The weapon didn't make him great, but it helped."

Gáe Bulg (Qty:1)
HP:5
-At the start of the environment turn, if this card is in the environment play area, a player without an environment relic in their play area may skip their next play phase to put this card in their play area. If no player does, this card goes into the villain play area.
-The player with Gáe Bulg may play an additional card during their play phase. If a villain has Gáe Bulg, at the start of the villain turn play the top card of the villain deck.
Midnight: "Vicious weapon. I prefer something more elegant."

Nemean Lion Armor (Qty:1)
HP:6
-Reduce damage dealt to Nemean Lion Armor by 1
-Redirect all damage dealt to the character below this card to Nemean Lion Armor
Edge: "Some hero. Don't see me hiding behind invincible armor."

Mjolnir (Qty:1)
-The first time each turn this character would deal a target 2 or fewer damage, they deal that target 2 lightning damage and 1 melee damage instead.
Zenobia: "I shall be worthy of my spear as he was of his hammer."

Eye of Horus (Qty:1)
HP:3
-The first time each turn the player with this card in their play area would draw a card, they draw 2 cards instead. If this card is above a villain character, the first time damage would be dealt to a villain character card below this card each round, prevent that damage.
Shade: "A powerful item. This should not be on display."

Magic Hook (Qt:1)
HP:4
-The hero below Magic Hook may use an additional power during their power phase. If this card is above the villain character, Any actions the character beneath this card would take at the end of the villain turn are also taken at the start of the villain turn.
Valura: "The power this radiates is immense. What a man."

Henry's Hammer (Qt:1)
HP:4
-At the start of the environment turn, the character below Henry's Hammer regains X HP and deals Henry's Hammer 1 irreducible psychic damage, where X= HP of Henry's Hammer
Grom: "Puny hammer don't seem special."
Evo: "Shhh. Show some respect."

Security (Qty:7)
--------------------------
Automated Guns (Qty:3)
-At the start of the environment turn, Automated Guns deals each target with a Relic above them 3 energy damage.
-When a relic is destroyed, Automated Guns deals each non-environment target (H)-1 energy damage. If Lockdown is in play, damage dealt by Automated Guns is irreducible
Sting: "Why are they aiming at us?"
Shade: "Run!"

Shield System (Qty:2)
-When this card comes into play, place all environment relics in the environment play area. Relic cards cannot leave the environment play area.
-Reduce damage to relics by 1
-If Lockdown is in play, reduce damage dealt to Shield System by 1.
Neko Noir: "These will just not do. And off they go."

Robotic Guards (Qt:2)
-At the start of the environment turn, Robotic Guards deals the 3 non-environment targets with the highest HP 2 energy damage. If lockdown is in play, Robotic Guards deals each non-environment target 3 energy damage.
Sting: "Wow. Those robots are top of the line."
Omnitron-X: "Debatable."

Other (Qty:1)
------------------
Lockdown (Qty:1)
-When this card comes into play, shuffle all environment relics in the environment trash into the environment deck, then restore all security cards to their maximum HP
-At the start of the environment turn, put the top (H)-1 security cards in the environment trash into play.
Grom: "Uh oh. Grom broke something."

Any suggestions and recommendations would be most appreciated. This is the Fourth Environment of the series I am creating.

(Edit Notes)
-Fixed wording for the ability of relics for heroes to gain them.
-Fixed wording on ability of Eye of Horus to prevent infinite Loop
-Fixed wording on first ability of Lockdown
-Reworked targeting of Robotic Guards
-Removed removal ability on Lockdown and altered 3rd ability to activate every environment turn.
-Added ability to Automated Guns to target heroes. They seem to be stealing the relics, so why not.
-Removed redirect ability of Shield System and added new 1st ability, and increased HP of Shield System from 3 to 5
-Added damage increasing ability to Excaliber so that the hero beneath it takes more damage. No one with Excaliber has ever had a long rule.
-Clarified activation of abilities on Lockdown
-Fixed wording on Eye of Horus
-Reworked relics so that they can go to and benefit villain characters.
-Fixed targeting issue on Mjolnir
-Fixed wording and targeting on Security cards
-Fixed wording on Lockdowns HP restoration
-Changed condition effect and wording in order to allow space for room on card on Relic cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without reading the whole thing, I'll note that the way the various Relics are worded, whenever a hero skips their play phase, they get all of them. Also, you can potentially just have everyone skip their play phase in order to get benefits like +2 damage for their power.

Or, y'know, use your power to deal 4 and 3 with Mjolnir and Excalibur strapped to it, plus if you use your extra power that deals self-damage, it goes to the armor. And then the hero last in turn order heals a bunch.

Also, they draw infinite cards. :C Eye of Horus needs to be reworded to first card draw each turn, otherwise that second card draw just makes it draw another card. I mean, right now, it's "draw your deck". That's the only thing that will stop the infinite loop.

Shield System seems like a good play with Nemean Lion Armor. It becomes your own personal Stealth Bot, and though no one else can get the benefit, who cares?

Lockdown might be a little busy, but I appreciate that it makes the Security cards a bigger threat. That said, the copious Relics are already really helpful for the heroes, so the Security should probably not be. For instance, Robotic Guards could hit the 3 highest targets instead of all villains, then if Lockdown is out, it hits everything...

Oh wait. Lockdown never can be out. Literally the only way it will be out for more than a turn is if something plays it in the middle of the round. So those Security clauses are pretty much never going to happen. I would recommend just leaving Lockdown in play. It then becomes a bit of a "first hero kill it" priority, but still, if you can get some utility out of it during at least the environment turn if not the villain turn, it's worth using it to ramp up the danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
It's spelt Gáe Bulg no apostraphie, you can drop the fadha/accent and no one would notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Interesting theme for a deck, seems like it'd be fun to get even more superpowered!

It does seem like it would be very easy, the bulk of the decks are Relics which give you some kind of bonus, but in the worst case you just ignore them, which means that they're never going to have a negative effect. Robotic Guards mostly help us fight the villains, shields defend our relics, that leaves turrets as the only potentially negative one.

Bear in mind that the only way to get rid of relics is by hitting them, and a lot of villains have no particular way to do that (deal damage to all hero targets is pretty universal, but dealing damage to hero and environment targets is fairly uncommon). They could build up to troubling proportions. Excalibur in particular seems very powerful - add it to say Tempest with Electrical Storm and Hail Storm and you're wiping a lot of the board each turn.

I do like the idea, but I think to be a bit more dynamic and balanced, it'd be good if the villain had some way to potentially benefit? Maybe half the relics instead go on and buff the villain? I think the security stuff also needs something of a rethink, Takewalker is right about what Lockdown would do at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Take Walker is right about gaining all the relics at once too, to avoid that make it specific:

"A player may skip their play phase to put this card above their character card."

That wording makes you skip for the specific card, the current wording triggers in any skipped play phase.

One problem that can arise is the relics, in many fights, will only be attacked or destroyed by heroes. So once they get them there is little threat of losing them.

It may seem strange thematically, but mechanically, the best way for the environment to recover relics is to attack them.

For example, a guard trying to take back the relics could do something like:

At the end of the environment turn deal each environment relic and the target it is above 2 projectile damage.

That would help limit how long heroes can keep them, and put a bit of a cost on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the input and I have made quite a few changes to the deck using said input. I do feel that the relics should help the villains a little as well, just have not figured out a way to utilize that aspect yet. The little drawbacks I have put in so far are a good start in my opinion. Lockdown should feel more imposing now and Shield System will be more of a hindering factor now to the heroes. Other security cards are also more of a pain to heroes as well, so that should make things fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendal Reed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
When are the effects on Lockdown supposed to happen? Is it meant to be "do each of these things once and then remove this card", like Spinning Vortex, Falling Statuary, Atlantean Font of Power, &etc.? Or does it stay in play, and some of the effects happen each environment turn?
If it's supposed to leave play after doing its thing, you need to add that to the text.
If it stays in play, you need to specify which of its effects repeat and when. It could also use an effect that lets the heroes destroy it by paying some cost (see Wagner Mars Base and Tomb of Anubis for examples). A few games in Madame Mittermeier's Fantastical Festival of Conundrums and Curiosities will show you that non-target environment cards with no self-destruct condition can be ANNOYING.

Some other problems and fix ideas:

Adelphophage wrote:
It does seem like it would be very easy, the bulk of the decks are Relics which give you some kind of bonus, but in the worst case you just ignore them, which means that they're never going to have a negative effect.

Easy fix: a mechanic that gives some relics to the villain(s). Gáe Bulg, Mjolnir, the Eye of Horus, and Magic Hook would need additional changes to make them do things for a villain, but the other three could simply have something like "At the start of the environment turn, if no environment Relic has more HP than this card, move this card above the villain character card with the highest HP." and swap "the hero below this card" in the main effect for "the character below this card".
(This would also help with heroes having too many Relics- if each Relic has this effect, then the only way the heroes can have all the Relics in play is if someone skipped their play phase to acquire one this round. Plus, it encourages heroes to attack Relics to maintain control of them, which gives them an expiration date.)

Ideas for villain effects:
* Eye of Horus: "The first time damage would be dealt to a villain character card below this card each round, prevent that damage."
(The villain sees all, and is expecting your attack!)

* Gáe Bulg: "At the start of the villain turn, play the top card of this character's villain deck."

* Mjolnir: "The first time each turn this character would deal 2 or fewer damage, that target deals 2 lightning damage and 1 melee damage instead."
(You could technically use this whether the character is a hero or a villain.)

* Magic Hook: "End of turn effects on this villain card also act at the start of the villain turn."

Adelphophage wrote:
Bear in mind that the only way to get rid of relics is by hitting them, and a lot of villains have no particular way to do that (deal damage to all hero targets is pretty universal, but dealing damage to hero and environment targets is fairly uncommon). They could build up to troubling proportions.

Letting relics go to the villain and help them instead should create incentive for the heroes to hit them. The specific effect I outlined makes the villain pick a relic based on its HP, which is even more incentive- if you want to keep a specific one away from the villain, your best option is to attack it.
If that's not enough, and you still want the villain to work on smashing things too, you could add "This card counts as a target from the deck of the character it's above." to each relic, making each a hero target when a hero has it, and a villain target when a villain has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Melanson
msg tools
Jaggid88 wrote:

Eye of Horus (Qty:1)
HP:3
-A player may skip their play phase to put this card above their character card
-The first time the player with this card would draw a card, they draw 2 cards instead

The first time after getting the relic? The first time each turn? The first time each round? The first time on that hero's turn?

Also, the wording "The first time the player with this card..." is not quite how GTG would phrase it. It would likely be "The first time [each turn] a player with this card in their play area draws a card..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your input guys. I have used them to improve the deck. I have changed wording so that relics can benefit villain characters. The wording may be a bit lengthy and I welcome any way to shorten anything on the relic cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Mjolnir: you may wish to clarify that the damage from Mjolnir's ability is dealt to the same target as the original damage.

Magic Hook's villain text could be changed to "Any actions the character beneath this card would take at the end of the villain turn are also taken at the start of the villain turn."

Automated Guns: should be "deals each hero with a Relic above them 3 energy damage.", "deals each non-environment target (H)-1 energy damage", and "damage dealt by Automated Guns is irreducible." Also, "hero" could be replaced with "character" to also hit villains.

Shield System: should be "place all environment relics in the environment play area. Relic cards cannot leave the environment play area."

Robotic Guards: should be "deals each non-environment target 3 energy damage."

Lockdown: should be "restore all security cards to their maximum HP."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Alex for the wording fixes. Greatly appreciate any and all helps to making these decks perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added flavor text to deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Jaggid88 wrote:
The wording may be a bit lengthy
I think you're right. There's a quick-and-dirty way to check here. Of course if you don't plan to put these into card templates it matters less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tosx wrote:
Jaggid88 wrote:
The wording may be a bit lengthy
I think you're right. There's a quick-and-dirty way to check here. Of course if you don't plan to put these into card templates it matters less.
Yeah. Several of these cards are in high 400s to low 500s for characters. Need to whittle down the character amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reworked the ability condition on the relic cards to fit all text on a card. It is still a little long. Anyone with any ideas on more condensing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.