Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Wash the enemies no primary... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just got myself to a S&S Legendary pledge and I was thinking on doing something to the minis.
I'm no painter and I believe I don't want be lol
But I came across 2 simple techniques ( wash and dipping ). I was wondering, since the enemies are color coded, if I just could wash the enemies on their base color with some black or another suggested color and then apply some mate varnish, anyone did this only? Do you recommend it?

Also anyone just dip the heroes and wash the ghost only???

If anyone has some images thank you
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried it with these minis specifically, but generally the problem with applying a wash to unpainted plastic is it just doesn't stick to the model at all. So it'll probably slide right off the figure without having any effect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn Van Der Eerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
indeed, just wash not a good idea.
What u can do is just two base coat layers with a rattle ca. (just a base coat spray can).
For instance, first dark gray, en than from above white on top.... and than you can use wash for the entire model.

Or in S&S case, base blue, and then white on top
green with yellow on top....
just a thought....

like this

grtzz

Peepster
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepster1976 wrote:
indeed, just wash not a good idea.
What u can do is just two base coat layers with a rattle ca. (just a base coat spray can).
For instance, first dark gray, en than from above white on top.... and than you can use wash for the entire model.

Or in S&S case, base blue, and then white on top
green with yellow on top....
just a thought....

like this

grtzz

Peepster


Guys bare with me has i'm a total noob in painting LOL
ok i see that painting over plastic is a no no idea, BUT and if i use vitrail paint ? it's a transparent paint for glass, do you think it should stick with after applying varnish ?

Also Pepjin, you made a mess out of my brain LOL i have no experience in paiting and i only got some tips from a friend that paints a bit. You need to explain what a rattle ca. is LOL

thanks for the help thou
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn Van Der Eerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
a rattle can is just a spray can (rattle because when you shake it, the ball inside make a rattle sound).
U can use these, to make the first layer of paint on the miniature; the so called base coat.
advice: make it dark grey, (light grey or white)....
Then you can spray a second layer on it with a lighter colour (white), and spray this from the top to the base, so only the upper parts of the miniature is white... see frost giant miniature (bones 3 reaper KS)

thats it, than u have a miniature with lots of contrast.... On this miniature u CAN use washes...

Very basic, give it a go.....

grtzz

Peepster
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Peepster1976 wrote:
a rattle can is just a spray can (rattle because when you shake it, the ball inside make a rattle sound).
U can use these, to make the first layer of paint on the miniature; the so called base coat.
advice: make it dark grey, (light grey or white)....
Then you can spray a second layer on it with a lighter colour (white), and spray this from the top to the base, so only the upper parts of the miniature is white... see frost giant miniature (bones 3 reaper KS)

thats it, than u have a miniature with lots of contrast.... On this miniature u CAN use washes...

Very basic, give it a go.....

grtzz

Peepster


Yours look cool!
I see, but i can't use this on S&S minis because they are "color coded" i can't paint them grey and then white with a spray can because they will lose their color no »?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The technique explained is actually called Zenithal Highlighting. Here's a nice video tutorial:



Everything explained in the video can also be done with different spray cans (e.g. black, then grey, then white). Normally you won't need a wash afterwards.

An even easier way would be to just prime the miniatures using a spray can and then apply a wash. There are numerous options of which primer or wash you can use. I'll just explain what I think is most suited to your situation:

1. Get a can of white primer (I use Army Painter or Citadel) and get washes in the three enemy colors (green, red, purple) and a black one (I mostly use Citadel washes). Prime all miniatures uniformly and then apply the appropriately colored wash.

2. Get cans of colored primer from either Army Painter or Citadel (again White, Green, Red and Purple) and get a black or brown wash, depending on what you prefer (Citadel Nuln Oil or Army Painter Quick Shade). Prime the minis using the appropriate colors and then use the wash on all of them.

3. Use the technique described above and then use an appropriately colored wash to maintain the enemies colors.

Leave the minis to dry for some hours afterwards.

The last step is to apply a matt varnish (again, spray can) to remove the shine and seal the paint to protect it.


edit: Added option #3 to go with the Zenithal Highlighting approach.
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mats Wallin
msg tools
Hi Joao

Im not a painter myself but after watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MwmAyEpVA

i bought some base stuff like spray, base colors , shade , and some dry colors and yes its not fantastic but its looking quite good and is alot better then play with grey minis.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zwalder wrote:
Hi Joao

Im not a painter myself but after watching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MwmAyEpVA

i bought some base stuff like spray, base colors , shade , and some dry colors and yes its not fantastic but its looking quite good and is alot better then play with grey minis.



Amazing job on those orcs!
I really don't want to paint with all that detail... I really just want to primer and shade, being the shade dipped or painted. I also might try the Zenithal technique.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that painting wash directly on the minis was a waste of time. I painted with blue or red wash and it was barely discernible.

Black wash just made it look dirty. I would suggest priming then base coating with the color you want and then a wash. You could easily combine priming and base coating into one by using red,green or blue paint. I think that would work on these minis.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Brown washes tend to be a lot more versatile and forgiving than black washes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadknot69 wrote:
I can confirm that painting wash directly on the minis was a waste of time. I painted with blue or red wash and it was barely discernible.

Black wash just made it look dirty. I would suggest priming then base coating with the color you want and then a wash. You could easily combine priming and base coating into one by using red,green or blue paint. I think that would work on these minis.


Already ordered primer in the minis colors and i ordered washes on the same colors has well...

So i can test:

prime a red mini in red prime and wash brown\black.

prime a red mini in white and wash with red.

No ideia what would look nicer tbh... 0 experience in this field
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Santos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:

So i can test:

prime a red mini in red prime and wash brown\black.

prime a red mini in white and wash with red.

No ideia what would look nicer tbh... 0 experience in this field


Let us know how it goes! I already have some AP white primer, and since I'm cheap I'm planning on using that with different color washes. I'd be interested to see if different color primers end up working any better.

Btw, do you guys still use a matte finish spray after brushing on a wash?

I was also considering just giving them all the same wash and coloring the rim of the bases in their respective colors. My copy hasn't come in yet, so I'm not sure if any of these approaches makes it easier/harder for gameplay purposes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! I just realized that I completely missed that there are also blue enemies.

Don't forget to post pictures after you're done, Joao!


jerrylsantos wrote:
Btw, do you guys still use a matte finish spray after brushing on a wash

I'd advice to always put a thin layer of varnish after you're finished with the miniature. It protects the wash and paint from the normal oil in our skin when handling them. I prefer to use matte varnish, but YMMV.

If you're extremely cautious you can do two layers, one with gloss or satin varnish and after that's dry another one with matte varnish. Although this is certainly not needed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zakoholic wrote:
Hah! I just realized that I completely missed that there are also blue enemies.

Don't forget to post pictures after you're done, Joao!


jerrylsantos wrote:
Btw, do you guys still use a matte finish spray after brushing on a wash

I'd advice to always put a thin layer of varnish after you're finished with the miniature. It protects the wash and paint from the normal oil in our skin when handling them. I prefer to use matte varnish, but YMMV.

If you're extremely cautious you can do two layers, one with gloss or satin varnish and after that's dry another one with matte varnish. Although this is certainly not needed.


I know Marius

But i didn't



(the Desert Yellow is for the Anachrony minis)

I actually just did the Chests and Doors with white primer and some "Portuguese equivalent" to MinWax... I actually like the way they are... but i need to give some touches to the chests (first timers always suffer LOL)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My test with a mynwax similar product...

https://imgur.com/a/zWK1h

2 of the doors i went for a more "wash" look hence they are brighter, the others i went for a more "dipping" look hence more dark. Not really sure what i like more, but probably the darker one.

It's still missing the no shine varnish coat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.