Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other one was highjacket by off topic banter. So lets continue here.
I know it should not be necessary..alas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not interested in it.

1) No need for 5th player in my groups
2) Trying to wean myself off expansions
3) Not too impressed by what it offers
4) Plenty of replayability in the core box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morris Ho
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in it.

1) Although I might not play this with 5 players, I can finally play with purple (and no one my group will be forced to play yellow anymore)
2) I'm just an expansion hoe
3) Not too many details about how the new mechanics will change up the game, but I would never say no to variety

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited about a new travel board. Travel and the variation of the cities has always been my favorite part of the game. So more and varied travel options is a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Not interested in it.

I didn't know this was an 'expansion.' I thought it was just an updated reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:
Not interested in it.

I didn't know this was an 'expansion.' I thought it was just an updated reprint.

The Voyages of Marco Polo: Agents of Venice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colemunrochitty wrote:
Frank Hamrick wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:
Not interested in it.

The Voyages of Marco Polo: Agents of Venice

Thread moved to "Die Gefährten des Marco Polo"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre E
Germany
Krummhoern
flag msg tools
Just half way exited though the base game is one of my all time favourites.

No need for 5th player for me.Without the venice board I'm quite sure 5 would have been to many.

Venice board with new travel spot and more city cards - nice to have.

New chracaters ? Oh well let's give it a try though I guess it was difficult to find new balanced ones.

The companions - these are the brilliant twist for me.With them some more(bonus?) actions are available that contribute to your plans when most spots will be taken and help to squeeze out more points.Especially useful with more players.

Does anyone know if they are free for all or exclusively chosen in the beginning like the characters? First I thought the latter one.The more I think of it I tend to believe that they are available for all each round.Anyway I'm convinced that both variants will work.

In the end it's a clear Must have. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Saracco
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing - G.B. Shaw
badge
No matter how you look at it, I'm the nicest in the world!
mbmb
RKron wrote:
Very interested in it.

1) Although I might not play this with 5 players, I can finally play with purple (and no one my group will be forced to play yellow anymore)

Purple is nice but.. Yellow's the best color!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio Saracco
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing - G.B. Shaw
badge
No matter how you look at it, I'm the nicest in the world!
mbmb
Anyway, greatly interested into this one. Definitely a MUST BUY for me.

I'm moving away from buying new games, and more into expansions as time for playing is little (and time for learning ever less).

MP has been a blast so far, I would play it over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peterhelm wrote:
The other one was highjacket by off topic banter. So lets continue here.
I know it should not be necessary..alas

Well, it wasn't really necessary. In actuality, the vehicle being highjacked was abandoned by the roadside and its trailer bereft of cargo. More precisely, off-topic banter ceased at the end of July, at which time the floor was totally open to really talk about the expansion to one's content. And yet, what followed was weeks of near-total silence for all of August. Then at the start of September there were a few posts that disturbed the void, followed by a greater spate of peevish high dudgeon about that rather slight disturbance. Then, back to the regularly-scheduled torpor. Let's not conflate doing a few doughnuts in a deserted parking lot with a rampage in a bustling metropolis.

Now that we've got a spanking new thread that's bristling with activity, I'll share my thoughts in the hopes that it will ignite genial discussion of a topical nature....
Blechbirne wrote:
Just half way exited though the base game is one of my all time favourites.

No need for 5th player for me.Without the venice board I'm quite sure 5 would have been to many.

Venice board with new travel spot and more city cards - nice to have.

New chracaters ? Oh well let's give it a try though I guess it was difficult to find new balanced ones.

The companions - these are the brilliant twist for me.With them some more(bonus?) actions are available that contribute to your plans when most spots will be taken and help to squeeze out more points.Especially useful with more players.

Does anyone know if they are free for all or exclusively chosen in the beginning like the characters? First I thought the latter one.The more I think of it I tend to believe that they are available for all each round.Anyway I'm convinced that both variants will work.

In the end it's a clear Must have. :-)

I could be a lot more excited than I currently am. I think there are some things about Marco Polo that I'd like to see addressed through an expansion:

1) A new main board with more interesting and perhaps balanced costs, or alternatively ways to alter the existing board even further. Right now, The topmost path is inherently more efficient than the lower paths. The other paths require more camels, or in the lowest paths case, coin generation. Not a real pressing issue, granted.

2) A more problematic issue to my mind is that many games boil down to having few (pragmatic) means to generate VP, and the random distribution of objective cards can effectively tilt the game heavily to some players' favor, either by giving players impractical combinations of routes, or by leaving players prescribed to low-yield routes. At the very least, I would continue to contend that character selection take place *between* the dealing and selection of objective cards.

New characters are generally welcome, but of course that is mitigated by the qualities of the characters. Do we really need more "discount" characters along the lines of Berke Khan, like a "fewer camels n' gold" guy? I was initially attracted to the game by the characters that lend themselves to playing the game in innovative ways, like the Polo brothers, Caprini, Kublai Khan, and Rubruk. These days, I think most of those characters amount to playing against the house much of the time when selections like Berke, Mercatur, Matteo, and Raschid can play any given game in a fairly vanilla fashion.

As for Venice, I'm not a fan of adding side boards to a game, and the very point of Marco Polo is that it's sufficiently dynamic not to need such cumbersome methods to tack on more branches to the decision tree. I'm intrigued by the companions. What brilliant twist do they represent exactly? Has any intel been gathered about them?

As for a 5th player--well, something I do have four other people at a table, so why not? I wonder if that will actually result in further changes to the game (e.g. expanding the Khan's favor or reducing the cost of stacking). Consider how densely packed the action spaces can get in a four-player game.

Ultimately, I cannot kid myself. This is a must-buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre E
Germany
Krummhoern
flag msg tools
steveg700 wrote:

1) A new main board with more interesting and perhaps balanced costs, or alternatively ways to alter the existing board even further. Right now, The topmost path is inherently more efficient than the lower paths. The other paths require more camels, or in the lowest paths case, coin generation. Not a real pressing issue, granted.

2) A more problematic issue to my mind is that many games boil down to having few (pragmatic) means to generate VP, and the random distribution of objective cards can effectively tilt the game heavily to some players' favor, either by giving players impractical combinations of routes, or by leaving players prescribed to low-yield routes. At the very least, I would continue to contend that character selection take place *between* the dealing and selection of objective cards.

New characters are generally welcome, but of course that is mitigated by the qualities of the characters.

As for Venice, I'm not a fan of adding side boards to a game, and the very point of Marco Polo is that it's sufficiently dynamic not to need such cumbersome methods to tack on more branches to the decision tree.

I'm intrigued by the companions.
What brilliant twist do they represent exactly? Has any intel been gathered about them?

Ultimately, I cannot kid myself. This is a must-buy.

To add some thoughts...

1.) I don't agree with you. May be the Moscow route is taken a bit more often but it really depends on the board setup and cards available. The Venice - Alexandria - Ormuz - Xian - Beijing route is taken quite often, too. With the right cards the Alexandria - Adana - Kochi - Beijing route also works. The mountain route Samarcanda - Kashgar is really seldom taken, I agree. It also depends on the route the players are going to travel. Sometimes you are better off taking the second best route if you can travel it alone.

2.) I don't fully understand this point. Are you saying that there are too few ways of generating points? So you might like the expansion...but I don't think character selection is changed.

New characters- let's see what they are about.

Companions - I only got some things from the iconography from a picture. I think they provide new actions (as there are spots on them to place your dice) or give a discount (which you might dislike)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blechbirne wrote:
1.) I don't agree with you. May be the Moscow route is taken a bit more often but it really depends on the board setup and cards available. The Venice - Alexandria - Ormuz - Xian - Beijing route is taken quite often, too. With the right cards the Alexandria - Adana - Kochi - Beijing route also works. The mountain route Samarcanda - Kashgar is really seldom taken, I agree. It also depends on the route the players are going to travel. Sometimes you are better off taking the second best route if you can travel it alone.

You should pretty much always expect the Moscow route to be in contention before the first round begins. It's just an easy route to Beiijing, with two one-hop jumps. If you want to move on the first turn and drop a house, it's probably going down Moscow or Alexandria's way, if not past them.

If you have can swing an extra 15 gold, Alexandria to Xian is okay--I'll take small cities over large most days--but a lot of folks set their sights on Kochi and just get stuck before or after because other players (often actively) screwed them out of money.

Quote:
2.) I don't fully understand this point. Are you saying that there are too few ways of generating points? So you might like the expansion...but I don't think character selection is changed.

I'm saying that a postmortem of many games of VoMP tend to show that that the random deal of objective cards was a very swingy factor in a game where all other point leads are derived through painful, meticulous efficiency.

Quote:
New characters- let's see what they are about.

Companions - I only got some things from the iconography from a picture. I think they provide new actions (as there are spots on them to place your dice) or give a discount (which you might dislike)

I don't mind having new places to put dice. Just don't care for characters whose whole schtick is just an easy button applied to a familiar set of tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super excited about it. Looks to be well thought out and will be a great addition to this wonderful game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RKron wrote:
Very interested in it.

2) I'm just an expansion hoe
3) Not too many details about how the new mechanics will change up the game, but I would never say no to variety

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOO

+1 expansion Hoe over here arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anyone got solid info on a release date? Pre-orders up anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluffy Fluff
msg tools
When will the rules be available on BGG? Why there are so less pictures for this expansion available? :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.